Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
And they have a good way to finance it:
Payment Options: This is the Coupe de Gras. Along with the traditional methods of paying for vehicles, we wanted to add something else unique; a credit card payment plan. It will allow you to drive off with your new Elio with no money down. You simply sign an agreement to use the Elio credit card for all of your gas purchases. We, in turn, charge your credit card three times the amount of the fuel (most likely less than what you were paying for fuel on your existing vehicle). The simplicity is the difference. Two-thirds of the bill is your car payment the remaining third of the bill is the original fuel cost.
Letís give an example: You put $50 worth of fuel in your new Elio. Your credit card will be billed for three times the amount, or $150 due in full. The breakdown is simple; two-thirds ($100) is the Elio payment, one-third ($50) is the fuel. Details on minimums and the like are being worked out with several banking institutions, but the reality is simple. Drive off with a new Elio for no money down and pay for it with the massive fuel savings you have over your existing vehicle!
Wouldn't that be the "Coupe de Gas"

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmmm. What was it P.T. Barnum said?.........

Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #45

We drove smart cars in UK for few years before moving to USA , really loved them , easy around town and yes highways were not their forte but all round a great car
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
We drove smart cars in UK for few years before moving to USA , really loved them , easy around town and yes highways were not their forte but all round a great car
I think where the Elio excels and that Smart car may not is that the Elio has a similar size compared to a full size sedan. The front wheel track is the same width as a Ford Taurus. The wheel base is longer than a Honda Accord and the side profile of the vehicle looks like a full size car. The only major difference is that the body is half as wide. It even has similar ride height and over height compared to many other cars currently on the market. Couple the reduced drag coefficient of a narrow vehicle and the small fuel efficient engine and you have a very comfortable fuel efficient vehicle.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hope they are successful, if you don't want one or think its stupid, then by all means don't buy one. There are some people that wouldn't pay anywhere near 500,000 dollars for a motorhome and believe those that do are wasting money, others that think its perfectly ok and do it without hesitation. To each his own.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My daughter talked to a friend of hers that actually drove one and he said it handled nice. He knows the VP of the company and he said they are supposed to go into production at the end of this month.

As he understands it they will be towable.

They will have some at the Capital building in Phoenix next month to display.

This is all second hand information so I take it with a grain of salt about production and towing. Time will tell.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:15 AM   #49

A smart car comes standard with 8 air bags , self tension seat belts and a steel cage .
The problem in any collision is the sudden deceleration on internal organs , 70mph to 0mph in one second , like a concrete wall or 18 wheeler creates such massive internal damage it's game over regardless of the vehicle around you .
Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #50

I should add that I have no affiliation to smart cars , I just did quite a bit of research before I let my family drive them .
Old 02-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #51

Check out the VW XL1 ,256 mpg .It is not for this country yet due to safety regulations but should in the future. Can't imagine going 1000 miles on 4 gallons. It's diesel electric.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Check out the VW XL1 ,256 mpg .It is not for this country yet due to safety regulations but should in the future. Can't imagine going 1000 miles on 4 gallons. It's diesel electric.
Unlike the Elio I believe the VW is financially out of reach for most people. If I had an extra $146,000, fuel economy would not be much of a concern. Elio is a projected 86mpg with a $6,800 price tag. Now that speaks to me. You could buy twenty one Elio's for that price or one Elio and an affordable house. How many American jobs does the VW create?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
How many American jobs does the VW create?
VW has quite a few US employees.

More than 3,200 Volkswagen US employees
More than 9,500 indirect supplier US employees
Financials:
$1 Billion investment in US
$379 Million local and Tennessean construction contracts awarded
$307 Million local and Tennessean car supply contracts awarded annually
Economic Effects:
$12 Billion expected in income growth in Tennessee
$1.4 Billion expected in total tax revenues in Tennessee

Not including the 617 U.S. dealerships...
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
VW has quite a few US employees. More than 3,200 Volkswagen US employees More than 9,500 indirect supplier US employees Financials: $1 Billion investment in US $379 Million local and Tennessean construction contracts awarded $307 Million local and Tennessean car supply contracts awarded annually Economic Effects: $12 Billion expected in income growth in Tennessee $1.4 Billion expected in total tax revenues in Tennessee Not including the 617 U.S. dealerships...
Definitely far more than I would have guessed.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like it will be 2015 before production starts.

Elio Motors is taking the next big step toward the production of its 84-mpg (2.8 L/100km) tandem three-wheeler. It won't quite make its original Summer 2014 start, but it plans to get Elios rolling off the lines next year at the former General Motors Shreveport Assembly and Stamping Plant in Louisiana.

Elio projects that it will create 1,500 new jobs in the Shreveport area, beginning its hiring push later this year and completing it by late 2015. It plans to start vehicle production in the first quarter of 2015.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
VW has quite a few US employees. More than 3,200 Volkswagen US employees More than 9,500 indirect supplier US employees Financials: $1 Billion investment in US $379 Million local and Tennessean construction contracts awarded $307 Million local and Tennessean car supply contracts awarded annually Economic Effects: $12 Billion expected in income growth in Tennessee $1.4 Billion expected in total tax revenues in Tennessee Not including the 617 U.S. dealerships...
It is worth noting that Elio will have roughly 1,500 direct jobs at it's manufacturing plant in Shreveport, LA. That number will grow dramatically as it's dealer network starts to grow. They will also have 20,000 indirect jobs created because of increased demand throughout the parts supply chain. The greater success here is that an American engineer came up with a great idea for a ground breaking product. Rather than conform to a ideology that dictates we must outsource to the cheapest labor force; he instead has insisted that we create jobs here in our country to build this product. He also has a mission to build it with at least 90% American made parts; which is a challenge in it's self. Then to have this product get thee times the highway mileage of the average car on the road and have it available for a quarter of the price of the average car sold in America. Nothing short of amazing! I currently drive a two seat Mazda Miata as my commuter car. I get about 27.5mpg. I can purchase this car and the savings on fuel in my actual scenario will literally pay for the car, the increase in insurance cost an I will still have about $40-$60 a month still left over. I have been pondering the purchase of a more fuel efficient vehicle for a couple of years. Nothing on the market can pay for itself! That is astounding!