Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all of the great stories.

Its called "Paying It Forward".

If everyone "paid if forward" only once or twice in their lifetime the world would be a much better place to live.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello All,

It is amazing how when so much of our news is negative that when people want to they can find the positive side.

My Mom who helped that college student? Well, when we were little Dad was really sick. Remember how they used to deliver bottles of milk? When the milkman came, Mom told him she could not afford to pay for the milk so he shouldn't leave any.

He said, "Mrs East, you need milk for those babies and you just pay me when you can." He delivered 2 bottles of milk a week for 6 months with no pay. When Dad got better and got back to work, Mom started paying for the milk and a little extra until they caught up of what they owed.

That milkman did not have to do that. I often have wondered if someone had helped him when he needed help and he was paying it forward to us. Mom and Dad paid it forward too.

Have an absolutely wonderful day and keep warm everyone. Lynne

Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
Many, many years ago, being a single parent, and having fallen on some bad times, I was out of work, out of money, and out of ideas.

I would stop at a "Sambo's" restaurant with my Daughter because they had a $1.00 kid's menu. I always managed to have enough money to buy her a meal and me a cup of coffee. And, I was always checking the help wanted ads in the newspaper.

Funny thing. The waitress was always screwing up the order. Serving way too much food for Shannon to eat, or maybe, taking too long to serve her meal. Turns out I had to take the left overs home in a "to go" box.

It took me awhile to realize the manager was deliberately making mistakes that resulted in me taking extra food home. I suppose that I would have somehow survived without his kindness, but he did make a very difficult time a bit easier.

Years later, I run across him at a race track. I recognized his car. We talked a long, long time. I confessed that I didn't have the words to express my gratitude for his kindness. He tried to brush it off by telling me how much he enjoyed seeing Shannon come through the door, all smiles and giggles, and he did what he did to keep her (and me) coming back.

We became good friends, and even though I did manage to do a few favors for him, I could never repay the kindness he showed when things were a bit sticky for Shannon and me.

Ken Gasbarri
Be Of Good Cheer!!!
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great story Ken,

When someone does something wonderful for you you tend to have a change in your heart that makes you look at things differently. I think this thread will bring about many of those changes. I love a good story even if it makes me cry.

Keep it between the ditches! Lynne
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #19
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Broken Bicycle

Many years ago, I was living in an apartment in a 3 family building. I was in the second floor. The family in the 3rd floor was very dysfunctional. Both parents were alcoholics while they raised two teenage kids. Screaming fights were a recurring nightly event in that apartment.

One day, I hear a commotion outside on the street. I look out the window and the two teenage kids from the 3rd floor are bullying this other teenage kid. A kid and his bike. I think the apartment kids were trying to take his bike. A few minutes into the screaming and taunting, one of the troubled kids throws a rock, hitting the rear wheel of the bike, damaging it. At that point, I went out and confronted them.

I then walked the kid and his bike to a bike shop a few blocks away. I told the techs there to go ahead and fix whatever needed repairing. I then paid for the work. The kid was very surprised and amazed that anyone would do that for him. And just like with the story from the OP, I told the kid: "when you get older, if you can do something nice for someone else, do it".

All my life I had very fond memories of my father doing a good deed for a family in need when I was a kid. That experience had always been dear to me. It is one of the best memories that I have of my Dad. I'm glad my Dad taught me well. It has helped my Karma in life.

I also have another personal experience that is sort of an alternate version of this kind of life situation. A few decades ago, I had a small Wholesale Business. Candles, incense sticks, colognes, etc. Items for Mom-and-Pop stores in inner cities. I had a fulltime job, but I wanted to do this wholesale business on weekends to learn about running a business. Sales, Inventory Control, Cash Flow, etc. One Saturday, I'm with my Ford E250 Van in a pretty rough neighborhood of Philadelphia. I would open the van, put 4 cases of the candles on my hand cart, close the van and take the candles to my customers. I would return, get more products and repeat. During one of my trips back to the Van, I see a young kid, not older than 12 years old, spray painting some gang letters on my clean white van. I was so upset. I approached the kid and grabbed him by the arm. I remember how scared he looked when he realized he had been caught red handed.

I just looked at him and said: "I'm not going to hurt you. But, I just want you to remember what I'm going to tell you. I hope that one day, when you're old like me, someone does the same thing to your favorite and shiny future car" ... and I let go of him. I hoped that as he ran away he would one day view my response as a positive learning experience.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Here's mine.

Years ago I had driven from North Texas to Central Florida to pick up some racing chassis parts from a builder.

When I got there they had the frame parts all wrapped and ready to load on my big trailer. Just happened to have taken my big car hauler, even though the parts would not have filled it up. (Never know when I'm going to come across a deal of a lifetime, so I left the little trailer home.)

As I was leaving there was a Young Man looking at his old VW Baja Bug with a DOD sticker on the windshield in the parking lot. He had a bent brake drum on the car and was worried it wouldn't make the Trip to Fort Hood near Kerrville TX. This was a Friday afternoon and he had to report to the Base on Sunday night. My dad was retired Air Force, so I understood the importance of him being there on time.

I suggested that if he wanted to help me we could load one of my lightweight racing chassis pieces to the roof rack of my truck and the other on top of his luggage rack of his Bug. Then we would have room for the bug on my trailer. And I would take him to South Fort Worth where he could nurse his Car to his Base. It took some doing, but we got it all on and tied down. Then we tossed his duffle bag in the back seat of my truck. After a big Dinner at a local restaurant outside of Tampa, that he paid for, we headed for Texas.

We drove straight through and as we traveled, we swapped out taking turns with the driving duties so we could make good time. Remember, our plan was to drop him off 150 miles from Ft Hood early Sunday. As we got near to the Texas Border I was playing on my laptops mapping program and noticed I could make Fort Hood with a small detour just about as easy as I could head home. I kept driving and took a detour as he slept until I was almost to Kerrville. When he woke up good he realized where we were and kept saying you didn't need to do that.

So I told him about my Brother who was a Marine, and about the time when he came home from Vietnam in 1970, a nice young couple gave him a ride from San Diego to my parents home in Hurst Texas.

I said I was just returning the favor of paying it forward. We said goodbye, after we rolled his bug off outside the Post Gate, and some weeks later, in passing, I was telling my brother about what I had done. And I mentioned the young Soldiers name.

Funny thing, my Brother told me the Young Soldiers last name was the same as the Nice Couple that he had gotten a ride with 20 years earlier.

Coincidence. I don't know!
1990 Fleetwood Limited Edition, Converted to Diesel. Pulling my toy box, a 93 Isuzu Rodeo 4X4.
Life is for the Adventure not the problems!
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it was coincidence you would never have heard of it. We are meant to hear these things because we need to know that it was paid back as proof that good things produce good things.
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #22
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I joined the Air Force in 1966 my first duty station was McGuire AFB, NJ. Being an 18 year old country boy from Oklahoma I had not been too far off the farm. I flew from Oklahoma City, OK to Newark, NJ on my first commercial flight. Upon arrival at the airport I had no idea of how to get to McGuire AFB. When I found my way out of the terminal at Newark I asked a taxi driver and he took pity on me and drove me to the YMCA at Trenton. It was after midnight and he didn't want the hassle with the Security Police to get me on base. I don't know what the normal fare was but he charged me $17 and I'm pretty sure that was a good price even for 1966.

The next day I found the USO in Trenton and was asking how to get to the base. An Army sergeant offered me a ride and wouldn't accept any pay.

Since then when I have been at an airport I make it a point to check the USO aid station to ask if anybody needs a free ride in the direction I am going.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote