Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #43

Of all of the difficult things that I have done in my life, I think that quitting is probably the one that I most appreciate today. I started in boot camp in 1960 and stopped some 27 years later. Sure am glad that I did and I encourage all of you to do whatever works to quit.

Those things are not only bad for health, but the stink and they are horribly expensive. Addictions do suck! Hang in there as it will be worth the tough times.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
... The differences between alcohol and tobacco additions are quite different in my opinion. There are drugs known to cause addition in tobacco (nicotine at a minimum) but no such drug in alcohol. I agree that alcohol may not be good for you, but studies comparing the health effects from smoking or drinking clearly make smoking a much worse health hazard. There are even some studies that show that a moderate amount of certain types of alcohol can be good for you...
Would you like tell that my great uncle (my mom's uncle)?? He's buried in the Arlington National Cemetery (his excuse for drinking was that he survived the Bataan Death March... but what was his excuse for the excessive drinking before that) . He died from cirrhosis of the liver the same as two of his brothers (I don't think I ever saw them completely sober and they died in their late 80's to early 90's). David's mom died from complications of alcoholism (she was drying out at the time in a hospital). My grandfather (my dad's side) died from cirrhosis of the liver. I have one uncle (has his AA 25 yr pin) that would probably differ with you over that statement. Alcohol is the drug that is addictive. And anyone who tells you they can quit anytime or they don't have a problem with drinking needs to take another look.

And if I happen to have pissed anyone off with that statement, well tough. It just happens to be that I see alcohol addiction a little differently than many others.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well actually Lorna you and Bill are both correct here. Can't believe that I'm an expert on addiction at this stage in my life.. but here goes. I have been sober for 8 years. I went into rehab for both alcoholism and drug addiction. Alcoholism has to do with the way my liver and body metabolizes alcohol... it's a physical difference in alcoholics and normal drinkers.... addiction to drugs is where your body builds up a tolerance and addiction to a chemical substance... it is different than alcoholics. At AA meetings I go to, some people introduce themselves as alcoholics and others introduce themselves as addicts... I am both, because I was also addicted to opiates (pain pills).
Both are very hard to overcome and that's why we say we can only do it one day at a time.
Nicotine addiction is a huge problem in the sober community... and everyone thinks "leave me one vice"... unfortunately that one is just as deadly if not more so. I'm only now after being sober 8 years able to consider breaking my nicotine addiction.
That's why this device ( e cigs ) is so exciting to me. Even if all I do is use it as a replacement device rather than a quit device I'm still healthier.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
... I have been sober for 8 years... At AA meetings I go to, some people introduce themselves as alcoholics and others introduce themselves as addicts...
Good for you. I have many friends who are both alcoholics and are addicted to drugs. I suspect (based on personal observations of both friends and family) that there is some correlation between the two. But I have also been told that I am often wrong by many people who believe they are smarter than I am.

I simply don't see why e cigs are so bad when they are harming no one but the person smoking it, and if someone decides to step down to 0 nicotine yet still smoke the 0 nicotine flavored liquids, well so what.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #47

I tried to be a alcoholic but failed..I owned the bar too and still failed. Now I am retired and have a beer before dinner and e-cig after. My doc says whatever you are doing, just keep doing it as I have never seen you in better health.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverruby View Post
I tried to be a alcoholic but failed..I owned the bar too and still failed. Now I am retired and have a beer before dinner and e-cig after. My doc says whatever you are doing, just keep doing it as I have never seen you in better health.
Good for you River. I was surprised that my Doctor actually recommended the ecig to me. But I'm glad he did.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #49

My father was an alcoholic and I can, with great conviction, tell you that I wish he had only been addicted to cigarettes. He was an alcoholic when he met my mother and he was an alcoholic for his entire life less the last 12 years when he finally found sobriety. The disease of alcoholism is a terrible thing and has far reaching effects well beyond the person effected. Despite my father being sober for the final 12 years of his life, we were never able to resolve our differences and when he died I had no remorse and no feeling of loss. I chose not to say goodbye at the hospital or the funeral home as I knew that at least with his passing he would no longer tell me how I had failed at everything I had ever tried.
Strangely enough, that voice still haunts me to this day and I believe that it has somehow made me stronger (or at least made me try to be stronger) while I try to prove to myself that I am not that worthless boy he said I was.
No smoker is going to do that to their child. As a former smoker and a daily cocktail hour drinker I am blessed to not be cursed by either of these addictions but as the child of an alcoholic I am keenly aware that I have a higher likelihood of this addiction than others.
I believe that my wife (a smoker since she was 14) nearly got to the point of no return that her father went down and later died of Emphysema but was somehow saved from this fate by an episode brought on by a very cold, rainy fishing trip. After having to sit up in the bed to sleep she "knew" that she had 2 choices. Smoke and die or quit and live. I am very fortunate that she chose the quit route but many, like her father, did not / cannot.
I am not sure why I am rambling on here, but I have been hurt by comments that others believe that I am somehow making posts that they believe are meant to be "holier than thou" and that's simply not the case. I am very passionate about certain issues and smoking happens to be one where I nearly lost the person I most value in this life. For that passion I apologize but I cannot say that I am sorry.
For those effected by alcoholic's in their life I feel your pain. No one who has not had a direct relationship with an alcoholic will ever understand and to compare alcohol to tobacco is, IMHO, an injustice to those who have suffered at the hand of that disease.
I guess it's time for me to go back to talking about satellite and ignore the topics on the sidebar. That should keep me out of trouble, at least for awhile.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bill I apologize for my words that hurt your feelings. I guess we all get a little passioned on certain subjects.
Ed
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #51

I meant no offense by any of my earlier posts, either. I really never do.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nearly 2 weeks

still going strong. No urges for real cigarettes, lots of energy, better breathing, no stinking... less expensive... the list goes on and on. I sent a starter kit of the e cigarette to my Dad yesterday. He's 80 and still smokes. Hopefully not for long though.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #53

I just googled e cigarette starter kit and got over 204,000 results. Any recommendations I should look at. We both smoke, stopped for 8 months and started again last year. We'd like to stop again, for good this time.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
To Vickie and Ronnie and all others so afflicted.....

Here is a simple solution to stopping your smoking habit and it is sure fire and it will work...
One .... Go to your lawyer and give him a certified check for ten grand and put the check in my name.
Two...... Tell your lawyer that if you have not stopped smoking permanently in two months and this is confirmed by tests performed by your doctor, that he is to mail this check for ten grand to Seajay the sailor man
Three.... Write another certified check and put it in my name also with the same understand that IF YOU START SMOKING AGAIN. your lawyer is to send this second check to Seajay the sailor man.
Repeat the above till you stop smoking or your run out of money and you cant afford ciggies any more.........lol....
Best of luck to you and all who try to ''Kick the Weed'' ........ I did it and I smoked for over 55 years, two packs a day......

Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ....... ALL GAVE SOME.... SOME GAVE ALL ...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
personal note to tedward1555
YOU GO GUY..... If the E ciggie thingie will help you kick the habit of ''ciggies'' I say GO FOR IT GUY. If chewin' on a handful of straw or baying at the moon will get you off the ciggie,,,,,,, DO IT and ''Go HANG'' to anyone that would discourage you.. Almost anything is better than slowly poisoning yourself with ciggies. I speak from experience and over 55 years of practice...... And dont let no one change your mind if something works for you.
''course, this is just my opinion on the subject''

''Nuff Said''
Seajay the sailor man...
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well today is day 18 without a cigarette and I FEEL GREAT!!! I don't ever remember being able to take such deep breaths. Or actually running up the stairs here at the house, without even thinking about it... then I think, damn did I just run up the stairs?
Thanks for all the encouragement and thanks SeaJay for the p.m. You are right on about that character.
I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject... almost as if I want to find something bad about the e ciggies... I'm not a scientist, but guess what none of those who are have been able to find anything bad about them either.
Seems to me the only reason you don't see television commercials and bill boards everywhere about them is because big tobacco and big government both stand to lose billions of dollars because of them. I really do believe however that these devices will change the world and sooner than later smoking tobacco will be a thing of the past... just like the 8 Track, or Beta Video.
As far as brand... I think they are all pretty much the same.. However, I prefer the 3 piece brands. That is the battery, atomizer, and cartridge. This gives me the ability to add my own smoke juice.. and that is available from several U.S. manufacturers. That just makes me feel more comfortable about what I'm vaporizing. "Vaping" instead of smoking.
My favorite brand is: No. 7 Here is a link: E Cigarettes, Electronic Cigarettes, Wholesale E Cigs by No.7
Good luck to anyone who wants to quit smoking... at least give e ciggies a try.
Ed