Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Elderly Lady Stranded On The Side Of The Road

One day a man saw a old lady, stranded on the side of the road even in the dim light of the day, he could see she needed help. So he pulled up in front of her Mercedes and got out. His Pinto was still sputtering when he approached her.

Even with the smile on her face, she was still worried. No had stopped to help her in the last hour or so. Was he going to hurt her? He didn't look safe, he looked poor and hungry.

He could see she was frightened, standing out there in the cold. He knew how she felt. It was that chill which only fear can put into you.

He said I'm here to help you ma'am. Why don't you wait in the car where it's warm? By the way, my name is Bryan Anderson.

Well all she had, was a flat tire.

But for a old lady, that was bad enough. Bryan crawled under the car looking for a place to put the jack. Skinning his knuckles a time or two. Soon he was able to change the tire. But he had to get dirty and his hands hurt.

As he was tightening the lug nuts she rolled down the window and began to talk to him. She told him she was from St Louis and was only passing through. She couldn't thank him enough for coming to her aid.

Bryan just smiled as he closed the trunk. The lady asked him how much she owed him. Any amount would been alright with her. She already imagined all the awful things that could have happened had he not stopped.

Bryan never thought twice about being paid.

This was not a job to him. This was helping someone in need, and God knows there was plenty, that had given a hand in the past. He had lived. His whole life that way, and it never occurred to act in any other way.

He told her if she really wanted to pay him back, the next time you saw someone that needed help, she could give that person the assistance they needed, and Bryan added "think of me".

He waited until she started the car and drove off. It had been a cold and depressing day, but he felt good as he headed home, disappearing into the twilight.

A few miles down the road the lady saw a small cafe. She went in to grab a bite to eat and to take the chill off before she made the last leg of her trip home. It was dingy looking restaurant. Outside there were two old gas pumps. The whole scene was unfamiliar to her. The waitress came over and brought her a clean towel to wipe her wet hair. She had a sweet smile, one that being on her feet all day couldn't erase. The lady noticed she was about eight months pregnant, but she never let the strain and aches change her attitude. The old lady wondered how someone who had so little could be so giving to a stranger. Then she remembered Bryan.

After the lady finished her meal, she paid with a hundred dollar bill. The waitress quickly went to get change for the hundred dollar bill, but the old lady had slipped out the. Door..........she was gone by the time the waitress got back. The waitress wondered where the lady could be. Then she noticed something written on the napkin.

There was tears in her eyes as she read what the lady had wrote. You don't owe me anything I have there too. Somebody once helped me out, the way I'm helping you. If you really want to pay me back,here is what you do. Do not let this chain of love end with you.

Under the napkin was four more $100 bills.

Well, there tables to clear, sugar bowls to fill and customers to serve, but the waitress made it through another day. That night when she got home and crawled into bed, she was thinking about what the lady had written. How could have known how much she and her husband needed the money? With the baby due next month, it was going to be hard........

She knew how worried her husband was, as he lay next to her, she gave him a soft kiss and whispered. Soft and low, everything is going to be alright BRYAN ANDERSON.........

There is a old saying.........what goes around comes around...........

Today I sent you this story and I'm asking you to pass it on......Let This Light Shine........

Good friends are like stars ....you don't always see them, but you know they are always there........

SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Years ago my Mom worked as a cook at a college. While cleaning the food line between meals she heard a young woman (student) saying she did not have enough money to pay for both food and pay her heating bill. She did not know what she was going to do.

It was payday and Mom went and got her check, signed it and went and gave it to that student saying "Pay both your heating bill and get your babies something to eat."

Almost 20 years later my Mom had fallen off a ladder. I was in college and could not clean for her so I had her call a cleaning company and I said I would pay for it. She called the company and they sent out a lady the next day. The woman did an amazing job. My Mom was fussy about her cleaning and cooking and kindness.

At the end of the week she asked the woman how much she owed her. The lady said "You don't remember me do you?" Mom didn't. It was that student Mom gave her check to. That student had asked God when Mom gave her that check to give her the opportunity to pay Mom back one day.

When the order to clean my Mom's house came across her desk she took the job herself so she could thank Mom. When Mom gave her that check it gave the student a boost enough to get her and her 2 children through that winter. She never forgot Mom.

She refused to take any money from either of us. She cleaned Mom's house for 3 months twice a week. She did herself even though she owned the company and had not done cleaning herself in over 10 years. She brought lunch each day and her and Mom ate together.

It was a beautiful thing that my Mom did and a beautiful thing this woman did. Just another good story and I bet there are plenty out there that will be added.

Thanks for you story, Lynne

Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I really loved the stories. I have nothing to offer other than that.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
isn't there a song like this out there. Jim
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
isn't there a song like this out there. Jim
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not nearly as impressive but something like that happened to me once.

When I was in college I noticed the student parked in front of me left his lights on.. I left a note on his window with my class schedule and a promise of a jump start.. He was waiting when I got out of class and I "Jumped" his car.

Some time later my car was in the shop, ready to go but I needed a ride.. Guess who picked me up.. Yup, same student.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ya'all,

Now a story about my Daddy.

When I was still young and living at home, Mom and Dad took us on one of many vacations Loaded up four of us kids in t station wagon an headed out. While driving Dad saw a solder hitching. He was in uniform and carrying bag over his shoulder.

Mom said, "Oh Harry, stop an pick him up." Dad pulled over and picked him up. Dad asked him where he had been and he had been overseas for two years. His parents did not know he was coming home. His path went along ours so far and then veered off for 150 miles to his home.

The soldier fell asleep. Dad and Mom gave each other (the look) and Dad took his turn off. We woke him when we turned into his drive. It was a farm. Mom sitting on the porch doing beans Dad coming out of barn. Didn't recognize our car when we pulled up but sure recognized their son when he sleepily got out of the back of the car.

His Mom screeched and started running to him and the Dad took off with a huge smile on his face an tears in his eyes Dad got out and got he soldiers bag. We drove off with them still hugging. Dad didn't wait for a thank you, cause their faces were thank you enough.

Come on, I know there are many of you out there who have a good story.

Lynne God really blessed me with my parents
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
I have helped a number of people over the years. I do it because that's what my dad would have done and how I was taught to do. I've changed tires, pulled folks out of he snow and from ditches. Never took a dime for any of it. Thanks was enough, and smiles for the help when I pulled away was always fine. I'm near 70 now and still do snow blowing for all those on my street. One day I may need a hand and I'm sure I will be helped by someone like myself. I never worry.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
This is a great thread and really makes you appreciate the things in life that matters the most and that's PEOPLE. Just imagine what are world would look like if everyone treated others in need like this. That's how I was raised too, always help others in need and ask for nothing, just thank God for being blessed to not be the one in need.

One story that always comes to mind for me around this time of year. I was working the Gang Unit in our PD and gang crimes were at an all time high in our City. I arrested alot of kids at school with guns/knives ect. One of the High School teachers was having problems with her daughter who was an 18 year old senior and knew everything, and asked me to talk to her.She had been dating a known Gang member who had been in/out of jail. She told her mom all she wanted to do was get pregnant by him and get out of her house.

I met with the girl and her Mom, and of course I knew nothing and she cussed me terribly when I spoke of her life to be with this guy. After she settled down, I asked her to just go on one ride along with me and then we would leave all the decision making to her, afterall she was 18. This kind of scared the Mom but she followed my lead.

She agreed to go and I took her and Mom out on a Friday night. That particular night we had two gang related homicides, as well as a gang member's girlfriend getting shot when they were trying to shoot her gangmember boyfreind. And guess what, he was in the wind and could care less about his girlfriend. The night soon ended and she thanked me, gave me a hug and told me I gave her something to think about. Several weeks had passed and the Mother got ahold of me and said her daughter was doing much better and actually talking about going to college.

Several years passed, and I had been promoted to Sergeant. It was just before Christmas which is always a hard time when you are in Law Enforcement. We were having a really bad week with everything going on, and on Christmas Eve I got a letter from out of State, and from a return address I did not recognize. I open it up and it was a letter and photo from the girl. She was now a Police Officer,married, and had two young kids.The photo was of her in uniform, and the letter was thanking me for taking the time to talk to her and take her on a ride along even after she was so rude. She told me that even though I wasn't a relative she felt that I had somehow "saved" her life and she wanted to "pay me" back so she became a Police Officer, and wants to help people as I did her. I guess you might have to be a Cop to understand, I had tears in my eyes reading the letter and that was a great Christmas present for me to see that I had actually made a difference, and they found a rewarding way to pay it forward.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
My story is not exactly the same, but sort of. Years ago when I was a very small girl my Dad was working out of town. He had the car so my Mom and us kids walked to a little church down a dirt road from our house. Not our regular church, but Mom didn't want to miss a Sunday. At the church she put her last dollar in the offering plate, and was worried about not having any money until Dad got home later in the week. On the way home she found a silver dollar in the road. It just shows HE knows.
Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Mike and Cha....I understand the tears, you had my old eyes a bit damp reading how it all worked out. Life is good, all you need do is spread out a little help now and then.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
About 49 years ago I dropped the wife off at the pharmacy where she worked so she could pick up her paycheck. I planned on making "a loop" around the mall parking lot and then picking her up. Pouring rain!! Came upon a car on the outskirt of the mall parking lot that had a flat tire. I got out, walked up to the car and asked the lady if she needed help. Kind of a tough neighborhood so she only opened the window about an inch. (maybe it was me--looking a bit grungy). I asked her for the key to the trunk, changed the tire (still pouring rain!!) and returned the key to her. She tried to give me $5 and I told her NO!! But, I replied, if you ever see that 1957 Chevrolet convertible broken down along a road, please stop.

Two years later my pregnant wife and our '57 quit along a road. The lady went by with her husband. She told him to stop, go back, that they must help that person out. Then she told him & my wife what happened, how I was sopping wet and wouldn't take anything.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
My dad would never pass a soldier hitchhiker no matter how crowded we was in the car we always made room for him
halftimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone. It fells like Christmas all over again.

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote