Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #71

Not sure why they need to develop a new engine , smart cars used a 3 cylinder 600cc engine over 10 years ago , I think it's now upto 1000cc .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Not sure why they need to develop a new engine , smart cars used a 3 cylinder 600cc engine over 10 years ago , I think it's now upto 1000cc .
Ford is also in the process of developing a 3 cylinder engine. They are probably not actually doing the R&D for their's though. I would suspect IAV will be doing the R&D as well as manufacturing of their engine. Same company that is going to manufacture Elio's engine.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Not really, This type of vehicle has been out in some form since the 70s. Popular Mechanic ran articles almost yearly, and even included plans to build them, with everything from a 350 cc Honda, to a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel tractor engine. Nothing new here at all, even the deposit scheme has been used for decades by the experimental aircraft industry, and the aircraft engine industry. I have seen so many latest greatest, newest, neatest developments, that I can't even keep track of them, and they never came to fruition, but people continue to send in their money, to never get anything in return, or their money back. Me I can wait until they are actually in production, and people are using them. A good product will prove itself, and I am skeptical of unproven, and untested miracle products that are taking money in advance.
Agreed, many three wheel vehicles have been produced over the years. Nearly none in the US successfully, but the Elio is unique. I wonder how many opted to just keep using their trusty horse and carriage rather than trust one of those new fangled automobiles. Henry Ford must have been completely crazy to think that he could mass produce a vehicle that the common man could afford. Wonder what people thought of his followers before his success. If there wasn't anyone brave enough to take a risk and try and do what most said could not be done I probably would not be typing this message on my iPhone right now. Elio is trying to due something that the big three choose not to do. That's to develop a cheap car that gets phenomenal fuel mileage (mass produce a affordable car for the common man without having to finance it on a 72 month term). The ex-CEO of GM thought electric cars were a waste of time and stopped R&D on them. Tesla has proven them wrong and they are selling cars like crazy. Wonder how many thought they would surely fail? Unfortunately, Tesla is far outside of most peoples price range.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
Agreed, many three wheel vehicles have been produced over the years. Nearly none in the US successfully, but the Elio is unique. I wonder how many opted to just keep using their trusty horse and carriage rather than trust one of those new fangled automobiles. Henry Ford must have been completely crazy to think that he could mass produce a vehicle that the common man could afford. Wonder what people thought of his followers before his success. If there wasn't anyone brave enough to take a risk and try and do what most said could not be done I probably would not be typing this message on my iPhone right now. Elio is trying to due something that the big three choose not to do. That's to develop a cheap car that gets phenomenal fuel mileage (mass produce a affordable car for the common man without having to finance it on a 72 month term). The ex-CEO of GM thought electric cars were a waste of time and stopped R&D on them. Tesla has proven them wrong and they are selling cars like crazy. Wonder how many thought they would surely fail? Unfortunately, Tesla is far outside of most peoples price range.
Agree on many points, but actually getting it into mass production will be the problem.
The guy is definitely a big thinker, and that also requires big risk, and of course it is always safer to take risk with other peoples money.
Of course what works out better for the person using other peoples money, will not always work out well for the other people.
Too many red flags here, no actual finished product yet, just a prototype, and it is just a bunch of used parts put together, with nothing actually the same as what will go into production.
I could build his present vehicle in my garage....which is pretty much all he has done.
I doubt he can get a production line set up by 2015, let alone all the parts together to actual build a one.
Anyone who buys the first ones, are those people who always buy the first out so they can have the first, instead of waiting for the 2.0 version with all the fixes.
Early adopters always suffer the most, while late adopters get all the benefits, and the better product.

Tesla has not proven anything except they can take government money and sell a high end product to rich people with a lot of disposable income.
One of the reasons they are in business is government money.
Tesla has been clever It sells credits it receives from the state of California for producing zero emissions vehicles to other automakers that aren’t so clean. At up to $35,000 per vehicle, it’s a windfall that has helped keep the company alive,In the first quarter, 2013 Tesla sold credits to other automakers amounting to approximately $68 million.
$465 million government loan, like Solyndra..
Public offering in 2010, which raised $226 million.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #75

If this was truly worth the risk of a donation, venture captitalists would be all over it and donations would not be requested. That is why it provides a suspicious odor.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #76

Will a small car actually sell , the big argument is always " I don't feel save " hence auto manufactures keep churning out trucks and SUVs
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Will a small car actually sell , the big argument is always " I don't feel save " hence auto manufactures keep churning out trucks and SUVs
This vehicle will be safer than my current commuter. A 2001 Mazda Miata. Which I feel safe driving anyways. There is already millions of small vehicles sold every year in the US. The Elio has the same front wheel track as a Ford Taurus, similar wheel base as a Honda accord and same overall length of a Volkswagen Beetle. It's not as small as most people think. This car I believe has crumple zones that are double the size of comparable sized cars on the market. With the car being so narrow the occupants would actually benefit from the right side air bag that would not be there in a regular width passenger car. Or, the full roll cage. It will be very agile which will help the driver be a better defensive driver if evasive maneuvers are required. I'll take my chances.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #78

I had no idea the VW was that expensive, that's crazy. I can buy a house for that. I now have a Honda Valkyrie and love riding but am going to quit since I just had an accident and don't want to go through that again. Some change it to a trike but don't like the idea of being in traffic with no side, front and rear protection. I would rather have a nice small sports car. Being on SS and a small pension I don't think I'll be spending gobs of money on cars or bikes. It would be nice to be able to travel from home in Or. to socal and visit my son without going broke. I don't want to take the MH for a short visit since it cost $1500 or more to visit just for gas.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
I had no idea the VW was that expensive, that's crazy. I can buy a house for that. I now have a Honda Valkyrie and love riding but am going to quit since I just had an accident and don't want to go through that again. Some change it to a trike but don't like the idea of being in traffic with no side, front and rear protection. I would rather have a nice small sports car. Being on SS and a small pension I don't think I'll be spending gobs of money on cars or bikes. It would be nice to be able to travel from home in Or. to socal and visit my son without going broke. I don't want to take the MH for a short visit since it cost $1500 or more to visit just for gas.
Oh no, you wrecked a Valkyrie. What a shame. Glad you survived it. I love my 98 Valkyrie, " Big Yeller".

I also bought a older Miata for 3K and tend to drive it a lot more than the Valkyrie anymore, because my dog goes with me. Miata also gets a lot better mileage,
My fault because I believe when you have 6 cylinders, and 6 carbs, they should be put to work
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #80

I like it just for the uniqueness. But as far as high mileage go, any smart car CDI diesel will deliver AT LEAST 50 mpg in the city and probably closer to 55. We rarely see the city average drop below 54 on ours driving around palm springs and our highway average is routinely around 70 if we stay out of the left lane. (eg keepit it around 60 -65). The CDI is not available in the US but suspect it would be about double the price if it was based on what the models that are available. The CDI' are actually rated for higher than the numbers I listed and we have recorded trips exceeding those numbers. Shame they don't import the diesel but the powers to be felt that the acceleration numbers of the diesel would make it a non seller in the US market. Trust me, they are not a real fast driving experience. But they behave well at any speed and are fun to drive...just have to get past that 0-60 time of 17 seconds...mostly because of the way the computer controls letting out the clutch in first gear. Once they are moving they are actually kind of torqey. I would think the ELIO would be a considerably quicker machine off the mark though. I guess the only other advantage would be the fact we can go to costco and put a grocery car of groceries in the smart, and I can put my front seat down put my lawnmower or a ladder in the car. Always pluses and minuses.

Still, it would be nice to see a company like this make it...assuming this is actually not a scam.

Personally I think the smart gets cool points too, and its available in a convertible.

Heres our CDI looking very cool in Vegas.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #81

I seen that on Top Gear, it was pretty cool. I think the appeal of the Elio is the claims of high mileage, low cost and an anticipated five star crash rating. Oh, and it does 0-60 mph in 9.6 seconds.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #82

I see production doesn't start until this December now.

Elio Motors 3-Wheeler: 84 MPG for the Price of a Decade-Old Corolla ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Interesting concept.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
I see production doesn't start until this December now.
Don't hold your breath.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #84

Update. Now they're talking late 2015. Just a few problems: still no factory, maybe only one or two prototypes so no testing yet, no sourcing for engine & transmission, no money to buy/lease factory and still an unobtainably low projected price.

jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote