RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #57

10 or 12 Guage?

More fun than skeet!!!

RichPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacuare View Post
I fly sailplanes, so am NOT a fan of drones. Too many people ignore regulations and common sense and fly them where we fly our planes. We fly under VFR rules, drones are hard to see, and a 5 pound drone hitting a 500 pound racing sailplane can cause fatal damage. I don't want to die because someone thinks he has a right to play with his toy wherever he wants.
OK, I'm curious. How often do sailplanes pilots fly below 400 ft. AGL (the legal limit for hobby drones) unless they are taking off or landing?

If the answer is "Never", then all we have to do is start enforcing the rules that are already in place. The drone pilot community needs to start policing itself and stop looking the other way when we see idiots breaking the law. A few very expensive and well publicized fines to people caught breaking the rules, which are actually Federal Laws, would go a long way towards curtailing the problem. What good are laws if they're not even enforced?

If, on the other hand, sailplane pilots frequently fly below 400 ft. while not near an airport, then it's they who are infringing on our airspace and the blame suddenly shifts.

I totally understand wanting to keep drones and "real" aircraft far apart, but there really should be some common sense applied to some of these rules. We live on a 5 acre parcel that's surrounded on 3 sides by 80-90' cottonwood trees. Unfortunately, I can't legally fly my drone below the trees in my own backyard because we live 4.1 miles from an airport. I've got news for you; any airplane that collides with my drone 30 feet above my backyard, and thus 50 feet below the tops of my trees must have bigger problems than a drone strike!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
How high does personal air space extend? As a pilot you must maintain 1000 ft above highest obstacle except on take off and landing .2000 laterally.
I have been a pilot for over 50 years and I know the rules. What you say is only partially correct.

The 1000 foot rule is only for congested areas. In other areas it is 500 feet, except for open water or sparsely populated areas where there is no stated limit on how low a plane can fly. There are NO altitude limits for helicopters, powered parachutes, or weight-shift aircraft. See the rules here.

This is why it is so important to respect the 400 foot rule for drones and be even more careful when droning over water or other open areas. It is nearly impossible for a pilot to see a small drone in time to avoid it. You are not at risk when flying your drone, but a careless or reckless drone pilot could kill somebody.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #60

We picked up a mavic pro to shoot video and photos when we make deliveries of our trailers. We also found it extremely useful when we were having our new manufacturing facility built. Taking aerial footage of the progress provided amazing videos. We started when there was just dirt work and then our last video shot this week was of our first trailer rolling out of our new facility. Absolutely awesome quality video and photos.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have been a pilot for over 50 years and I know the rules. What you say is only partially correct.

The 1000 foot rule is only for congested areas. In other areas it is 500 feet, except for open water or sparsely populated areas where there is no stated limit on how low a plane can fly. There are NO altitude limits for helicopters, powered parachutes, or weight-shift aircraft. See the rules here.

This is why it is so important to respect the 400 foot rule for drones and be even more careful when droning over water or other open areas. It is nearly impossible for a pilot to see a small drone in time to avoid it. You are not at risk when flying your drone, but a careless or reckless drone pilot could kill somebody.
I agree with you completely. Having logged over 5000 hrs. Having lost engines on both single and multi didn't need the added stress of drones around a beach or airport getting in the way.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Personal air space used to be under 83' but now it doesn't exist. A drone can legally fly anywhere in your property and is protected by law and FAA rules. There may be a change in regulations soon to keep drones above 200' over property.
A summary of rules for UAS:

http:/https://www.namic.org/pdf/dron...eairspace.pdf/
A few questions...

NAMIC.org is the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies. What do they do to set policy for drone operations anywhere?

Where does the FAA "protect" drone operations?

If your drone is an aircraft, and protected from shootdown as such, why does it not have to comply with these aircraft rules?

91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere Ė An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas Ė Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas Ė An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

To me, and any reasonable person, a drone is an inanimate object. If it is a threat, or even a nuisance, I will terminate it like a hanging branch. Real aircraft are protected because there is a real pilot in it. A drone is a toy at best, a tool for voyeurs, and a weapon at worst. Like poking me with a stick, you can be assured I'll take that stick away.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post

. Unfortunately, I can't legally fly my drone below the trees in my own backyard because we live 4.1 miles from an airport. I've got news for you; any airplane that collides with my drone 30 feet above my backyard, and thus 50 feet below the tops of my trees must have bigger problems than a drone strike!
SilverBob, you can actually fly in your area up to your 400 feet provided you notify the adjacent airport of your intent and request their permission. You have to inform them of the day, the time, and your intended maximum altitude. Of course they have the right to refuse your request but you can certainly ask.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #64

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I would never shoot a gun in the air but wish I could to get the drone down (if it came back)!

Now a water gun, I'm all in.

At my age, life in prison doesn't seem like much of a deterrent. Ok, I'm not that old but still.

Mark
No worries Mark!

If you go to prison for unlawfully discharging a garden hose at a drone, I'm willing to keep your coach exercised till you get out !!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Who's got one?
What kind?
Where do you fly it?
Any special purpose for it?
I own two: a DJI Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic Pro. Love them both. I also have a commercial (Part107) license from the FAA. In my current job, Iíve flown many different sUAS (fixed wing and mutirotors) for a Department of Homeland Security project at Quantico VA. https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/news/2018/05/11/snapshot-c-uas-urban-environments

For me personally, I fly wherever I can. Last spot was Lake George NY. Iím hoping that I can transition to flying for my own business soon. The perspective from these aerial platforms has really opened up new world for photographers and videographers.
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #66

I am a newbie to drones, and my first drone just arrived by mail this week. I didn't want to spend what a DJI costs, so I bought an MJX Bugs 5W for under $200. What drones can do today is amazing, with GPS built in to return (hopefully) to the origin point upon loss of signal or low battery.

I haven't tested my drone yet - it literally arrived on the first day we've had this winter where it snowed all day. However, I plan to use it flying around and capturing videos and photos of the landscape in our area. Plus, I will be using it fishing to fly out my lure/bait and release it over the water. We fish a few reservoirs in our area where the water level can fluctuate quite a bit, and this will allow me to get the lure/bait out beyond where one can cast.
ElliottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Such as being basically (and thankfully) banned in national parks........

https://www.nps.gov/articles/unmanne...onal-parks.htm

not a legal ban. and it is illegally extended many times.

it is only a tfr, (temporary flight restriction).
to have been used to do a "study" but no study has even been started. and can not be done if no drones can fly there. a catch 22 deal.

no i do not want to see a couple drones using the Washington monument as a racing pylon. or a fool trying to land on Lincolns head, and god forbid a drone buzzing close to the tomb of the unknown.

but just because the sierra club, or some other NON governmental agency or even a un-elected bureaucrat says X it should not be so.
and as of tonight's news (January 10 2019) there have been NO drones interfering with any maned aircraft in the United States.
couple reported in the past number of years, with NO proof of any drone in the area.
even the great gatwick airport closure, it has been proven it was the airport police drone that was seen.

but as to the posters question. yes i own two, one a cheap one hard to fly. one cost a bunch of bucks, a mavic pro "platinum".
it is 4 decibels quieter than the reg pro model. not much but it is much quieter.
the cam is a ok unit. learning how to use it better, then trying to work the computer to see much. and NO it does not have a heavy telescopic lens on it. so i would have to be in your yard to see anything of you. but it does get great wide open shots of the forests. and sunsets. the views one can get that you can not get standing on the ground.
but unless you have about $10,000.00 USD and UP. you are limited to only 25 min max flight times.
yes costs more than a better hand held cam, but you can get better cams to hold onto. read $$$$
but not to mount to a drone of consumer pricing. (under $2,000.00 USD).
fun toys, takes a bit of skill to fly. till then you will hover around a bit. that's what freaks people out. they believe you are looking at them.

sad, new laws are stupid restrictive. and more on the way. if you get one fly safe, away from buildings and trees. and people that are thinking you want to watch them.

read up on the flight rules and all the crazy laws.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
but just because the sierra club, or some other NON governmental agency or even a un-elected bureaucrat says X it should not be so.
and as of tonight's news (January 10 2019) there have been NO drones interfering with any maned aircraft in the United States.
couple reported in the past number of years, with NO proof of any drone in the area.

Beg to differ.

Last summer, firefighting flights during the California fires were suspended several times because drones were invading the effected areas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/faa-records-detail-hundreds-of-close-calls-between-airplanes-and-drones/2015/08/20/5ef812ae-4737-11e5-846d-02792f854297_story.html
https://flightsafety.org/drone-interference/
https://www.aviationtoday.com/2017/03/17/drones-came-close-airplanes-1800-times-2016/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/federal-aviation-administration-surge-in-reports-of-drones-interfering-with-aircraft/
RichPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Drone

I have a drone the DJI Mavic 2 I have fun using it like a great camera but with access to many inaccessible locations a good one has auto return and land, it will follow you allowing for great photos at the same time theyíve become user friendly. I got my original $80 drone to inspect the roof of my motor home makes looking at the roof a 5 min ordeal especially since I have knee issues restricting climbing. Look at it as a camera and a tool with some entertainment if you choose.
DvdLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #70

I have a DJI Mavic Pro. $1,200.00. Airial Video. I do not find it difficult to find places to fly other than National Parks.

JoeyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote