RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #57

I am a motorcyclist (BMW R1100RS) & often use the REVER app for navigation, even in my passenger car, because you can set your preferences to avoid interstates, prefer scenic routes, etc. You may want to use caution using this app if you are in a big rig or large camper.

DNHOFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #58

Florida to PA

My wife and I had a great trip from Jacksonville Florida to north of Philly on all non interstate coastal roads. The views are incredible.

Levi707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #59

I only use Interstates as a last resort. I would never cross the Great Plains on an interstate when there are almost always state highways with 65mph speed limits and there are few towns.

You see almost nothing on an Interstate. Signs for fast food and bears in captivity.

Get off the interstate and see America.
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
101 goes all the way to downtown LA.

Glenn
Actually, 101 runs the length of the coast. I live a mile from it in Oregon and I used to live near it in San Diego.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
We have taken several of the old federal highways. The speed is 55 max and will take you through may small towns with speeds down to 25mph. Slower travel, better roads, and not a bad way to go. Speed is up and down so not so many 55mph sections. My parents went rout 20 from Boston, Massachusetts to Newport, Oregon. They loved seeing the small towns it takes you through and did not care how long it took. So it depends if you are time limited.
In the plains states the speed limit is often 65mph.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #62

Do Route 66! Very old time Scenic venues, cafe's, etc.
HDTripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:50 AM   #63

We are looking forward to taking route 66 across country.

And then ?
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey3214 View Post
Actually, 101 runs the length of the coast. I live a mile from it in Oregon and I used to live near it in San Diego.
101 actually moves inland and 1 is along the coast in much of CA, check the map. I was a bit confused about it too, perhaps I still am.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #65

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
Sure........done it dozens of times.

Just don't do Jerome AZ or climb / descend the cliff at Mexican Hat, or exceed he ferry lengths along the Gulf.

oz, grumpy old guy..........
I'd driven through Jerome in my Ranger PU. It's an old mining town built on the side of a steep mountain - I didn't remember it as all that bad so decided to return in the 23' Class C Jamboree. It wasn't the narrow streets and sharp hairpin turns, it was the rock overhangs on several blind corners that freaked me out. And freak me out they did.

Descending the cliff at Mexican Hat, also known as the Moki Dugway.

2018 - 38,295 miles (153% Earth's circumference ), April 15th - Nov. 15th, 47 states including Alaska, 9 Canadian provinces and 2 Territories.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwk50 View Post
Several decades ago a book was published that covered this very topic perfectly. It was written (if my memory hasn't' completely failed me) by William Least Heat Moon, a Native American, and is titled Blue Highways. Blue highways is a reference to old school hiwhway maps where primary routes were in red, secondary routes in blue, smaller roads in varying shades of black/gray etc. The author had undergone a personal, emotional traumatic event in his life and wanted to both avoid as much interaction and solitude as possible. It may be a difficult book to find as it is out of print, but I have found it at Powells City of Books in PORTLAND OR, and online from them and other sites. A major consideration is what you travel in, as many [I]Blue Highways[I] contain height and weight restrictions. Other than that, go for it as you will find the true joy of travel and discovery in our great country.
A very enjoyable book. I believe his trip was in 1978, and his chronicles are of what he saw and heard then. Title can be found online in ebook form if you can't find an old copy.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
101 actually moves inland and 1 is along the coast in much of CA, check the map. I was a bit confused about it too, perhaps I still am.

Steve
I haven't done south of San Francisco in years. I know it heads inland coming into the Lost Coast heading toward Garberville.

There was a section closed for a loooong time due to a landslide that recently reopened.

I can just barely catch a glimpse of 101 about a mile away downriver from the end of my deck.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
I'd driven through Jerome in my Ranger PU. It's an old mining town built on the side of a steep mountain - I didn't remember it as all that bad so decided to return in the 23' Class C Jamboree. It wasn't the narrow streets and sharp hairpin turns, it was the rock overhangs on several blind corners that freaked me out. And freak me out they did.

Descending the cliff at Mexican Hat, also known as the Moki Dugway.
Used to live in the Colorado section of the Four Corners area. About 8,000ft up in the San Juans. A couple years ago we had fulfilled all our Christmas obligations/opportunities beforehand. We spent the holiday in Monument Valley. We took the road in your picture along the way. Pretty cool
Old 10-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I’m sure with a lot of planning you can go just about anywhere without using the Interstate system. But the idea that some have that the Interstates somehow travel in another plane of existence and therefore there’s nothing to see out the window is ludicrous.
While I don’t agree that there is nothing to see from Interstate travel, we have discovered that it is, in your words, a different plane of existence. Interstates tend to bypass the towns and local flavor that the state and U.S. Highways travel through. We liken it to flying in that, often, the Interstate roadbed is elevated, the traffic commands most of the driver’s attention, and thus it is so easy to just ‘fly’ right on by things that might otherwise trigger our interests. Having said that, however, there sure are times that we jump on the Interstate in an effort to—as we refer to it—“fast forward” when knocking out some serious miles becomes the priority.

To to OP, it is possible to coast-to-coast on non-Interstate roads, and yes, there may be some linking/duality on Interstates. But as we like to say:

Some highways are paved
while trails are graveled,
Where less can be more,
when our roads are less traveled.
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #70

Blue Highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkar View Post
A very enjoyable book. I believe his trip was in 1978, and his chronicles are of what he saw and heard then. Title can be found online in ebook form if you can't find an old copy.
He did it in a 60's Ford Econoline, IIRC, taking odd jobs to flesh out the ~$900 he started with & driving 14K miles. Every time I see the title, I'm reminded of No Name, TN.

If you are going to attempt a Blue Highways jaunt, you should be aware of the propensity of too many small jurisdictions which depend on motorists to enhance their revenue stream. You would be better prepared to understand the phenomena if you read the articles in this link: https://bit.ly/2oYgdMT

Great idea, something that's on my bucket list.

Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote