Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #15

know what you are dealing with after much thought and a couple of prayers bought a 26 ft class c thinking it would be a good starter unit , and to see if dw would be comfortable driving it.
she used too flea-market with her mom and used a van to pull a 18 ft camper every where they set up so my thoughts where this should be a piece of cake for her.
she has yet to even get in the driver seat and we have owned it a year this month, but from my experiences i will say that a class a would much more comfortable and easier to to travel in. one is the aerodynamics on a class c make them twitchy for lack of a better word when passed by 18 wheelers even with new tires and shocks it is much better now then when i got it but still noticeable
i.m planning to replace my seats this coming year not real comfortable and there isn't enough storage on a class c .
if i was to do it over i would buy a similar sized class a which in the future is my plan but i want to use this one for a few years and get some of my investment in time and money back hopefully.
her thoughts are for me to turn her loose by her self and let her figure it out by her self and i my have to bite the bullet and let her but a copilot is a very nice thing to have but she is very hard headed.
time will tell but i do agree rent something the size you are interested in and try it will save you from wondering if you would like something else better.
good luck and have fun

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
comfort

Howdy and welcome to IRV;

My wife will drive when i'm tired,we have a 29 ft. "C" but pull a 20ft. trailer with my antique car in it. After a small trip or two with just the MH wife is great with it. Just remember to swing wide on turns into side streets ect.

Good luck and most of all ENJOY!!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
[...] DO NOT YELL OR USE THE WORD STUPED OR PROFANITY.
My DW would immediately assume I had passed out, as that is my normal mode of communication.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
It all comes down to the facts vs the view of the facts. My first coach was in 1978. Started with a 26' and now am at 40'. Started with gas and now am with diesel. Comfort = air ride suspension of the diesel 40'er. Complete power steering and brakes come with the diesel. For me the 40'er is a better drive and a more comfortable drive. There are tricks to be learned, but they are easy. PM me here at iRV2 and I'll provide some really simple things one can do to drive, turn and park a 40' coach (sometimes with 20' of toad).

Some of the decision is where do you want to camp (spend no driving time). The larger the coach means you'll, most likely, not be in the old CGs, National Parks, State Parks, etc. Get fuel at the truck stops with a larger coach. There is plenty of room to maneuver. The pumps pump fuel very fast and one is in and out as fast as one wants to be. Truck stops have some good comfort food.

As to the actual driving, for me, the larger the better and easier it is to drive, turn and park. All this comes from a person whose wife has never driven a coach and will never drive a coach. She has no interest and could care less. As to what would happen if I could not drive, she says that is what Sky Med is for!
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The pumps pump fuel very fast and one is in and out as fast as one wants to be.
Gary, Do you have a 3/4" opening on your fuel fill or the larger truck stop opening, perhaps 1" or slightly larger ??
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Your wife will certainly rise to whatever expectations are placed upon her if she enjoys the overall experience of the RV lifestyle.

I would suggest you rent an RV first...have it delivered to the CG and set up. Spend a week or two on it and decide if the RV lifestyle suits you both. If it does, then start looking at different rigs and decide what style and size suits your needs for comfort and livability.

Once those decisions are made......find a trusted and qualified friend to teach your wife to drive the rig. My experience has been that she will learn faster and much more when the Spouse is removed from the training process. This how we did it in our boating club. Wives that were scared to death to run the boat and would refuse when asked became quick learners when the husband was left on the dock. Many became the full time skippers
Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DriVer,
The fuel opening is the large truck size opening. The truck stop nozzle fits with room to spare.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The fuel opening is the large truck size opening. The truck stop nozzle fits with room to spare.
That's a blessing. I remember my Ford PSD only had a gas station nozzle opening and it took forever to fill my tank. It was almost like a career path trying to fill a fuel tank.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first Class A was an Allegro Open Road 261A on a Workhorse chassis and the DW had no problem driving it on the interstates. We traded it in on an Allegro Open Road 35TSA with a Workhorse chassis. Everything remained the same except for the extra 9' of length but the wife won't drive the new one.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Everything remained the same except for the extra 9' of length but the wife won't drive the new one.
Jon, My DW drove our rig once. I know she can do it but it was too painful for me to sit in the passenger seat and watch.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
Your wife will certainly rise to whatever expectations are placed upon her if she enjoys the overall experience of the RV lifestyle.

I would suggest you rent an RV first...have it delivered to the CG and set up. Spend a week or two on it and decide if the RV lifestyle suits you both. If it does, then start looking at different rigs and decide what style and size suits your needs for comfort and livability.

Once those decisions are made......find a trusted and qualified friend to teach your wife to drive the rig. My experience has been that she will learn faster and much more when the Spouse is removed from the training process. This how we did it in our boating club. Wives that were scared to death to run the boat and would refuse when asked became quick learners when the husband was left on the dock. Many became the full time skippers

Terrific post, tylerdmoore. All you say is 100% on the money -- IMHO and in the HO, too, of my DW!

Like you, I speak from the perspective of being a long time former boat owner whose wife learned best how to run our 33' sailboat from a teacher other than me.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #26

Have been away for awhile, just wanted to thank all for your replies and advice. We will have the "acid test" this summer on the little class C which I hope will tell us if this is something my wife (and I) really want to do. I imagine, or hope, we will find out that we love the life style but need more room!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Some of it will depend on your needs for a disability as well. Take some time and look at lots of different units and I'm sure you will come up with one that will suit both your needs. Good luck and happy trails.