RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Electrical help

Looking for some help from our resident electricians.

I am hosting an evening soiree (French for hoe-down) in our backyard. Need some electricity for lights and such, and thinking about the 50 amp outlet I have on side of utility shed. Will this work?

Purchase a 30 ft replacement 50 amp cord (male plug on one end, bare wires on other). Place junction box on bare end. Attach a short length of 10 or 12 gauge wire to the black, white, and green wires. Connect a 20 amp outlet to other end of this pigtail. Connect another pigtail to the red, white, and green wires in the junction box, to another outlet. So two 120v/20 amp outlets powered by the 50 amp cord.

Isn't this essentially what the CB panel inside the MH does? Leg 1 and Leg 2?

Since the neutral and ground wires are common to both outlets, will this result in a dangerous situation?
Should the pigtails be of heavier gauge?
Regular outlets or GFI's?

When the party is over, I can put a replacement female 50 amp plug on the cord, and have a 50 amp extension cord.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #2

It will work as you described. BUT you must attach the #6 wire to a 20 amp breaker. Use GFI's

Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for reminding me to protect the branch circuits with appropriate CB's, Cavie. Just thinking (that usually gets me in trouble), to minimize the number of connections, can I temporarily swap the 50 A double pole breaker that is now in the panel, for a 20 A double pole breaker?
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

That sounds like a great way to cure the big breaker/light gauge wire issue.

Pop a double 20 amp breaker and place of the 50 amp and your safe from short circuits overloading the wires.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
tcg

Couldn't you just use one of these?

Conntek Y1450520S NEMA 14-50 50-Amp 125/250-volt RV/Generator Y-Adapter Plug to U.S. 15/20-Amp Female Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHGXYRC..._YS9ODb13ZNA5D
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Couldn't you just use one of these?

Conntek Y1450520S NEMA 14-50 50-Amp 125/250-volt RV/Generator Y-Adapter Plug to U.S. 15/20-Amp Female Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHGXYRC..._YS9ODb13ZNA5D
This is the reason as an electrician I think dog bones need to be outlawed. If he uses that and plugs in a 20 amp appliance it will be fused at 50 amps. Not very smart!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
This is the reason as an electrician I think dog bones need to be outlawed. If he uses that and plugs in a 20 amp appliance it will be fused at 50 amps. Not very smart!

He could still change the 50amp breaker for a 20amp. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Then get a gfci power strip with a 15a or 20a breaker. The whole thing would come in under a hundred bucks

I would think, unless the OP is an electrician, using a solution that doesn't require building an electrical box would be safer.

I know I wouldn't want to fool with building a 50amp box.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #9

Maybe you can rent a " Spider Box " from a local rental place.

It does exactly what you want to do.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-14-07-58-40.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	263533
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #10

I haven't checked, but #6 into a 20 amp breaker might not fit.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
I haven't checked, but #6 into a 20 amp breaker might not fit.

It won't. Most 20 amp breakers accept wire sizes up to #10.

For those not familiar: the AWG (American Wire Gauge) numbers get bigger as the wire gets smaller, i.e. #10 is smaller than #4. When you get to Really Big Wires, things change but that's beyond this discussion.

I like the spider box idea - it ticks all the boxes for overcurrent protection (circuit breakers) and ground fault protection. The rental yard probably has cables made up to plug into your 14-50 outlet.

Of all these ideas I most dislike the homeowner changing out his 50 amp, 2 pole breaker for a 20 amp 2 pole breaker. I'd rather have an electrician build a break out box with the appropriate fuses or breakers than have a home owner swapping breakers in his home's hot (energized) panel.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So many great ideas. Thanks, all, for the inputs.
I had not run across the y-cord in my internet search. That will suffice, and Amazon promises it will be here by Friday.
The spider box would be better, but all the ones I found online and at Sun Rental, use a twist lock input connection. No one had a clue how to adapt to a 4 blade connection.
I have a couple power strips with 15 or 20 amp fuses, so I think I'm good to go. As it turns out, food heating is by Sterno, lighting is a few strings of Christmas tree lights, and the DJ claims he's never started a fire. Oh, and the bouncy house.
My electrician was happy to build a breakout box, but time was an issue. He relayed to me the general idea I posted above. You filled in the details.
When you live in a 110 year old house, you have to become a junior electrician, plumber, plasterer, window glazer, and finish carpenter. All of which I have been in just the past month. Butcha got to know your limitations, thus I have Pro's on my speed dial. And of course, this website, from which I have learned so much.

Thanks again, folks.
BTW, if I'm lucky, I get to spend 60 days a year in my MH. And that's up from what I could before I "retired".

Tags
electric, electrical