Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
DW Driving

How often does your DW drive the MH or is your like mine, either sleeps in the passenger's seat, or goes back and sleeps on the couch, when not giving me instructions? OK, I know this is a dangerous question, but my DW is doing what she does a lot of, naps.

2011 Coachmen Concord, Ford E450
DRosedale, BRosedale and Yorkies, Max, Molly, Harley
Pineville, LA
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
My DW drives about a third of the time, I drive for a couple of hours and she will drive for and hour or a little more. It sure helps me to be able to take some time off and rest. Her driving skills came in handy this year on our way to Florida after I slipped on some ice and broke my left leg. I could still drive, but she very quickly became our primary driver. She did let me drive through Atlanta.

We both took the RV Driving course at Lazy Days in Florida and it helped her gain a lot of confidence.

Denny, Connie & Shadow (former barn cat made good)
2000 Itasca Horizon, Cat 3126B, Freightliner Chassis
Martind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
In over 100,000 miles over RV travel, DW has driven a total of 60 miles when we first had our class C on a flat interstate in MN. I woke to up her white knuckles and swearing that she would never drive a motorhome again.

Now she spends most of her time in the 'cave' which my sons call the back bedroom.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been rving since 1974 and my DW has never driven. She is scared to even think of driving such a large vehicle. She is my co-pilot and go-fer. Go for water, cold drinks, sandwiches and snacks.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife rarely drives. When she does, it is usually at my insistance. She really doesn't enjoy it, But I am 71 and you never know when she may have to take over. I believe all wives should stay current, If they are able to drive.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Husband drives about 25% of the time, wife 75% in this family. Just the way we've done it for years.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Well, it's not a MH, but then again, this topic isn't in the MH forums - it's in Just Conversation.

Since buying her new truck (see signature), my wife has put probably 75% of the towing miles on the rig. I have to fight to get stick time any more.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
I'm the DW

and I am also a farm wife. I did my share of driving tractors with grain carts attached and two times a farm truck. Didn't much like it either. I'm short...5'2"...reaching the pedals in most rigs is a stretch (pun intended). I'm also not good at backing up or backing in which means I'm not going to park in a lot of camping areas. Besides, it gets really annoying when the person next to you keeps putting his foot through the floor board when he thinks it's time to slow down or stop or whatever So he drives and I pilot, make reservations and keep the dogs from coming up front in the cab. I also find radio stations, news, farm market news and whatever else he wants because our new pickup has the latest computer and he doesn't know how to use it and yes, I also take naps once in awhile kkd
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

None. Never. Not once. Not at all.

As much as I would love to get a break every couple of hours, DW and I have agreed that it is not her strong suit and her being copilot works just fine for us.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
None. Never. Not once. Not at all.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ditto X2
Life is nothing but a dream,
We only go around once, so never miss a chance to smile.......
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up DW Behind the Wheel?

Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
How often does your DW drive the MH ...
If you'd have asked me at the beginning, I'd have said she would rarely drive, if ever.

What I hate about wives is that, even after nearly four decades, they'll rise up and surprise you

Now, she'd done everything but night city driving. I mean, she happily backs into campsites, backs into the driveway and hangar, threads it between the brick mailboxes that line our narrow streets. The woman is suddenly fearless.

You might've guessed, there's an agenda here: she's warming up to pile all the neighborhood wives aboard, go for the weekend...

There's nothing wrong with having DW navigate; or, for that matter, you couples where he rarely touches the wheel. Whatever works.

BTW, I'm on a Tokyo layover with a fellow pilot who drives a 45' with a tag axle; she and hubby split their driving down the middle. Yes, I told her what a wonderful bunch you all are; and she's lurking here, on our site, for the first time today!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DW can drive, but would prefer to be in the copilot seat asleep.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
My DW would like to drive it. However she wants to take the Lazy Days course first. Personally I don't think Michelob makes enough lite for me to consume to be comfortable enough to be in the rig while she drives it. I have trouble being a co-pilot in our Tahoe. Let me clarify before the DWs on here take offense. My issue with this is strictly... My little lady is a good driver. I would just rather be at the wheel. Me a control freak? Who would have guessed..,,

rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote