Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Travel during rush hour(s) in metro area?
Yes 20 19.61%
No 27 26.47%
Sometimes 51 50.00%
Live in a metro area and have no choice 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #15

I figure if we're two up, I can use the HOV lanes - the rig is smaller than a lot of transit buses, particularly the "double-talls" that Snohomish County Community Transit has got. They're 40-foot tag axle double deckers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
Do you try to avoid driving in major metro areas during rush hour(s)? I must admit to a momentary resentment when all I'm trying to do is get home and I see a line of RVs on "MY" beltway during heavy traffic. I see this more on Thursday and Friday.

Well, if it's your beltway, it is probably like every other beltway during rush hour and everyone is going slow. Why should a motor home slow you down, or speed you up. It's rush hour.

I voted sometimes, because sometimes my trip just happens to go through a major area during rush hour. Driving in and around the Houston area quite a bit makes driving in other major areas not so white knuckled. If it happens, it happens. Life is full of surprises.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
In the Dallas area, it's always rush hour!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #18

I have found that the count of idiots who tailgate you, cut right in front of you, etc. is higher in rush hour. I think that people are a bit ticked off that this big vehicle is riding on THEIR ROAD.

Sometimes I wish I had a button that could turn me into a fully loaded dump truck with 20 million in insurance. "Oops - My foot slipped off the brake"
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had no choice back in the late 90's pulling a 32 ft fifth wheel back and forth to Houston from the Hill Country. Always got caught in a lot of traffic going south on hwy 45 towards Galveston. Between construction and idiots who got nervous driving next to me when the lanes were cut down to 2 made for fun. Wife got really nervous but I never put a scratch on my fiver or CC Dually Chevy!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #20

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. pick a lane and stay in it. have found if I need to change the majority of the time people will let me in. My next "I gotta be there appointment" is at the (hopefully) Pearly Gates. And I just cannot let someone that just wants to get home get in the way of my good time.
jeanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I prefer to not be going through any big city during rush hour but sometimes it just can't be helped and those who don't like seeing me and my trailer... too bad (although this is the first time that I've ever heard anyone say that). I pay my share of taxes and registration fees, just like the next person does and I, seriously, doubt me and my trailer are at fault for the stagnant rush hour traffic...........

When I see an RV traveling- at any time- I wish it were me traveling out of town with mine and I envy them!!!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like others, don't particularly like to drive in rush hour, but will generally not go to extra efforts to ovoid it. I prefer driving the backroads, but sometimes it's a necessary evil to travel during rush hour. Worst was the day we bought our coach on July 5th 2007 in Phoenix and hit I10 to start our extended trip back to VA up the CA coast and across the northern portion of the country. On that day, it was 121 degrees on the beltway/freeway out of Phoenix. Averaged about 15 MPH for almost 2 hrs and even with dash air and coach air it was still warm.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #23

We always try to avoid any major cities during rush hour.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will sit in a rest area or parking lot and wait out a rush area in a metropolitan area. Especially the greater Seattle (Everett to Olympia) one.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I will sit in a rest area or parking lot and wait out a rush area in a metropolitan area. Especially the greater Seattle (Everett to Olympia) one.

Have to agree with you on the greater Seattle area and "quitting time" traffic. I unknowingly tried it once a few years ago, never again. I would guess its much worse now than then. I will wait out the rush in a parking lot, time my arrival there, or bypass the area via alternate route.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #26

I do as Park and Maverick. Retired means I have a lot of time. Life is too short anyway, why cause yourself unnecessary stress.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I don't go anywhere in anything during rush hour. Did that for so many years when working. No need now.
Me too. Why screw it up for the working people. They are paying my Social Security.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I go . . . just a little more slowly.