Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Driving The Blue Ridge Parkway in NC area in November?

Anybody have any comments or suggestions for that area of the parkway? Sort of around the Asheville, NC area...Would love to go sooner, but won't be able to get there until beginning of Nov. I am not familiar with that part of the country, and the travel guides say that the weather can get unpredictable....that in itself is not a show stopper, as that can happen in any mountains areas.....but is the scenery still worth it...even though we will probably have missed the height of the leaves/Fall color change.....
Appreciate any inputs!!
Cheers, tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Lived outside of Asheville for many years.
By Nov colors have been long gone. Still pretty on a clear day, but weather can change in a matter of a few hours. Mornings tend to be cold and foggy. And if it rains and gets cold overnight, some spots can freeze.
Several times had snow in mid and late October. When it snows, parkway will close---gates at each entry way are closed and locked.
Also, by Nov the lodges with restraunts (they are really good) have closed for the season.
I see your in Texas. As an alternate, why don't you look at the Natchez Trace Parkway, starting in Natchez, Miss, up into Tenn.
Great article in Oct 2015 Motorhome magazine. Did the trip several years ago on a Harley. Beautiful drive, great roads, very easy in an RV. Think of it as the Blue Ridge Pkway, only lower, with lots of long sweeping turn instead of hairpins and turnbacks. Plenty of scenery, places to pull over, and campgrounds.
It's on our to do list for 2016.

Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I live in East TN and have traveled most portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Colors will be gone but the scenery is still worth the drive.

Probably the thing to watch the most is the temperatures in the AM as if there is moisture on the road it will form black ice in some areas. If the temps stay above freezing no problems.

There is still lots to do along the route, be sure to go to the Biltmore Mansion in Ashville.

Here is a link to a good site on the Blue Ridge Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

Here is an older map that has POI's on it, you may be able to find a newer.

Also, there are some low overhead clearance bridges, check for these if you are driving with height.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Map_2010 Blue Ridge Parkway.pdf (2.86 MB, 27 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

Thank you both for the info........yes I think we have decided to go mostly just to enjoy the drive. We will not be in a particular hurry to get anywhere, and will be in the RV park, and doing a lot of driving in the Jeep I think. Where can I find those low overhead clearances?....ok, spoke to soon, saw tunnel height info on the website.....thanks!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

I usually consider the third week of October to be peak leaf season in East Tennessee. The leaves may still be around depending on if there's any storms and wind conditions.

We're leaving next Wednesday for Gatlinburg. We visit all year round as there's so much to see and do. We have a cabin rented for $150 per night that sleeps 14 people, so we're leaving the fifth wheel in North Georgia mountains.

I'm okay to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway, but not for more than an hour or two. I'm the same way with the Natchez Trace as it runs within 10 miles of my house. I especially like the Blue Ridge Parkway southwest of Asheville on a clear winter morning at 5:00 am--watching the sunrise from the top of the mountain.

Any way it goes, the camping facilities on the Tennessee side of the mountains are superior in quality and quantity than that of Western NC. We also love the Northeast Georgia Mountain camping. Come on up.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Ok, that's sounds nice, we'll be coming from Tx, so I think that SW section up to the Asheville area is where we will be..