Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Driving Courtesy

As I have been reading the various threads regarding truck drivers and whether or not they return a flash of the running lights it reminded me of something I've noticed lately. My wife and I have been driving motorhomes for about five years. Rental ones for the first four years and then our own that we purchased last summer. I noticed when we first starting traveling via motorhome that other motorhome drivers would almost always wave at us. In the past year or two it seems that this gesture has absolutely disappeared. I still wave (especially on two lane roads) and am now surprised when someone waves back. Has anyone else noticed this?
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
As I have been reading the various threads regarding truck drivers and whether or not they return a flash of the running lights it reminded me of something I've noticed lately. My wife and I have been driving motorhomes for about five years. Rental ones for the first four years and then our own that we purchased last summer. I noticed when we first starting traveling via motorhome that other motorhome drivers would almost always wave at us. In the past year or two it seems that this gesture has absolutely disappeared. I still wave (especially on two lane roads) and am now surprised when someone waves back. Has anyone else noticed this?
Here ya go He He!!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I haven't noticed it, and I always wave. If you are an amateur radio operator, you will see a sign on the back of my fiver that has my call sign and monitoring frequency on it. Occasionally I'll get a call on the radio.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We've noticed it also. Recently we ran U.S.95 from Blythe to Needles, CA and then on up to Lake Mead. From Lake Mead we ran up through Nevada on U.S.93 all the way to Twin Falls, ID. That's a lot of two lane road and as we proceeded north we were passed by any number of RVs headed south. We waved at every one of them. Sadly, I can count the waves returned on one hand.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Wait a moment.......Wait a moment......It's coming..........
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We always wave, sometimes it's possible they wave back but due to the sun, we may not see it
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When I wave, I'm thinking, "This sure is fun, how 'bout you"? Doesn't matter if they return the gesture. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #8

So waving at somebody just because they ar in an RV is a "DRIVING COURTESY"?

Personally, I do not eat, drink, listen to music, hold conversations, or wave at anyone because my total attention is on my driving, and on the road. Being the operator of an 13 ton RV requires dedicated operational duty. IMHO.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I get waved at all the time indicating I'm "Number One!"

Especially on hilly country roads.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
When I wave, I'm thinking, "This sure is fun, how 'bout you"? Doesn't matter if they return the gesture. Bob
Although I didn't say it, that is what I was alluding to. They all looked so serious coming south. I gave up serious when I retired; hell, I gave up serious before I retired.

I've always been waved at by fellow truckers and waved back. I still do it out of 40 years of habit. I've owned a number of vehicles (GTO, Subaru OB and our current Jeep) where fellow owners will wave at me. Why? Because it's like belonging to a brother/sisterhood and we are all enjoying being part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
So waving at somebody just because they ar in an RV is a "DRIVING COURTESY"?

Personally, I do not eat, drink, listen to music, hold conversations, or wave at anyone because my total attention is on my driving, and on the road. Being the operator of an 13 ton RV requires dedicated operational duty. IMHO.
Ed
I can only hope that your total attention is on me when we approach one another on a narrow two lane. Yes, I will wave, but my gaze will be fixed on your left front wheel, because usually my first indication of what you are going to do next will be telegraphed to me by where that left front wheel goes.

btw, I couldn't have survived 40 years of trailer-trucking without my coffee while going down the road. My navigator passes me snacks, tunes the radio, is a great conversationalist (has been known to refer to herself as motormouth), and will also wave to you just in case you don't see my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Really Wayne? All these years I thought they were asking for forgiveness because it was their 1st day with their shiny new driver's license.

And for anyone out there who is feeling neglected:
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I'll wave at ya!! Just being friendly AND courteous.

I've been driving a VW beetle since '01 I can't count the number of fights I've started passing school bus stops in the morning on the way to my school since I drive a 'punch buggy.' Don't know why that started!

I grew up on a boat and we always waved at passing boaters - never knew when you'd need help or advice, just good practice.

I don't interpret a lack of a wave back as rudeness, just maybe tired, thinking of something else, or in some cases, white knuckled grip won't allow hand to leave the wheel. I'll still wave, it makes me smile!

In fact when I get a one fingered wave I wave even harder and give a big grin -- makes them think I'm nuts and they steer clear!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's see, my first wave was to tell me I was dragging my toad with the brakes on. The most recent wave was to tell me my gas cap was not on the gas intake. I've had some finger waves all unearned, of course. But on our way back this winter a couple passed in an identicle motor home and about broke their necks waving as they went by. I gave them a gentle toot with my air horn (yes-I'm a gasser but I have one and reserve the full blast for finger wavers or the well deserved miscreants). Wave, I'll wave back.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

That was you?

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, a lot of the people want to tell me that I am # UNO to them. If not that, they are telling me their age or IQ.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote