Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Driving with hazard flashers on

How many of you have followed some highway clown down the road with their hazard flashers on. You soon loose the visual clues as to whether they are braking or just continuing down the road. These Bozos are even worse to follow in low visibility conditions. They seem to think they are trying to be the modern day Paul Revere and warn others, when they are in fact distracting everyone behind them. Hey, we know the conditions are bad, turn them off and drive with caution like the rest of us.

Hazard flashers are for when you are not in motion. This practice is right up there with driving with your parking lights on only to save electricity. They are parking lights, you know parked as in not moving. Just one more thing, when it rains, turn your headlights on. It makes it easier to see you, it has nothing to do with your ability to see where you are going.

Ok, off my soap box, for now......
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

If it rains, all lights on. Well maybe not fogs, unless it's foggy. Hazards, only when I'm below 45 going up a hill. And sometimes when I come upon a sudden line up of traffic. Also, when I forget to turn them back off. Which I hope doesn't happen that often.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I take it you have never followed a big truck up over a mountain? I believe hazard light are for when you in/creating a hazardous situation. Hazard lights should never be using when on the side of the roads during a bad snow storm. The cars behind you will follow your lights and plow into the back of you.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Yet another urban myth, drive slow with flashers on in bad weather.

It's only surpassed by 'You have to drive in the left lane in bad weather so you don't get rear-ended by a transport truck.'

Instead you get rear-ended by some putz in a 4x4 who doesn't realize it doesn't give them any more steering or braking, it just gets them into trouble faster.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I take it you have never followed a big truck up over a mountain? I believe hazard light are for when you in/creating a hazardous situation.
Some states require (regulatory signs) turning on flashers when speeds slow to under 40MPH going up some grades. It can be hard to judge just how slow loaded trucks are going uphill, especially when cars are doing 70/80MPH. The flashers are a good 'heads up'.

When driving in the rain, the glare can be fierce, especially if it's a little dark out and everyone's headlights are on...a requirement(Fl. law). Here in Florida, driving in the rain with flashers on is illegal...yet it's done all the time.

Can't remember where I read it but, I think the only time it's legal t(Fl.)to use the flashers while in motion is when in a funeral procession. I guess it may be different in other states.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #6

Hazard lights while in motion save lives. When I come up on a traffic jam I always put the hazards on until traffic has slowed behind me. Brake lights arent always enough especially with all the extra distractions these days. The other important use of hazards is when you are driving slower then the flow of traffic such as a heavy truck climbing a steep grade.

If you are annoyed by hazard lights you can always back off and keep a safe distance or pass and put it all behind you.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Remembered seeing this:

Using hazard lights in rain is illegal in some states; use could cost you | WSB-TV

Scroll down for a list of states.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I take it you have never followed a big truck up over a mountain? I believe hazard light are for when you in/creating a hazardous situation. Hazard lights should never be using when on the side of the roads during a bad snow storm. The cars behind you will follow your lights and plow into the back of you.
So what do you suggest for when pulled over in a snowstorm?
Turn all lights off?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Remembered seeing this:

Using hazard lights in rain is illegal in some states; use could cost you | WSB-TV

Scroll down for a list of states.
Thank you for posting!

I had assumed they were to be used anytime your vehicle was a hazard.

I do however wish the states were consistent on the issue. Shucks in a few miles you can be in KY, OH, and IN with different rules applying.

Tom
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Or the idiots who slow way down when it's just a cop writing another driver a ticket. Like he is going to tell that driver to "wait right here, I gotta go get that guy"
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Driving with hazard flashers on

Gee ....out west and here in Oregon a commercial truck if 25 miles below speed limit is supposed to use flashers ( called hazard warning lights ! ) on grades. Do you know how many people rear end slow moving vehicles ? It's not a rare occurrence. Several of my co workers have been rear ended by less than attentive drivers ! Sorry , but for me it's the law. I'd like to keep my cdl
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Dukes of Hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
If it rains, all lights on. Well maybe not fogs, unless it's foggy. Hazards, only when I'm below 45 going up a hill. And sometimes when I come upon a sudden line up of traffic. Also, when I forget to turn them back off. Which I hope doesn't happen that often.
I follow the lead of traffic I'm with: the vast majority turn on flashers to warn drivers they've slowed more then 30mph below the conventional flow of traffic.

When I was in high school the older sister of a classmate drove under a truck which had slowed but -- I am guessing -- not turned on his flashers.

She was killed instantly.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
So what do you suggest for when pulled over in a snowstorm?

Turn all lights off?

Yes , get off the road and turn them off make sure your well off the fog line
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
In most states on hwys, hazard lights are required when your speed drops below 40 mph. It alerts drivers behind you that you are going slow and they need to take actions, such as lane changes, before they get right on top of you. So many drivers come charging up and then veer into other lanes to avoid you. It can cause accidents.
Now the idiot just driving at 55mph with his flashers on.....that's a different story.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote