Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It had to be almost 30 years ago, oldest girl was about 8 and she is 37 now. First trip of the season in our old used Coleman popup. We had left the pillows in the camper over the winter and when we set up camp, the pillows felt damp. It was raining outside, so I lit the stove and set the pillows against each other by the flames. The girls were marching around in the camper, the pillows fell on the flames and I grabbed the burning pillows to throw them outside. The pillows were those old chucks of foam that stuff burns really good! I dropped burning foam all over the floor of the camper. We were lucky and had no damage to the camper and it is funny now.

Lightseekers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Left for a trip after dewinterizing---- and on the road my passenger had used the bathroom and, of course, left the water pump on per normal procedure. I got stalled in traffic and see fluid pouring out the side below the storage bays. I got over through traffic and with all my worries about "maybe it's gas" it turned out to be the outside shower I forgot to turn off after winterizing. LOL

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Towed the trailer 3 miles down a curvy, rutted, increasingly narrow Forest Service road that I "knew" led to a campground.
It didn't.
Had to back up almost a mile (in the dark) to a place big enough to turn around in.

Francesca
Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #18

Memorial Weekend parking the MH. All set to back up DW and I have looked at the site and see what we need to avoid and where we want to put the rig. Only forgot to look at what was in front of the rig or what we might encounter while backing up. Pull forward and start to back up and looking at DW in mirror for signals. All of a sudden I here a crunch and bang. Stop - turn engine off- get out and look at right front bumper. We forgot to look for the other campsite marker post. Almost took it out of the ground and torn off the clearance light on that side. Felt like a fool because they were watching and people behind me waiting for me to back into spot. Fixed the post and had to buy the light on Monday.

Then on Monday we went to leave and MH wouldn't start. Dead starter battery. Tried emergency start didn't work, ran generator to charge batteries (no hookups at this site) ran for an hour no good. Went to the site accross from us and the nice gentleman jumped us. Figured it was time to buy a new battery. Went to take out the battery and low and behold we had some sort of switch on negative cable. Never seen one. So took battery out and placed on charger. Took picture of switch and went to NAPA store (they know us real well) and asked what it was. A knife switch to flip when MH is in storage. Explained what MH did and he said if not fully ingaged it will not start the coach. Apparently so. Next day put battery back threw switch and guess what MH turned over like new.

Who would have thunk.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #19
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The jury is still out on my dumbest, but my smartest has been reading this thread. What a MARVELOUS start to a new day. Thanks for the belly laughs, Y'all!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Memorial Weekend parking the MH. All set to back up DW and I have looked at the site and see what we need to avoid and where we want to put the rig. Only forgot to look at what was in front of the rig or what we might encounter while backing up. Pull forward and start to back up and looking at DW in mirror for signals. All of a sudden I here a crunch and bang. Stop - turn engine off- get out and look at right front bumper. We forgot to look for the other campsite marker post. Almost took it out of the ground and torn off the clearance light on that side. Felt like a fool because they were watching and people behind me waiting for me to back into spot. Fixed the post and had to buy the light on Monday.

That sounds familiar! Which reminds me...
Perhaps you'd be willing to help with an ongoing Domestic Disagreement in my "camp":
Does the driver or the signaler get the blame in that circumstance?
My husband is unwilling to accept my assertion that "It depends on whether I'm driving or signaling"...

Francesca
Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #21

First time I had to drive the Beast out of our little property on THE Tippecanoe River to get the propane tank refilled I forgot to crank the TV antenna down. My place is on a private road the doesn't have the trees trimmed to clear larger vehicles so for now we are without an antenna and I've got a hole to keep plugged up on our roof. I also tried to burn our unit down with a cheep little DC heater made for cars. Left us with soot throughout the camper to clean up and a big burn mark in front of the bathroom.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
On vacation two years ago, I was backing in pretty much like Awarnes above did...DW watching the back as I slowly and carefully backed in and even after being lectured by Mr Know-it-all....(me)....she did not warn me about the campground flagpole on my blind right side and I made the flagpole pay the ultimate price for just standing there. I must say, the CG owners were nice and did not charge me to fix it. The front right side of my MH still has the scar and I'm intending on leaving it as a testament to my negligence.
RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Pulled the metal cover off my awning on a leaning telephone pole. It also broke the mirror on the passenger side. Maybe that wasn't so dumb, but paying to have the awning replaced was dumb. It wasn't really damaged, just missing the cover and the new one wasn't as good as the old one was. Had to go back to have it adjusted because the metal cover was too loose. Should have just lived with it.

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote