Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Driving Comfort

So here is the question. And of course a bit of boring background.
As relatively newly retired (disability - though close to 60) bought a '97 21' motorhome as a putter project, an experiment of "do we really want to do this" and most importantly ease of driving for DW.
Due to meds I can not legally drive. As such, my wife is the designated driver. The big question is, especially for those with a similar situation, what is the real difference between RV type, size and manufacture for driving comfort? Side note, trailer/5th wheel is not an option -

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think anyone but you can answer that. It's too subjective. One persons comfort level is different from the rest.
Normally metal springs are the worst
Then rubber (MorRyde) are next
Then air suspension.
But even than there are "crossovers" when one rides better than it should.

We have air suspension and comfortable seats, it's much better than our Type C Ford MH with standard seats. To help that MH we had the Ford seats replaced with aftermarket captains chairs. Made a big difference.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I have seen women driving dump trucks and such. My wife scares me when I let her drive our car! I would never let her drive a MH. One of my daughters pulls a 5th wheel very well, but again, I would not want to ride with her.

It is a hard question, but I doubt RV is best for you.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I cannot say for your DW but I always have an opinion The smaller streamlined class C's are not much harder to drive then a full size pickup or even the newer ones on the Sprinter chassis. They drive just like a car/pickup only a bit wider/longer. Class A's take a bit more adjusting as the turn wheels are usually behind you instead of out front. As to make or size or style or year every one out there has a valid opinion with great reasons. Good luck and have fun.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Try renting one of each for a few days, and see what one she feels is the best for her to drive,

And the one that makes you feel safe with her driving it also.

Good luck. Duane & Janice.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

I think you will find there is a huge difference in the ride due to the chassis. It will all depend on what you want. When you choose gas or DP then you can start on make and chassis and last it will depend on how much moola you want to spend.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What ever she is comfortable with. I know one lady whose husband passed this last year who is now driving their 43' DP. I know another who when her husband became sick and could no longer drive drove their 42' DP. My wife will not drive our 40'. Only your wife can say.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
My better half has had no problems sharing the driving of a 36' toybox of our curent 32' class A gas puller with toad. This is in cities, towns 2 lane and freeways, also includes pulling into a camp site and leveling. She is over 65. After a few mods, we are happy with ride & handling. Only your wife and you will know your own comfort level. Rent before you buy was good advice, they don't ride the same empty as loaded, and a test drive is different than a week on the road. Good Luck
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I taught my 65 ish year old mother to drive their 04 bounder

she is fantastic and picked it up in very short order.

she does really well and is poised to go get her class B cert next week

i think the biggest thing is to find someone that has a size rig you think will work and see how she feels sitting behind the wheel then have them take her for a drive and let her practice in a vacant lot

i think the m/h imo is easier to drive than our f350 dually
the view and the side cameras combined with great mirrors makes it a fun drive
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with all that are saying to get out there and try it. Whatever the DW wants, she should get. To me a somewhat larger motorhome is no harder than a smaller one. Although driving a class A does take some getting used to. If you do not need any thing special for your medical needs, then just rent and look and try out what DW can handle. And I know RVing is a great pastime and seeing this great country and it people is worth the trip. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
My better half has had no problems sharing the driving of a 36' toybox of our curent 32' class A gas puller with toad. This is in cities, towns 2 lane and freeways, also includes pulling into a camp site and leveling. She is over 65. After a few mods, we are happy with ride & handling. Only your wife and you will know your own comfort level. Rent before you buy was good advice, they don't ride the same empty as loaded, and a test drive is different than a week on the road. Good Luck
You trained her well. Can you give me some training tips?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 40 Class A and a 31' Class C, long story.

The Class C is easier to learn to drive, handles and drives similar to a pickup truck. Not a lot of comfort on long trips with the standard Ford seats.
Pros: fits in to much smaller spaces, shallow learning curve for driving and maneuvering.
Cons: lack of storage and closet space, rides like a truck

The Class A rides like a dream, handles nothing like a car or pickup truck so some time spent learning to drive is essential. No fun running between 2 semis or tight jersey barricades when first learning. RV Driving school should be a serious consideration. With the front tires under or behind you it makes making turns a whole new experience.
Pros: Smooth ride, lots of space for stuff and to spread out
Cons: Its huge and has a steep learning curve for driving and maneuvering, especially backing in to a site.

I agree with previous poster, spend a few bucks renting various coaches to see what the DW is comfortable with.

You are lucky, my DW wouldn't take the wheel if I died in the middle lane of the interstate. She'd wait for someone to come get it.

Good luck and enjoy.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Start slow, be clam, be patient and go at her pace. A good place to start is a big parking lot early on Sunday mornig would be my suggestion. DO NOT YELL OR USE THE WORD STUPED OR PROFANITY.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
Start slow, be clam, be patient and go at her pace. A good place to start is a big parking lot early on Sunday mornig would be my suggestion. DO NOT YELL OR USE THE WORD STUPED OR PROFANITY.
I have also found that clambing up does wonders at times!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote