Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Travel during rush hour(s) in metro area?
Yes 20 19.61%
No 27 26.47%
Sometimes 51 50.00%
Live in a metro area and have no choice 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally when we leave the campground in the morning the rush hour is over and we usually find another campground before the evening rush hour begins.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if i do travel during rush hour i look for car pool lanes and get in them and drive ....There is usually 4 of us in the coach so what the heck.... I even had a highway patrol behind me and no problems as far as i know with doing that...

2008 Damon Daybreak 3135,F53,2011 CR-V toad SMI Stay in Play Duo
Why wait for retirement enjoy life now !!!!!!!!!!
Me , DW, 2 kids and Kasey 8 year old yellow lab
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I will sit in a rest area or parking lot and wait out a rush area in a metropolitan area. Especially the greater Seattle (Everett to Olympia) one.
We did that 2 years ago coming back from Az. It seemed like it was rush hr all the way from Portland through Seattle to Bellingham. Was towing a 30 ft,fiver. But after some white knuckles and a few bad words and some sorry fella's, we made it through. Won't do that again.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #32
Winnebago Owners Club
I do all I can to avoid it even if it means departing really early in the morning.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We happened to arrive in Cleveland yesterday about 5:30. Lots and lots of traffic. I certainly don't prefer driving in heavy traffic just as I don't prefer driving in rain or snow but I'm not going to schedule my trip around when people commute to work or wherever their going. I'm always thankful to be in the mh because of the added visiblity and if I want to change lanes I just signal and slowly start to move over.

Major cities I've traveled in during rush hour(s).
Houston, Austin, Dallas (State Fair and Texas/OU weekend, much worse than rush hour), Baton Rouge, Atlanta, Birmingham, DC, Philly, Denver, Omaha (college world series week too), and probably several others. In some of these cities to stay out of rush hour you would need to leave before 5am and stop before 3pm.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We'll normally plan to miss them. We may stretch our day a bit, for example, to get to the other side of a major city before we stop for the night so it's not an issue the next morning. There have been times when unexpected traffic or construction has delayed us and put us into rush hour traffic. In these cases, thank God for the GPS that lets us know what lane we need to be in long before we get there.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #35
Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I usually try not to. But my first time taking my TT on a trip up north to my uncles new house, he has 20 acres that sits in the woods in a national forest. He was down at my house and he was going to follow me up north.
Well 7 miles down the road I'm entering a construction zone, he gets on the phone and is screaming "pull over pull over" So I pull over and get out and my brand new stinky slinky is half way out of the bumper. So I quick grab it and throw it in the truck.
Now comes the problem merging into traffic, people in Michigan are pretty good when it comes to getting over in the other lane if someone is onthe side of the road so my GMC got quickly up to speed!.
Then by that time it was 4:45, just going into down town Grand Rapids, and north of Grand Rapids it's construction everywhere. So what normally would have taken an hour, took over 2 hours to do so.
Other than that. I really have not had an issue
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD-1998 Jayco Eagle 25 foot
AndyTblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
We try to avoid rush hour but can't always avoid it. Last Friday we hit "rush hr" traffic in Portland, Or. at 1PM. We later saw on TV that 405 in Portland was closed for repairs so that was probably the cause.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #37
Winnebago Owners Club
Drove though Baltimore & DC on Wed morning using the bypasses. Left from 20 miles north of Baltimore at 5am, It didn't seem to make much difference, the traffic was heavy. But I stayed in the slow lane or second lane as much as possible kept up with the speed limit & made it to Pocahontas State park south of Richmond by 11am.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #38
Just a note about HOV lanes per WSDOT:
there is no weight limit for recreational vehicles or buses. Towing is allowed in the HOV lanes as long as an adequate speed can be maintained and the combined weight does not exceed 10k
I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for pulling a trailer in the HOV lane but I would not do it.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
Around Everett, WA, they have a saying that "If you don't believe the dead can come back to life, you should be around Boeing at quitting time".
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #40
I close my eyes.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #41
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
I try to avoid metro area during rush hours. Drove in Miami rush hour traffic for 30 some years when the job forced me to do it.
Heading from the keys up to Stuart, I missed the exit onto the interstate and found myself in Miami rush hour traffic on the 3 lanes each way US-1 thru Miami. I swear they were 10 foot lanes. Knocked the mirror off a produce truck while I was in the middle lane, at 40 mph, no place to pull off, we both just kept on going, no way to tell who was at fault. Only other time I was as white knuckled was the first time I drove a Class A (rented) and found myself in a 11 foot lane in an interstate construction zone with a concrete barrier one foot to my right for several miles with semis on my left.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #42
We try to avoid rush hour traffic. Plan the route and timing best we can.

Hugh '09 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43'
Cummins ISL 8.9L Turbo 425hp, Spartan MM GT
Allison MD3000, '12 Jeep Wrangler
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote