Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #15

In 9 years used headlights only when caught in rain, and once when we left at 3 am
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #16

When young and working I used to drive at night all the time. This was typically to get in position for the next day or to just eat up the miles heading cross country for a far away destination. My favorite technique was to lay about a half mile behind a set of tail lights and just follow them cross country.

Nowadays a night time drive would be a rare event. A good day might be a couple hundred miles and often times no more than 75 or a hundred.
keepmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
On the road between 8-9 am. Off the road by 3-4 pm. Usually stop every hour or so for potty breaks, dog walks and a little longer if eating lunch.

No need to drive after dark as we seldom have to be anywhere at a specific time.

Isn't that what retirement is all about, no clocks or watches?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When I was younger I left denver at 7am and arrived in East Texas Texarkana at 130am..... dayummm never again.
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #19

We almost always travel btwn 10Am and 5 PM. Retirement is wonderful, but Tony, why leave Point Beach? LOL.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was young and stupid during the late 1960's, I used to deliver new school buses from the manufacturer in Richmond, IN to a dealer in Richmond, VA. Our group (all young and stupid) left Indiana and drove non stop day thru night until we arrived in Richmond, VA 26 hours later . I think a few of us stopped on one or two trips to take a cat nap on the seats but it was mostly a marathon run. We did stop to eat breakfast and a lot of coffee was consumed.

Now, we drive during the day with a rare exception....very rare exception.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto to all of the above plus this one from my prospective. I have a laptop GPS. The light from it seems to reflect off the glass too much. Even when not on I find the glare from headlights causes me to loose clear vision because of the windshield reflection. No, I don't drive at night.

Happy trails and sight seeing.

Rick Y
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
On the road between 8-9 am. Off the road by 3-4 pm. Usually stop every hour or so for potty breaks, dog walks and a little longer if eating lunch.

No need to drive after dark as we seldom have to be anywhere at a specific time.

Isn't that what retirement is all about, no clocks or watches?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
But you just set up appointments between 8-9, 3-4, and every hour. You use clocks and watches way too much.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #23

I prefer driving at night...less traffic and cooler weather for the diesel. If I had my way about it, I'd take off around 7:30pm and drive through about 2 am.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We must be the odd man out. We prefer traveling at night. Since our RV-ing season is mostly summer, it's cooler to travel at night & there's less traffic. Many times we don't leave home until 9PM or after, travel until after midnight, find a rest area/WM to get some sleep then & time our AM routes to avoid daytime traffic near major cities.

Lori-
We're the exact same way. When headed south, I usually leave at dinner time get around Washington DC after rush hour. I would love to sight see, but sometimes you just have to get where you're going on a limited time budget. That said, I'd love to be retired and just poke along.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you are traveling from point A to point B, do you prefer to drive at night (when traffic is lighter)? Or do you prefer to travel during the daytime so as not to miss the views?
Last question first. Since I drive I don't really get to do much sight seeing. LOL However I do enjoy driving during the day unless I'm heading west and the sun is starting to come down. It can get a bit warm up front and blinding too. However, since we try to be where we want to be before 4 PM we normally don't get too much into those problems.

OTOH, I do like driving at night when traffic volume is less of a problem.

Driving after DST has ended is usually when we run into driving when it is dark. We are often repositioning from the north down to TX and put in 6 - 7 hours hitting our favorite one night layovers. I use to HATE night time driving until I totally rebuilt my head light system. Now I enjoy having a very effective headlight system. This not only helps with cruising buy also when maneuvering in unfamiliar CGs and such.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Prefer daylight for safety ie dont want to hit a dear.
I would not want to hit a dear or a deer.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We just returned from a trip and I decided to drive through Seattle at night to avoid heavy traffic. Wrong, at 10 o clock at night it is still nuts there. Plus it was raining fairly heavy and there was a lot of night construction with there bright flashing lights.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #28

I prefer driving at night if the weather is hot/warm. Much easier on the equipment, tires, cooling system and there normally much less traffic. I can also go into a reasonably decent neighborhood and catch a few hours of sleep. If I try to sleep in the day police are sure to come around, or worse.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote