Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
electronically connected

Laptops, i-phones, i-pads etc. Which have your found to be the best for you to stay connected on the road and which service seems to work better? Thanks for your input

ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
We use our laptops... Can't count on wifi service at CG's ....Bought and use ATT MiFi

Peace and Safe Travels .... D

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
We use laptops, smart phones and tablets. We have Verizon MiFi and smart phones, Sprint phones with hot spots, and ATT tablets. We also use a Wilson cell antenna and booster for low signal areas. West of the Mississippi, we have found Verizon to have the best coverage and service, both voice and data. East of the river, Sprint seems to have a slight data edge where we have traveled with voice equal with Verizon and Sprint. ATT, for us, is pretty much useless once we leave the immediate area of cities. You will still find some areas with no cell coverage and carrier performance will vary depending on where you are. We have even found a few campgrounds where the WiFi was the best choice.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bout the same with us, have our laptop and cellphone (dumb phone), Verizon wireless for both. Never missed anything except in Yellowstone, nothing worked there.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Hi All, We have noticed that it has been getting more difficult to hook up with Wifi. We have the Verizon MiFi Hotspot we bought it with a small HP Computer from Verizon a couple of years ago to connect where free Wifi would not work. Worked fine although our usage was limited by the 250 MB in our plan we were able to get Free Wifi in many places. This past Fall we have noticed more secure locations I suppose that many former locations have been warned about dangers with open Wifi so now have only Secure.
We are now about to get a 4 0r 8 gig plan and a Tablet to use as a Hotspot. We hope this will work. The Computer with Internet access has become very important for us.
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We use Android, laptops, a Verizon air card and a Cradlepoint wireless router.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
We are now about to get a 4 0r 8 gig plan and a Tablet to use as a Hotspot. We hope this will work. The Computer with Internet access has become very important for us.
We purchased a 4G LTE Xoom tablet and 2 GB/month data plan from Verizon and it works great. Since we use our motorhome for short trips once or twice a month and vacations (not fulltimers) it was a cost effective answer for us. (The 2-year data plan is $30/month.) We do not have smartphones with data and are not interested in getting them.

The Xoom tablet is android based and has a hotspot, so we can connect with our laptops, iPad, etc. So far I am very pleased with this solution.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Laptop with tethered Verizon cell phone most of the time.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
I use Starband Internet By Satellite so now I have internet wherever I am. Tried the internet by phone bit and got tired of playing the reception game.

USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Sprint ers

Seems the system of choice is Verizon but...We are Sprint and have never been without service or WiFi. We travel with a Asus Desktop and Dell Lap top and two Ipad2's. With Delorme GPS we're never lost and if we are I am too ashamed to ask and don't really care.

Don and Nancy
2011 Allegro Red
2012 Equinox
one small Yorkie
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using Verizon with Android, PDAnet App to tether to laptop. DW just got a Kindle, now I'll have figure out a wireless setup.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use C-Spire Mi-Fi. We have the 3GB plan at $29.95 per month. Works well for us right now.
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Ed-Sommers - Can you give me any more information on the internet connection you use and why you chose it? Been trying to find out some more info on other connections than mi-fi since with most you are only allowed so much for data usage, usually 5gb. I know we use about that with just the cell phones and I am not even on mine that much right now, so adding in the laptops, kindle and whatever else we get we would use up the amount your allowed for most mi-fi in the first week or so.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
We use the Verizon mifi. 2 laptops, kindle, and wireless printer all connected. We don't come close to using 5 mg unless we update the GPS. It took 3 mg all on it's own last time. I'm thinking we'll find a hot spot to update next time.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote