Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

Edmund Fitzgerald

It's been 38 years now. Yesterday was the day I think.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What a great video, I have never seen that one. Also the song has always been one of my favorites! Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon Lightfoot - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - YouTube

The song by Gordon Lightfoot

Ken
Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

The day I spent in the Navy recruiting office back in 1980, their canned music played that song all day long.....
I was beginning to think it might be an ill omen.
In 1983 during my frigate's Atlantic cruise, we were chasing an 'Ivan' (Russisn submarine) around some sea mounts. We ended up running into a Hurricane. When we were on our side once, I was sure we would end up like that doomed ore freighter. Somehow, the Good Lord righted us and we returned home. I have disliked that song ever since.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for sharing- have you ever been to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum | Edmund Fitzgerald | - Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
The day I spent in the Navy recruiting office back in 1980, their canned music played that song all day long.....
In 1983 during my frigate's Atlantic cruise, we were chasing an 'Ivan' (Russisn submarine) around some sea mounts. We ended up running into a Hurricane. When we were on our side once, I was sure we would end up like that doomed ore freighter. Somehow, the Good Lord righted us and we returned home. I have disliked that song ever since.
That's quite the story. I like it. Got any more?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
thanks for sharing- have you ever been to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum | Edmund Fitzgerald | - Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society

No, But I would like to make it there someday.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife was working for Guthry-Hubner shipping agents in Duluth the day it happened. They were not the agents for it though. She woke up to the news on the radio, said she just went numb.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
No, But I would like to make it there someday.

The Mather is docked near the Rock Hall of Fame and the Science center to.
Steamship William G. Mather Museum
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
That's quite the story. I like it. Got any more?

Let's just say when I was jostled awake that night in the Radar Room, and I noticed I was STANDING on the water tight door going into the office next door, I knew something was drastically wrong! When the ship began righting itself I did a quick "Fred Astaire" number, stepping from the bulkhead back to the floor! Scariest day of my life!
On this class of ship, at that angle, things should have been falling off (gun mount, radar antennas, mack (combined mast/stack structure) to reduce topweight. They did not. Some ships just aren't fated to die. My little ship was sold later to Turkey, serving their Navy well, and now resides as a display ship at the Turkish Incirlik Sea Museum.

A couple weeks ago, National Geographic had a program on about the theoretical draining of the Great Lakes. They had an amazing CGI video of the Edmund Fitzgerald laying on the bottom, in two major pieces - she broke in half. The aft section was inverted, the forward half sitting upright. Very eerie.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I live near Rogers City, MI and there is a HUGE Limestone Quarry there. Ore carriers comin' and goin' all the time. I had and have friends and people I know sail on the lakers and when the Fitzgerald went down we all waited for the bad news of what other ships were lost. Our thinking was. If she went down the smaller boats don't stand a chance. As it turns out it probably was her large size that sent her to the bottom.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed, in the "Maritime Sailors' Cathedral." The church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I was stationed at Selfridge ANGB up by Mt Clemens, MI and was downtown Detroit to go to an event at Cobo Hall with some friends. While walking along the area of the river walk we heard what we thought were church bells ringing on a Tuesday. They rang for a long time. What we didn't connect at the time was that this was from the Maritime Sailor's Cathedral and was the tolling of the bells for the Fitzgerald.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
OMG Lee, that sounds scary as hell....glad you made it back
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #14

I chalk it up to a combination of blind luck, the Good Lord helping us, and the robust construction of Navy ships.
Commercial ships are likely built to differing standards, depending on use and where they are licensed. I'd like to see the plans of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and see if she had any obvious weakesses. With her size and length, if her bow and stern were lifted on wavecrests, with her middle unsupported, she would likely have broached and broke in half. Seeing the wreckage makes me believe this may well have happened. Oil tankers run this risk too, with their extreme length.
I saw the US Coast Guard Cutter Bear once, after she'd been through a major tropical storm. As per standard procedure, she faced into the oncoming waves. She was engulfed by a huge wave, and the entire ship literally was underwater as she plowed through it! All stanchions and rails were wiped off the deck, her forward gun mount lost it's fibreglass cover (armoured guns are long gone), and her superstructure forward was actually set back several inches! I'll bet there were many soiled pants during that event!
But that little ship, comparable in size to my frigate, made it back.