Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One of the best tips I ever got was to turn the lights on the instrument panel down to almost nothing. This keeps the glare down and helps you to see the road better.
I have driven with people who keep their instrument lights way up. When you suggest that they turn them down they always say they can see out the window much better.
Apparently the so-called night vision glasses don't help you see any better but it fools you into thinking that you can. (read that on the internet, so it must be true)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Wow. ..Key West is that bad for traffic? Was looking at a FL trip in the near future and was thinking to include the Keys but if it's that bad. ....???....
It's not that bad as long as it isn't a holiday or a weekend.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #45
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We must be the odd man out. We prefer traveling at night. Since our RV-ing season is mostly summer, it's cooler to travel at night & there's less traffic. Many times we don't leave home until 9PM or after, travel until after midnight, find a rest area/WM to get some sleep then & time our AM routes to avoid daytime traffic near major cities.

Lori-
I love night rides. Less traffic and a more relaxed drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
One of the best tips I ever got was to turn the lights on the instrument panel down to almost nothing. This keeps the glare down and helps you to see the road better.
I have driven with people who keep their instrument lights way up. When you suggest that they turn them down they always say they can see out the window much better.
Apparently the so-called night vision glasses don't help you see any better but it fools you into thinking that you can. (read that on the internet, so it must be true)
I've done that for ages and it works wonders. I really hate anything bright inside the vehicle while driving, whether it's the RV or the car. And now with these big screens in cars, fortunately mine allows me to turn the display OFF.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Daylight is when we travel. Have been caught only a couple times and had to drive at night.
Same here. Once in a while we'll be in part of the country where we reach a CG and it's too early to stop, but the next CG is a bit longer than we'd like to drive...but go anyway.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Wow. ..Key West is that bad for traffic? Was looking at a FL trip in the near future and was thinking to include the Keys but if it's that bad. ....???....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
It's not that bad as long as it isn't a holiday or a weekend.

Jon
Like Jon said.. pick your travel times wisely and you will not have an issue. Just remember its 100+ miles of two lane, through towns and long bridges. Traffic can back up quickly. The sights are absolutely amazing and you should certainly do it. Just plan accordingly...
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
day or night driving

I usually drive during the day unless I'm going though a large city. I am often up early. so if i'am going though a lg. city I plan to go though at 2-3 a.m. no traffic. My fur child sleeps right though it.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #49

In the past it did not matter if we traveled at night or during the day. However, traveling through country where wild life is more active during the night time, we have gotten to where we attempt to be off the road before dark. On our trip through Canada, we got caught between places with no pull outs and the semi tractor ahead of us hit a deer on the road. We had enough time to avoid the hitting deer, but not by much. Beside, as has already been stated, as we get older the night vision is not what it used to be.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
I usually drive during the day unless I'm going though a large city. I am often up early. so if i'am going though a lg. city I plan to go though at 2-3 a.m. no traffic. My fur child sleeps right though it.
I also prefer going thru large metropolitan areas in the very early am. Salt Lake City as an example!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
This is a lesson my flight instructor taught me that I carried over to driving autos, etc. Anyway, I prefer to sleep several hours before we leave and drive at night. Less traffic, cooler tires and engine...plus I just really prefer it. To me it is less stressful. All the deer standing along I95 do concern me, but that is one of the reasons I upgraded from our 1999 Gulfstream to the 2012 Tiffin AB. I know that if I do smack one, they have the nose to replace it.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
There is too much scenery to miss while driving at night. For us the travel is part of the destination so we like to see the country we are driving through.

I would not drive through the mountains at night because I like to look at them. There are different beauties in the prairies, deserts and everything between.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
This thread was timely reading for me. I've got a 4.5 hour drive that I've got to squeeze in between 8:30 pm on Tuesday and 9:00 am Wednesday - the week prior to Memorial Day. We've been trying to decide whether to leave on Tuesday evening and drive it through ... or wait and do a 4 am departure on Wednesday ... or maybe split it and with a WM "overnight" about an hour from our destination. We haven't driven our coach at night yet (we're newbies...) - so we're not sure about what to expect in terms of visibility with the coach headlights / how we'll react to on-coming lights from the high vantage point of the coach. I think I'm going to try the split approach ... and get my first night driving experience AND my first Walmart overnight experience on the same trip. :-)
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #54

Weekend warriors here...

I'm lucky to have a partner that drives during the day/light hours and I drive during the night/dark hours..

Our typical routine is... get off work between 3:00-5:00, get home and finish off last minute packing... then hit the road.. usually, we are only going a few hours, so, we do a lot of "dusk" driving.. but when we drive further (like this past weekend when we went to Cincy), she took the first shift, I took the second.. it really works out great for us..

Obviously, being a working stiff, time is of the essence... I'd rather drive in the evening, then give up precious daylight driving when we could be doing something else..

I do have a follow up question: I noticed many of you mention stopping at rest area's and truck stops every hour or so.. Why?? I don't stop until the fuel gauge hits 1/4 tank.. if we need to go to the bathroom... we just walk back and go..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Weekend warriors here...

I'm lucky to have a partner that drives during the day/light hours and I drive during the night/dark hours..

Our typical routine is... get off work between 3:00-5:00, get home and finish off last minute packing... then hit the road.. usually, we are only going a few hours, so, we do a lot of "dusk" driving.. but when we drive further (like this past weekend when we went to Cincy), she took the first shift, I took the second.. it really works out great for us..

Obviously, being a working stiff, time is of the essence... I'd rather drive in the evening, then give up precious daylight driving when we could be doing something else..

I do have a follow up question: I noticed many of you mention stopping at rest area's and truck stops every hour or so.. Why?? I don't stop until the fuel gauge hits 1/4 tank.. if we need to go to the bathroom... we just walk back and go..
The older you get the more one's body stiffens and the less well it tolerates just sitting as in driving. I find it really pays to stop every hour or two and just do a walk around of the rig to check everything as well as get the kinks out.

Don't forget to keep pushing the fluids while driving. You may stop more but you will also avoid the "pleasure" of kidney stones among other things. ;-)
Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #56

Since we have limited amounts of time, we drive as needed. I try and avoid mountain passes and things at night if possible, and aim to drive through pretty areas in the daytime, but it doesn't always work.

Steve