Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
What did you use to edit the video?
JoeyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #72

This is what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
I have the Yuneec Typhoon H with a 4k camera. Its pretty amazing! I can fly almost 4,000 feet high and over a mile away! It takes some pretty cool pictures and videos. It's a blast to fly! When they 1st came out, they were about $2000. I just bought mine which is a factory refurbished unit for a 1/4 of that and it flys great! Very pleased with it.Attachment 230605
I wrote about not being a fan of drones. "Almost 4000 feet and over a mile away??" The law says you must register it, you must be licensed, you must fly it within YOUR line of sight and you must stay under 400 feet. https://www.businessinsider.com/dron...lations-2017-7
Pacuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #73

I bought a mavic pro some time ago. I bought it for photography purposes. However, I’m not all that thrilled about the ever increasing over regulation of remote controlled flying machines these days... I’ve built and flown planes nearly all my life, but now they invented a machine that has a camera and is super easy to fly, now you can’t really fly anywhere.

Used to be able to fly in nearly any open space with nitro powered planes that zip around at a 100+mph and sound like a weed whacked with a bull horn for a muffler...the only bother you’d get is someone popping by to watch and ask if you could do any tricks... maybe get laughed at if you hit the ground in a big balsa wood explosion.... now you just get yelled at by paranoid idiots who think they’re interesting enough to spy on and the police called on you whenever someone thinks you might have a drone...
Sgt_Dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #74

This is an interesting thread to me. I've had two "toy" (under $200) drones and am ready to move up to a more "professional" drone to improve control and for better video/pictures.

I started with a non-GPS drone and could do some limited flying but never really felt like I had great control over it. I then bought a $150 GPS drone that had a better camera and loved the solid control I had/have. It's got a lot of features that have convinced me to get a better unit so I can take more advantage of them. I'm not sure what I'll get but I know it will be a GPS unit with at least a 1080P 60FPS camera.

I love taking aerial pictures in different places and doing slow pans and incorporating them into my videos. I really view it as a mobile camera platform.

Having said that, I think people need to be aware that just because you can see a drone, doesn't mean that it's photographing you. It could be pointed in an entirely different direction. The camera is so small that you can't see it. Also, the amount of detail that you can see is quite small. Unless you have an industrial model over several thousand dollars, you're not getting the detail that people think you are getting. People need to be respectful of others privacy but people on the other side of the coin also need to be realistic about what is being captured.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #75

My drones

My real drones are:
DJI Phantom 3S
DJI Phantom 3 Pro my favorite
DJI Phantom 4
DJI Telo to fly around house

I had a small business but don't have time now. Haven't combined RVing and drones yet.

Love DJI because so easy to fly but also it makes them boring. They give you beautiful Arial shots.

Except for the Telo all bought used from people who got out of the hobby.

Yes they are registered never go above 400ft and generally almost always within LOS.
DougLeppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacuare View Post
I wrote about not being a fan of drones. "Almost 4000 feet and over a mile away??" The law says you must register it, you must be licensed, you must fly it within YOUR line of sight and you must stay under 400 feet. https://www.businessinsider.com/dron...lations-2017-7
If you would read the whole thread ,you would see I have already addressed this comment! I could care less if you are not a fan of drones, I really like mine!! And I still stand behind my comments of what my drone can do! I bet you have a car, and that car can do 100 mph, even though the speed limit is 55 mph!! Just because my drone is capable of going really high and really far does not mean that I do it!! Yes, I have my FAA registration numbers on the side of my drone with my phone number and name. We own a couple hundred acres so, 400 feet is not very far but, I follow the rules! So, you just Assumed that I was actually out flying mine 4000 feet high and over a mile away and out of my sight. You know what you get when you Assume? [Moderator Edit]
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #77

Inspecting the roof

If you want to inspect the roof of your motor home duct tape your phone to a piece of PVC pipe and walk around the coach. Look at the video on your computer and save yourself a bunch of money!

Sudsy
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
If you want to inspect the roof of your motor home duct tape your phone to a piece of PVC pipe and walk around the coach. Look at the video on your computer and save yourself a bunch of money!

Sudsy
Yeah, for purely practical purposes like this, not worth it. But you hike into a beautiful clearing with a creek, lake and waterfall and you want a unique beautiful photo of it, worth every penny. You need at least a little photography enthusiast in you to put up with the expense and legal hassle involved.... if you want something to buzz around with for a little fun, it can be done fairly cheaply, but you won’t get nice images...
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacuare View Post
Also keep in mind, they sell these the world over and not everyone is bound by US hobbiest laws. Like mentioned, you can buy a car capable of driving down a winding mountain pass at 200mph, doesn’t mean you can legally do it.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You now need a licence in Canada. Lots of restrictions, so do your research first
BigAl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #81

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With all the air travel problems caused by drones in London recently, look for a lot of restrictions World wide soon.

Glenn
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl19 View Post
You now need a licence in Canada. Lots of restrictions, so do your research first
Not until june
Old 01-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #83

Some areas with high magnetic fields are hard to fly in, I was trying to film a waterfall, but apparently there was a lot of iron ore in the rock and the drone wanted to drift badly! Caught it with my hands before it crashed! High voltage transmission lines also affect it, so stay far away from them when possible.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

Sudsy
I used to be a home inspector. I have a camera mount on a telescopic pole that I used for inspecting inaccessible roofs. I use a wifi camera that can be monitored with my cell phone. I an inexpensive drone alternative for roof inspections.