Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs down a joke of a car

Let's talk money here. If it sells for $6,800 with a profit of $1,000 then you must manufacture it for $5,800 including any profit for the factory. You can't even buy a 800 CC Japanese motorcycle for that amount of money, not to mention the extra wheel, drive train, and "body" for this car. Do some research on this company, they have located in Chicago and other areas trying to get seed money for this, when in fact, it is all a scam to get money from investors. Do the math, it ain't possible to do this. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I live in Louisiana, this is not going to happen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #58
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mansfield is close to Shreveport...right? Do you ever get up that way to see if the plant is being prepped in any way as advertised?

If it is true that the Elio is just hype - that's sad. There's just too much fraud and too many rip-off artists in our world now. I was really hoping this one might be reality.

The average car in America is just too boring (Prius, Corolla, Focus) or too expensive for a little car beauty (Camero, Mustang, Challenger).

Time will tell.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
What website? Where on their website? I'll paste what I've found on the Elio Motors website about two minute ago.

"This is a very green vehicle – and we’re not just talking about the color. Yes, it gets 84 MPG on the highway, but you’ll be doing your share of city driving, too. Fear not, with its city rate of 49 MPG, you’ll be consuming only 1/3 of what the average American vehicle consumes."
Is part of this post in some sort of secret code ? Jim
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Guys,
I have been following this from day one and even though it looks interesting I am holding out to see what happens.My brother worked at FORD motor co.in Atlanta for 40 years and he said never buy the first model of anything and look and try figure out what day it was built and if it was assembled on Monday or Friday try and not purchase that one.Good Luck to all.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #61

At 6800 bucks, I expect post production costs to more than equal that.

Proof needs pudding. Lots of pudding.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Mansfield is close to Shreveport...right? Do you ever get up that way to see if the plant is being prepped in any way as advertised?

If it is true that the Elio is just hype - that's sad. There's just too much fraud and too many rip-off artists in our world now. I was really hoping this one might be reality.

The average car in America is just too boring (Prius, Corolla, Focus) or too expensive for a little car beauty (Camero, Mustang, Challenger).

Time will tell.
Plant is sitting there as empty as the day GM left it. Whole thing is a hoax to get investment money from the state. No car will ever be made by them. Standard business practice in Louisiana.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
Let's talk money here. If it sells for $6,800 with a profit of $1,000 then you must manufacture it for $5,800 including any profit for the factory. You can't even buy a 800 CC Japanese motorcycle for that amount of money, not to mention the extra wheel, drive train, and "body" for this car. Do some research on this company, they have located in Chicago and other areas trying to get seed money for this, when in fact, it is all a scam to get money from investors. Do the math, it ain't possible to do this. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I live in Louisiana, this is not going to happen.
Most Japanese motorcycles have been on the market for decades and have a loyal customer base that perpetuates business for them. Elio is an up and coming product that needs to prove itself which explains the low offering price. I also think that the $6,800 dollar price tag is unrealistic. I would absolutely expect a big increase in price after the first production year is over, but even at $9,000-$10,000 the savings on fuel still allows the vehicle to pay for itself. Elio is producing a ground breaking product that is entirely new (autocycle); that in itself is amazing. If this is a scam; why would they put so much effort into changing legislation nation wide on helmet and licensing laws to accommodate their vehicle specifically? They could have easily duped naive investors out of lots of money without the effort of changing legislation in every state in the nation. They have also secured a manufacturing plant and have inked a deal for the robotics to be retooled and new robotics to be installed with Comau. Not to mention their bi-monthly meetings with all their supply partners. Like a said a lot of unnecessary work for a scam. It is an investment and most investments don't have an immediate ROI. Most investors did not trust their money with this company expecting an quick ROI. This is a long term investment that will pay massive divides when it takes off. GM is investing $200 million into R&D on a new fuel efficient 3 cylinder engine. How long do you think it we be before investors see a ROI there? That engine probably won't even be in production for two to three years let alone generating a revenue that recoups the cost of the R&D. Is Elio a scam? Absolutely not. Will they fail? Possibly. Am I willing to drink the proverbial Cool-Aid? Why not; I'm all in for $100, if they succeed I get a revolutionary vehicle. If they fail, I wasted less money than millions of people throw away every day on worthless habits like drinking, smoking, gambling, etc, etc. Just my opinion from the other side of the subject. I appreciate your view. I just happen to disagree.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #64

Delorean Revisited ??
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Delorean Revisited ??
That would be cool too. At least I would get my hands on one, haha.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Delorean Revisited ??
That would be cool too. At least I could get my hands on one, haha.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Definitely far more than I would have guessed.
Surprised me too.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #68
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DeLorean was a car that was actually made -and- it threatened the other automakers and all people that made them.

John DeLorean was framed and what the press failed to report was that he was acquitted of all charges, but too late and after too much damage was done so, the car company died. Same thing happened to Preston Tucker in the 50's only it was through cutting off his supply chain.

But, did you know that because of the manufacturing in Ireland, there are parts enough to build as many as 100 more cars(?)

Elio is totally different. It would be a new car segment that doesn't exist...unless you count 3 wheeled motorcycles. But few are gonna commute to work on a Harley or Goldwing trike.

I hope that the owners at least give it a run.

Just my 2 cents
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #69

Evergreen Owners Club
check this out , it's in production now and I saw and spoke to someone that was driving one it had air condition and i think it was a Ford motor trany, , look's just like the car in this subject with out the roof

Thoroughbred Motorsports Stallion
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #70

Quote:
Elio is producing a ground breaking product that is entirely new (autocycle); that in itself is amazing.
Not really, This type of vehicle has been out in some form since the 70s.
Popular Mechanic ran articles almost yearly, and even included plans to build them, with everything from a 350 cc Honda, to a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel tractor engine.
Nothing new here at all, even the deposit scheme has been used for decades by the experimental aircraft industry, and the aircraft engine industry.
I have seen so many latest greatest, newest, neatest developments, that I can't even keep track of them, and they never came to fruition, but people continue to send in their money, to never get anything in return, or their money back.
Me I can wait until they are actually in production, and people are using them.
A good product will prove itself, and I am skeptical of unproven, and untested miracle products that are taking money in advance.