Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
How do you feel about texting and driving compared to those other activities while driving regarding being inattentive?
Texting drivers are the worse lot. As a motorcycle rider I ride in a defensive/aggressive manner all the time. Having pulled trailers for years, I always leave distance, and try to limit brake time and hard accelerations, no matter what I drive.
Rule of thumb........be alert to what is going on around you (and behind you)at all times.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Most of the studies done are not really studies but more 'personal opinion' that agrees with the premise of the study. In BC if you are involved (even remotely and totally blameless) in an accident and the investigating officer asks if you had a drink that day, your accident case gets slid into the drunk driving statistics if you answer yes, even if the drink you had was eight hours previous.

It is a way that those with a redetermined disposition on an outcome of a report can skew the report with irrelevant fact finding.

I find it strange that as RV type people we are inundated with information that 90% of us have nothing to do with. I have used two way radios on and off most of my driving career and yet we now find that there are people opposed to the use of two way radio trying to skew the information to make the use of this hand held electrical device illegal.

Kind of like the new .05 tickets people in BC are getting from the police. I liken that to getting a ticket for almost breaking the speed limit. To many safety nannies out there trying to rain on our parade.
How do you think the studies done (most of them anyways) are just by personal opinion. Police have statistic reports and use cell phone records to identify accidents caused while using them. Isn't it common sense that if you are looking down at a cell phone, writing a letter, or reading, that you are not paying attention to the road? Perhaps that is why public opinion moves in that direction.

I like that we don't have to worry about that, because we do not drive after drinking any amount of alcohol and we don't talk on the cell phone, or text while we are driving. It's so simple really, and the best insurance against getting a ticket, or killing ourselves and taking someone out with us.
If you think you have nothing to do with the fact that people talk and text while you are driving, you might put yourself in the category of the guy on the crotch rocket in the photo above.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I first got a cell phone I took it with me on a trip from MI to OR and back. I bought a headset for it so I could talk hands-free. The wife would call me once a day to just chat. After the second call, I asked her not to call anymore, I'd call her when I was done driving for the day.

It was too much of a distraction, even on freeways with little traffic.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What about truckers? In the Chicago area I see them everyday talking on cellphones while hauling around who knows how much weight. I see 18 wheelers swerving on the highway for no apparent reason; either they're drunk, overtired, or texting. My bet is on texting.
I try to stay as far away from other traffic as possible, not easy in a daily commute.
Maybe when some politician's loved one gets killed in a cellphone/texting crash something will be done. Until then we're on our own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
When I first got a cell phone I took it with me on a trip from MI to OR and back. I bought a headset for it so I could talk hands-free. The wife would call me once a day to just chat. After the second call, I asked her not to call anymore, I'd call her when I was done driving for the day.

It was too much of a distraction, even on freeways with little traffic.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
What about truckers? In the Chicago area I see them everyday talking on cellphones while hauling around who knows how much weight. I see 18 wheelers swerving on the highway for no apparent reason; either they're drunk, overtired, or texting. My bet is on texting.
I try to stay as far away from other traffic as possible, not easy in a daily commute.
Maybe when some politician's loved one gets killed in a cellphone/texting crash something will be done. Until then we're on our own.
I doubt that one death in a polticians family will change the attitudes of 'I'm invincible, it won't happen to me", even if the laws are changed, enforcement is strict, and fines are heavy. People just don't seem to care about anything but what they want to do right now, even when they know better.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #21

One way to be proactive is to refuse to be part of a conversation with anyone who is talking on the phone while driving. The first thing I say when a call is initiated is, "Are you driving?" If yes, then I say, "I'm hanging up. Call me back when you're not driving."

It occurred to me that if someone I'm talking to crashes into somebody, or god forbid kills someone, I would feel guilty beyond belief, as if I were a party to the crime. Not to mention that I would probably HEAR it and have to suffer the mental repercussions from that.

Yeah, I felt kind of like a pig snout when I first started doing it, but it's getting easier because I really believe I have a right not to be put in that position. If you want to do dangerous things, I can't stop you. But I can refuse to participate and at least protect myself, and maybe some innocent pedestrian who you might actually notice if you're not on the phone with me.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #22

The only way they will ever stop this cell phone crap, texting, talking and hands free talking is to make all phones disabled when moving over 5 mph. We have the technology as all phones have gps and this would just take a software update. This would save more lives then outlawing assault rifles and high capacity magazines. Because people will still kill people whether they have a six shooter or AK 47. Stop all cell phone use while moving and they will save countless hundreds every year. And talking hands free on the cell phone is distracted driving, matters not if your holding the phone or just talking into a speaker, its still distracted driving. You mind is not on the road, its on your conversation. And texting is even worse. I see young girls passing me all the time, both hands on the phone texting with their thumbs and driving with their knees. It is just as risky as driving drunk, the statistics have proven.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #23

Too many fans here of imposing your will upon others, scary, the self righteousness.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #24

Forget making unenforceable laws. Put the emphasis on the insurance. Have an accident and cellphone records indicate texting, etc at the time means the insurance co can deny payment for you.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #25

Jim, do you really think your solution will fix anything? How many people drive without insurance now...without a cell phone infraction on their record. What if you were the person that got hit by that person using the cell phone???

Making laws that do nothing is NOT a remedy nor is making laws the screw the innocent
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjim View Post
Too many fans here of imposing your will upon others, scary, the self righteousness.
I noticed that too. I don't ext at all unless I am at someplace where I can put my reading glasses on. I can't see anything within arms length with any amount of clarity. I have a blue tooth thing that connects when the phone rings and disconnects when the caller hangs up. Just what the hell we need another bunch of safety nannies infringing on the rights of everyone just because they believe themselves to be correct. The "We'll protect the world whether or not the world wants protecting" types really get to me because when new penalties and costs are forthcoming from their demands they plead ignorance to causing the increases.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Because following someone on a cell phone is like following a drunk driver.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #28

I'm not defending the cell phone use while driving. But, you all seemed to have not noticed that the motorcycle driver was going 85 MPH. I don't believe in 55 but, 85 is wound up purty tight don't you think.