Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
The email is legit. I was hacked (they tried to change my ebay email address) and when I got an email that they tried to do that, I called ebay. It is legit and I would HIGHLY recommend you call them and discuss your concerns.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
One should only change passwords from the website directly. Never by following any link in any email. No reputable business be they banks, online auction houses or what have you will ask you to confirm, change or in anyway modify your online accounts via a link in any email. Was not the case here but still the rule applies.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
One should only change passwords from the website directly. Never by following any link in any email. No reputable business be they banks, online auction houses or what have you will ask you to confirm, change or in anyway modify your online accounts via a link in any email. Was not the case here but still the rule applies.
When you try and log on to the eBay web you will be prompted to change your password if you have not changed it since 5/21/2014. When you click on change password you have the choice to receive the details to change your password by email, txt or phone. I choose email and received an email from eBay with a link to change my password. I then received an email from eBay with a link to follow to change my password.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Email from paypal &ebay.........about your account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Again there was NO link in that letter for you to click.
The email didn't require or ask you to log in from it.

It was not a spam letter from eBay. But a real letter from them with info for only you.

With any link in a email. You can put your mouse on the link and see where that link will take you too.
Weren't talking about a "letter"...... just everyday business!
I get email from "so called" ebay & paypal all the time , wanting me to "log in" to do something............junk mail, and if you do log in........
That is all I am trying to say here.......
Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
When you try and log on to the eBay web you will be prompted to change your password if you have not changed it since 5/21/2014. When you click on change password you have the choice to receive the details to change your password by email, txt or phone. I choose email and received an email from eBay with a link to change my password. I then received an email from eBay with a link to follow to change my password.
I stand corrected. What I should have said is you should never receive any "unsolicited" emails from reputable companies asking you to confirm or renew your security credentials. What you describe is a step in response to something you initiate and which is quite valid. The BS emails are always the ones that follow certain trends.

They come out of the blue and
1. Warn you that there is some big danger that something is about to happen if you don't react or that you are some kind of risk.
2. Say you need to confirm your security credentials by clicking said link
3. Failure to do so immediately will cause you to lose something that you don't want to lose (thus creating the time crunch)

They always follow the same trend. They want you to react quickly before you have a chance to think about it or decide to get some independent confirmation.

A plague on all thieves and cheats!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I work for an eBay company & it is true, eBay is/has contacted customers regarding resetting passwords due to their database being compromised. What's been stated in news reports, both on the internet & TV are correct.

That said, whenever you get an unsolicited email from any company asking for log in credentials be verified or changed, even ones you do business with, never click on embedded links. Always verify such requests by going directly to the website yourself or contacting the company by email or phone. Legitimate requests can/will be confirmed by a spokesperson from that company.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote