Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Earth axis moved 4 inches.

Ok all you smarty pants answer me this. According to this article http://http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as
iapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1

the earth moved 4 inches on it's axis.

My question is, why don't we have to re-tune our satellite dishes? Didn't everyone move 4 inches in a different direction after the quake?
The satellites are roughly 22K miles above us, 4 inches at that distance has gotta be a few miles

Somebody, please straighten me out

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
sats move in synchrony with the earth so if the axis moved the sats moved with it
im not an engineer but i did sleep in my gtown last week
brianj
Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The entire universe moved due to the earthquake in Japan...
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The link in the OP doesn't work. Here's the corrected link.

I wouldn't think that 4 inches would make much difference in that we aim our dish using degrees of direction, not measurement of distance. It would be like if you moved your satellite dish 4" after it's aimed and locked onto the satellite. Probably wouldn't make a tremendous difference in terms of degree setting on the dish.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

let's see. 4 inches is about 10 cm and the earth radius is 6,371 km. A geosynchronous orbit has a radius of 42,155 km or almost 7 times the earth radius. So, if all else is constant, a shift of 4 inches on the surface is about like a shift 28 inches at geosynchronous altitudes.

Now, compare that to the size of the satellite and to the pattern of your receiving antenna.

Or consider how much you'd have to change the aim of your satellite dish if you move across the campground.

Of course, you will need to adjust your clocks. PhysOrg reports somebody has calculated that the shift in the earth's mass distribution will cause the day to be about a microsecond longer than it was before the quakes - or was it shorter? whatever.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Does that mean my in motion dish wont find the satellite?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I remember the runways at Reagan National were changed in 1999.

Runways 18/36 and 3/21 were changed (adjusted for magnetic drift) to 1/19 and 4/22. Maybe somebody has stock in a white paint company.

Don't know if they still do it, the FAA issues a monthly report to all airport showing their individual magnetic change.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #9

If you use a magnetic compass to figure out your initial disk azimuth, you will need to make adjustments ... but a declination chart is usually sufficient as the movement of the poles is rather slow (see Magnetic Declination (Variation) Home ).

An in-motion dish just uses signal strength sampling to correct its aiming so, after it gets set up, it should compensate for all the earth and pole movements, I'd think.

Reports are that Japan moved about 8 feet so far. That is different from an axis shift (See The Earth’s axis has shifted 10 cm - Earth-issues.com | Earth-issues.com) which is different from magnetic pole wandering.

The axis shift thing is kinda' like what you do when you put weights on your wheel to balance its rotation. The weights on the wheel being moved around to change the center of rotation of the wheel (its axis) is like what is happening with Japan moving 8 feet.

If you do plan an RV trip in Japan, keep in mind that the map in your nav system might be off by 8 feet.

It is going to be interesting to see all the 'woe is me' catastrophic FUD mongers for the next few months. I already see the climate catastrophe and nuclear china syndrome (the antipode is probably something like south georgia or the sandwich islands or the abyss off Uruguay for Japan, though) types in full throat.

Meanwhile, prayers for those folks in Northern Japan. what a horror they face.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

........2012...........getting near........
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
"PhysOrg reports somebody has calculated that the shift in the earth's mass distribution will cause the day to be about a microsecond longer than it was before the quakes..."

Will the unions in Wisconsin demand overtime pay for this time period?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm thinking global warming somehow caused this event. Haven't been able to reach Al to find out.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Jack: It's true It's true----Some respond to Japan earthquake by pointing to global warming - Yahoo! News
The president of the European Economic and Social Committee said science proves that Global warming caused the earthquake. Then he got a little fuzzy on the science
And I thought the Politically Corrrect term now was "temporary widespread univeral thawing between ice ages"
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Back when I was flying, I use to hate it when those runways would shift around. Even worse on a windy day. I wish George Bush would quit messing around with the controls.

Help stop the senseless slaughter of baby acrylics in South America. Send a donation to me.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote