Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Driving with Cell Phones

Below is a link to a photo (caution: horrific crash). None of us are so careless to do this, but I will be sharing this with the young people I care about.

The Honda crotch rocket rider was traveling at approximately 85 mph.
The VW driver was talking on a cell phone when she pulled out from a side street, apparently not seeing the motorcycle. The rider's reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident.

The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them.
The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 20 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in the car and the bike rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Motorcycle Fair by the Police and Road Safety Department..

Pass this on to car drivers or soon to be new drivers, or new motorcycle owners and especially everyone you know who has a MOBILE phone!!!
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Save a life. Stop talking on mobile phones and Texting while trying to drive.
The life you save may be your own..... Or mine...

Keep passing this on so everyone will see what can happen by using a mobile PHONE while driving

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A warning about cell phone use while driving can never be given enough.

No one is immune to this temptation which can be determined by just driving around your neighborhood to see how many people do not honor the warning and the law in many states.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

That's true, just because we don't do it, doesn't mean we are not susceptible to the results of those who do.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
That's true, just because we don't do it, doesn't mean we are not susceptible to the results of those who do.
I can second that. Last June I was stopped cold and a woman in a Toyota Tundra rear ended me full speed...she told the officer her phone rang and she was reaching for it She totaled my 2011 Ford Edge she hit us so hard...us was myself and our 12 yr. old granddaughter. We were not seriously injured, but I can tell you we were pretty sore for a while.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Illegal to talk on cell phone in CA w/o hands free - but you see people doing it all the time. A law that should be enforced.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Illegal to talk on cell phone in CA w/o hands free - but you see people doing it all the time. A law that should be enforced.
If we want the law enforced, we have to report. In order to report, we have to take the make model and plate number of the vehicle we are reporting, pull over, dial 911 and report the direction of travel and the vehicle information, and description of driver if possible.
Are we willing to do that?
When I see them I have wagged a finger at them, but it really makes no difference. DH tells me not to because if they decide to pull a gun, it's not worth it.
Let's discuss what we should do when we witness people driving and talking on their cell phones.....or at least what you think we should do.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

On another thought, how many people have never ever sped over the limit after receiving a speeding ticket? Again, I'm not sure that law enforcement changes attitudes. Nor education. Nor fines. A conundrum of sorts.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #8

one idea

Op-Ed: How to stop people using their mobile phones while driving
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #9

https://www.oma.org/HealthPromotion/...s/default.aspx

Slow to catch on.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Key Points
Studies using driving simulators have found that using a cell phone while driving significantly
impairs several aspects of driving performance, principally reaction time.

Studies of the cell phone records of crash-involved drivers suggest that using a cell phone while
driving is associated with roughly a quadrupling of crash risk.

Two out of every three drivers believe that using a hands-free cell phone while driving is safer than
using a hand-held phone; however, the overwhelming majority of available evidence suggests that it
is not.

Over half of all drivers admit using a cell phone while driving at least occasionally; 16–17% report
doing so regularly.

Younger people report higher levels of cell phone use while driving than older people do; however,
the proportion of drivers aged 35 to 44 who report using cell phones while driving is not
significantly lower than the proportion of drivers ages 18 to 24 who report doing so.

One in seven drivers admits to text messaging while driving.

Younger people are overwhelmingly more likely than older people to text message while driving—
nearly half of survey respondents aged 18 to 24 admit doing so, whereas fewer than 5% of drivers
aged 45 and older admit doing so.

More than four out of five drivers rate drivers using cell phones as a serious or extremely serious
traffic safety problem, over half say that it is unacceptable, and one in seven even mention reducing
or eliminating driver cell phone use in an open-ended question seeking ideas for ways to prevent
motor vehicle crashes. Drivers who express these attitudes are less likely than average to report
using a cell phone while driving; however between 29% and 46% of these same drivers report that
they themselves have used a cell phone while driving at least occasionally in the past month.

https://www.aaafoundation.org/sites/...vingReport.pdf
Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #11

I wonder if the Woodstock Police consider reporting a person using a cell phone while driving a 'life threatening' emergency?

Be a Cellular Samaritan

With a cellular phone, you know that if you, or anybody else needs help, it's just a phone call away. The Woodstock Police Service encourages members of the public to use their cellular phones to help reduce crime, report impaired drivers, enhance public safety, report traffic accidents and save lives. 9-1-1 is a free call for cellular customers, but only use it for life threatening emergencies.

Cellular Phone Use
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #12

In attentive driving is just that. I see LEO's using computers while driving down the road, are they better than I? NOT HARDLY......talking on a cellphone is not any worse than drinking your soda, and putting it back in the cup holder, or talking to someone in the back seat. My 2 cents....
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #13

How do you feel about texting and driving compared to those other activities while driving regarding being inattentive?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Most of the studies done are not really studies but more 'personal opinion' that agrees with the premise of the study. In BC if you are involved (even remotely and totally blameless) in an accident and the investigating officer asks if you had a drink that day, your accident case gets slid into the drunk driving statistics if you answer yes, even if the drink you had was eight hours previous.

It is a way that those with a redetermined disposition on an outcome of a report can skew the report with irrelevant fact finding.

I find it strange that as RV type people we are inundated with information that 90% of us have nothing to do with. I have used two way radios on and off most of my driving career and yet we now find that there are people opposed to the use of two way radio trying to skew the information to make the use of this hand held electrical device illegal.

Kind of like the new .05 tickets people in BC are getting from the police. I liken that to getting a ticket for almost breaking the speed limit. To many safety nannies out there trying to rain on our parade.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote