Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Early morning driving

Am I the only one that likes to get up at 2am and drive? Heck I can drive in the middle of the road if I like.

flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Which is probably why I don't start out until after 10am!! I recently purchased tickets for the Durango Silverton train (great family fun) and was told by the nice lady to be at the station at 8:15....my reply...Oh, so you have an evening train.
The grandkids had me to the station on time for a full day of fun.

kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
We usually hit the road at dark:30 ... As my dad calls it.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL
2007 Chevy Uplander toad (tow master dolly)
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by flangley View Post
Am I the only one that likes to get up at 2am and drive? Heck I can drive in the middle of the road if I like.
Thanks for the warning!

I like to see the sights, so oh-dark-thirty isn't acceptable. We like to leave either ahead of or right after 'rush' hour and quit about 3 in the afternoon. At least in the West, no problem getting a site and all settled in to relax, watching whatever else is going on.

ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm a big fan of night driving as well. The roads are so much more peaceful. You do miss out on scenery that isn't lit up. And you have to remember to move your head more often with less to see to prevent neck pain. I still enjoy it over daytime.
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
I can't see much at 02:30 except the road and oncoming headlights. For us the journey is part of the adventure. We like to take scenic routs, take our time, and enjoy the view. Sometimes it terrific scenery, sometimes it's a an old abandon junk yard. There all interesting.
Were quite proud of our early start if we can get on the road by 10:00.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Traveling at night increases your chances of getting your deer or other critter. I'll stick to the daylight when the critters are usually laying around in the shade.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your right when I go visit relatives it is usually the same scenery I have seen before but when we go somewhere different we do go in the evening when the wife is driving. I am getting old so I don't see too well. Thank goodness I married a 20 year old. Just kidding even though I think she is since I married her when she was quite a few years ago.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
On the road at 10am off at 3pm whats the rush? Also too many pine goats at night. Better visibility in daylight.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
I like the early morning drive before the sun rises. When the kids were younger, I would get up early and drive while they were sleeping. By the time they woke up the sun was up and I was ready to take a break sometimes for breakfast or just a stretch. Sometimes driving at night was cooler in the south mid west. You still needed your AC but it was not struggling to maintain cooling temp. Also if I was near a big city such as LA or Washington DC or New York it was faster to drive at night without using detours to get around the traffic jams.
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
If I try to drive early in the morning I will fall asleep while going down the road. Many years of working taught me how to wake up early and make it to work in one piece. Sometimes I couldn't remember driving certain sections of the road, but I forced myself to do it. If I was going to a campground I had to leave after work and it was always dark when I arrived. Now as I have gotten older, I no longer feel comfortable driving in the dark in unfamiliar areas. I sleep until I wake up and feel comfortable to drive and most of the time it is noon before I am packed up and ready to pull out. If I had help it would be different, but since I am disabled and move slowly now I get out whenever I can.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am the same way I always wake up early due to waking up and going to work at 4am usually because I was up at 1 or 2am anyway and we had flexible hours. I was a planner and planned work 3 to 4 weeks in advance so there was no reason I needed to be at work at a certain time. People hated the fact that I was leaving work at 3 in the afternoon and had 2 hours overtime. We are going to Rayburn for Memorial weekend and I craving to hit the highway. I hope it doesn't get any worse because I love my motor coach. I have had 6 back surgeries and it is the only way I can go anywhere and I love it. Told the wife I may stay so she may think about retiring
Old 05-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
I've found a leisurely extra cup of coffee and a 10am start is best for us. I spent a number of years at various jobs requiring rush commuting and think it shortens your life.
15 Vegas with a red toad
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #14

Night driving is okay if you are in a major metropolitan are and there is a problem with traffic. Other then that I like to take in the scenery of he day driviing.

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote