Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #43

We traveled the entire length of US 60 from Virginia Beach to the California state line where it merges with the interstate. Beautiful drive and you get to visit all the little towns that were forgotten when they were bypassed by the interstates. The roads are great and most are in better condition than interstates. We plan to do it again!
Lloydrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #44

Hwy 50 start in Va. and goes to Calf. Changes to Alt. routes sometimes then back to 50
Pretty neat, you get to see a lot.
sjim46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
It has always been a dream of mine to drive from one side of the country without the use of an Interstate and wondered if anybody has done it or if it is even really possible? Just curious.
We have done three trips cross country ( Oregon to Boston) and always traveled off interstates unless we had to make a short detour for some reason. Best part is no freeway traffic, slower speeds, and you have more choices for small local restaurants VS McDonalds. Down side is it takes a little longer and sometimes harder to find an RV campsite. Wouldn't do it any other way!
RogueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Several decades ago a book was published that covered this very topic perfectly. It was written (if my memory hasn't' completely failed me) by William Least Heat Moon, a Native American, and is titled Blue Highways. Blue highways is a reference to old school hiwhway maps where primary routes were in red, secondary routes in blue, smaller roads in varying shades of black/gray etc. The author had undergone a personal, emotional traumatic event in his life and wanted to both avoid as much interaction and solitude as possible. It may be a difficult book to find as it is out of print, but I have found it at Powells City of Books in PORTLAND OR, and online from them and other sites. A major consideration is what you travel in, as many [I]Blue Highways[I] contain height and weight restrictions. Other than that, go for it as you will find the true joy of travel and discovery in our great country.
mwk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #47

We have taken several of the old federal highways. The speed is 55 max and will take you through may small towns with speeds down to 25mph. Slower travel, better roads, and not a bad way to go. Speed is up and down so not so many 55mph sections. My parents went rout 20 from Boston, Massachusetts to Newport, Oregon. They loved seeing the small towns it takes you through and did not care how long it took. So it depends if you are time limited.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the 5000 plus miles we have done though 20 states over the last 7 months has been on rural routes. But we plan on finishing the last 5 states using the inter states
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #49

Buy a decent road atlas (I use Rand McNally) and learn how to identify NON superhighways. I seek 2 lane roads as identified by color. I then learned to use GPS "via's" to make sure that my route from A to B, while being the quickest, keeps me on 2ndary roads.
Maine to Florida, Florida to Glacier National Park, Alaska highway thru Canada to Alaska, all through Alaska, down thru BC to Washington, then to 101 and down to San Franisco, inland to Reno, to Las Vegas then Grand Canyon. Only drove on one superhighway, Rt. 80 over Donner Pass to Reno.
Some of my trips have involved using 2 or 3 "via's" to avoid maor highways.
Yes, it CAN be done and it is (for me) the BEST way to travel. Seeing the small towns, the occsional stoplight, visiting the occasional roadside attraction is what makes our trip so much fun.
Bob '14 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #50

We do it on dual-sport motorcycles. Intentional.

Stop at any motorcycle shop in Oregon.
We have maps of Oregon scenic by-ways.

Other than getting frazzled among a few thousand other frazzled travelers, I see no benefit to traveling Inter-State highways.
Oh, sure, I was intrigued by the (1976?) opening of The Pan-American Highway going Canada through Mexico, but that wore-off pretty quick.
Once is enough.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #51
ORF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
It has always been a dream of mine to drive from one side of the country without the use of an Interstate and wondered if anybody has done it or if it is even really possible? Just curious.
Unless I need to get from Point A to Point B in a hurry, I will set GPS to "Avoid Highways."
When going through cities though, I will use freeways.
ORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwk50 View Post
Several decades ago a book was published that covered this very topic perfectly. It was written (if my memory hasn't' completely failed me) by William Least Heat Moon, a Native American, and is titled Blue Highways. Blue highways is a reference to old school hiwhway maps where primary routes were in red, secondary routes in blue, smaller roads in varying shades of black/gray etc. <snip> It may be a difficult book to find as it is out of print, but I have found it at Powells City of Books in PORTLAND OR, and online from them and other sites.
Thanks for the tip. My county library system has a dozen copies spread out over almost as many libraries, including mine which is walking distance, so I'll be checking it out. DW is more interested in 'backroading' as she calls it than I am, but that's because she really really doesn't like highways.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #53

Watch out for clearance off the freeways

Just a word of warning that if you are off the freeway, know the height of your rig and watch for low clearance bridges, signs, lighting, trees, etc.

Folding the top of your rig like a sardine can could spoil a good trip!
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #54

Google Maps has a setting in route options to avoid highways which is their way of identifying interstates.
You will go down some small roads that may make you pucker but, that's the fun of it.
iamgs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #55

It's the only way we travel.

We have traveled from Arizona to Maine, then around the great lakes, west to the Oregon- Washington coast and back to Arizona. We avoid the interstates and big cities. We love the drive and seeing all there is to see. The trip usually takes us 4 or 5 months, but it's a great way to spend the end of the summer and fall. If you enjoy the traveling part of RVing I highly recommend doing a trip like that at least once. We are on the road now, and expecting to be home by Thanksgiving, this will be completing our 8th round trip and it has been awesome 👍.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #56

Forest River Owners Club
There is an older book where a guy drove all over the US on secondary roads. It is called "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. What's neat about reading it is the way he searched out things to see. He did it in an old van.

I drive only on the Interstate when I am trying to get somewhere quick. I have driven trips where 90% is not interstate and loved it. I think you can find great articles about great highways that cover many states, some like Highway 50 have sections that include interstate highways but others like Highway 83 run from Texas to Canada as one road.
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote