Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Talk about hijacking a thread!!!!!!
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #44

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Yup sorry for my part in that.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
I don't see where we were too far off track. The last question the original poster asked was "Any special purpose for it?"

They are also used for spying and I think that is not too far off topic talking about the repercussions from it.

Safe travels and droning to all!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I don't see where we were too far off track. The last question the original poster asked was "Any special purpose for it?"

They are also used for spying and I think that is not too far off topic talking about the repercussions from it.

Safe travels and droning to all!
Mark
Used our drone for fish spotting in fl off shore. Worked great.[emoji572] [emoji328] [emoji225] [emoji226] [emoji227] [emoji228] [emoji229] [emoji223] [emoji223]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #47

Excel Owners Club
Who's got one? Just shy of 3 weeks now.
What kind? DJI Phantom 4
Where do you fly it? Only 5 times so far, anyplace legal.
Any special purpose for it? Just for fun.

Here is a video link from New Years Day when we were off roading. https://youtu.be/eYt3xF2FHGc
wkayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #48

DJI Mavic Pro... Use it because it is fun to fly, shoots great cinematic video. I am licensed.

BTW a drone is considered an aircraft by the FAA as stated earlier, so any attack on one would be a Federal offense. Imagine shooting a firehose at a hovering helicopter. You'd be busted.

Fly politely, fly courteously, fly legally.
Exit theFray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Mallard35
We recently bought the DJI Mavic Pro 2. It has a 4K camera for video or stills. Plus, I can easily stream LIVE content to our Vimeo, FB or Twitter audiences.

We use this while investigating ancient sites or exploring hard to reach places. [Mod Edit]

Hope this helps : )

Best Wishes
Jerry & Kathy Wills
Mallard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #50

I have about a dozen

StoryMap - A Nation of Drones: Map of UAV No Fly Zones

Of all sizes, shapes and purposes. I am including a link to the "No Fly Zone Map". Notice all the restrictions.

I have been building and flying them since the late 90s.

I can assure all you fathers of teenage daughters that unless the drone is close enough to throw a towel over it's not getting any "spy shots" You just don't see many flying with those big zoom lenses.

Sudsy
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I have a DJI phantom 3 Advanced. I fly it around my property and when out boondocking. I use it to check/send messages in areas where there is no cell service. I just tie the cell phone to the drone ,then take it up 600 ft or so for a few minutes . If anyone has sent a message , I will get it on the phone. Same works for sending messages. So far it has worked in every site I have been in.
Great idea! LOL!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #52

A good app to see where you can fly, and where not, is Drone Buddy, there are a lot of grass field airports you never would have known exsisted. It uses your present location. It also gives windspeed which is important because UAV's can easily get blown out of range on a windy day. Almost lost mine in Ohio because of a storm that popped up, but the RTH feature saved the day!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
How high does personal air space extend? As a pilot you must maintain 1000 ft above highest obstacle except on take off and landing .2000 laterally.[emoji573] [emoji574] [emoji663] [emoji662]
Just to clarify, the 1000' is for fixed wing airplanes over congested areas. Non-congested areas is 500 feet. Helicopters are allowed to go below that per the FAA regs, which state, 91.119 "(d) Helicopters – Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Drones are more akin to helicopters since they have no wings.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Who's got one?
What kind?
Where do you fly it?
Any special purpose for it?
I bought an inexpensive one off eBay for fun and grandkids. They do better than I do but the inexpensive ones less than $100 are hard to control.and have a short control range. Mine went too be high and flew away. I noticed on YouTube that are used quite a bit .I was hoping to use to check out the top of RV and house.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #55

I fly sailplanes, so am NOT a fan of drones. Too many people ignore regulations and common sense and fly them where we fly our planes. We fly under VFR rules, drones are hard to see, and a 5 pound drone hitting a 500 pound racing sailplane can cause fatal damage. I don't want to die because someone thinks he has a right to play with his toy wherever he wants.
Pacuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #56

Mavic Pro Drone I have had about a year. I have a Part 107 license, but it was supposed to be for fun. The restrictions and attitudes really put a damper on flying it. But I have a unique solution. I secure it to my plane. That allows me to get shots in State and Federal parks. As previously mentioned in rural areas I can get to 500' legally. In parks it might be more like 1000'. In wilderness even lower if there are no wildlife restrictions.

The drone struggles a bit with stabilization. It really works only in smooth air. But it works. Check out some videos.

https://youtu.be/P1tp0k4Obqw
Jaguar56 is offline   Reply With Quote