Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
So what do you suggest for when pulled over in a snowstorm?
Turn all lights off?
Absolutely. You turn all lights off so that someone coming behind you doesn't think you are on the road and try to follow your lights.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
Or the idiots who slow way down when it's just a cop writing another driver a ticket. Like he is going to tell that driver to "wait right here, I gotta go get that guy"
In many states you are REQUIRED to move as far left as possible, slow down, and put your flashers on when passing ANY Emergency Vehicle sitting with lights blinking. In most States there is a very stiff fine and possible loss of Licence, Pennsylvania included for sure.
This is for the protection of first responders and other road workers.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I run with my flashers a lot. Usually when I'm climbing a hill in low gear and below about 40 mph. Same going down hill, If I'm downshifted and descending a hill in a lower gear and low speed. The goal is to let the car coming up behind be at 80mph know that something is weird in front of them.

Fog, smoke, snow, etc. Get as far off the road as possible, and NEVER turn on lights or flashers. ( I tell the DW, if you ever break down beside the rode, don't turn on the four ways, They do nothing but run the battery down.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I follow the lead of traffic I'm with: the vast majority turn on flashers to warn drivers they've slowed more then 30mph below the conventional flow of traffic.

When I was in high school the older sister of a classmate drove under a truck which had slowed but -- I am guessing -- not turned on his flashers.

She was killed instantly.
So her not paying attention and driving according to conditions is the truckers fault. As sad and tragic that someone lost their life they were at the controls. It is like saying the light pole should have had a flashing light on it.

Years ago you only used the emergency flashers when you were stopped and to warn traffic of just that. In some cases farm equipment and road construction equipment did this as well.
Then all of a sudden slow moving traffic on the highway are required to do the same and it causes nothing but confusion.

When I tested for my drivers licence many moons ago it was part of the course that to watch for slow moving traffic like trucks on hills etc.
If you run into the back of anything YOU are at fault. You were not paying attention.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well Things have changed I guess. Your right it's peoples inattentive driving ( lulled to not "thinking " or awareness esp on a freeway ) is their fault but isn't the goal a safe road for all ?
That's the purpose to wake up that driver ! hazard warning lights have been proven and are the way my cdl training was taught ... even 30 years ago so I'm not sure about the training part .. perhaps we should all grab a current driving manual
just as the person not paying attention is at fault so is the confused driver .. pretty obvious it's a slow moving vehicle ... go around when Safe ......driving aware you would expect a slow truck rv etc and take action.
Now if somebody's driving at speed with hazards on it is a problem and as seen in many states against driving law. Kinda like forgetting the turn signal
Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Well Things have changed I guess. Your right it's peoples inattentive driving ( lulled to not "thinking " or awareness esp on a freeway ) is their fault but isn't the goal a safe road for all ?
That's the purpose to wake up that driver ! hazard warning lights have been proven and are the way my cdl training was taught ... even 30 years ago so I'm not sure about the training part .. perhaps we should all grab a current driving manual
just as the person not paying attention is at fault so is the confused driver .. pretty obvious it's a slow moving vehicle ... go around when Safe ......driving aware you would expect a slow truck rv etc and take action.
Now if somebody's driving at speed with hazards on it is a problem and as seen in many states against driving law. Kinda like forgetting the turn signal

I realize it is the law but in some instances it is dangerous. A few years back I was climbing a long steep grade in a truck and it shut down. There I was dead in the middle of the road, luckily there was a passing lane. I sat there with my flashers on until help arrived. It is amazing how many people almost ran into my rear trailer. I did have my warning triangles out. They see the lights flashing and just think you are moving.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Different states = different laws about the use of the "Hazard Lights"

An overview here:
Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Knowledge is power
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
So her not paying attention and driving according to conditions is the truckers fault. As sad and tragic that someone lost their life they were at the controls. It is like saying the light pole should have had a flashing light on it.

Years ago you only used the emergency flashers when you were stopped and to warn traffic of just that. In some cases farm equipment and road construction equipment did this as well.
Then all of a sudden slow moving traffic on the highway are required to do the same and it causes nothing but confusion.

When I tested for my drivers licence many moons ago it was part of the course that to watch for slow moving traffic like trucks on hills etc.
If you run into the back of anything YOU are at fault. You were not paying attention.
Yes the trucker shares the responsibility in that person's death if he was travelling very slow without the use of flashers. A pole would require hazard lights if it were traveling slow in a live lane.
And I understand the logic of pulling over in a snowstorm and turning the lights off but I do not agree with it. I want to see all vehicles in front of me on or off the road. If on the shoulder hazard lights flashing is the safest method.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have been on numerous service calls to repair trucks stopped on the road. 4-way flashers, strobe lights and triangles all out there, and cars still fly past at speed! I never got hit, but had lots of close calls. The triangles would usually get run down before the truck was ready to go or be towed!!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #24

How many times have we heard of someone broke down on the shoulder and someone comes barreling down into the car causing carnage. Turning your lights off is insane.

I do not understand why daytime running lights isnt mandated in the usa as it is in Canada. It amazes me how many drive with no headlights in fog rain snowstorms. Do these people want to die?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #25

Once during a trip pulling my TT along, I noted slow moving vehicles turning on their hazard lights. Feeling superior and righteous I complained loudly about all the knuckleheads out on my road (it might have been Virginia). Then I passed a sign directing all traffic travelling at less than 45 mph to turn on their hazard lights. This showed me that I don't know it all and my best course of action is to pay attention to what is going on around me and just do the best I can.
When I lived in Hawaii, I had two drivers license handbooks for motorcycles printed one year apart. One manual directed motorcycle riders to cross railroad tracks at 90 degrees to the tracks while the other directed riders to maintain their direction of travel on the road regardless of track direction. This just goes to show that those that make the laws don't always know the right answer for a given situation.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #26

Also as to hazard lights on steep hills. There a truck or RV can be slowing quite fast without any light like one would see if they were braking. This can cause a following driver to be surprised. Normally a rapidly slowing vehicle will have brake lights warning traffic overtaking them and people do get used to habits and shortcuts be they right or wrong. I know even driving my coach I have had times where if I was not alert I would have run right into the truck ahead of me because my coach still had reserve when the truck had hit its HP limit.

Now as I mentioned before it would really be nice if states were consistent or at least posted changes when entering them.

Tom
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Different states = different laws about the use of the "Hazard Lights"
An overview here:
Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Knowledge is power
Good info and sure not consistent. I do use flashers for a short time if traffic ahead is stopped and behind me is still at speed.
Flashers in the rain seems very common in Alabama???
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I take it you have never followed a big truck up over a mountain? I believe hazard light are for when you in/creating a hazardous situation. Hazard lights should never be using when on the side of the roads during a bad snow storm. The cars behind you will follow your lights and plow into the back of you.
Yeh those truckers are Bozo's
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote