Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
EVERYBODY...... ..should use FIREFOX !!!
Why? I happen to not like it.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Also, any of you who visit online dating sites like match.com. Too often there is no truth posted and the profile picture is one the scammer found and stole from another site.

A friend found out the hard way not to believe everything you read.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Why? I happen to not like it.
I know not everyone will like Firefox; but it is more secure, and faster, and has more DNS securities built in than IE9 and Google Chrome combined. It also utilizes Thunderbird Email Client, which completely outclasses Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail and all the rest of them in security tools. Just for the record, Gmail comes closer with security tools for the consumer than the rest.

The only downside to T-bird is no built in calendar

Bing is probably an 8 on a 10 scale; the biggest thing it has going for it is the "warm and fuzzy" feel and look.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a program named MailWasher to pre-screen my emails. It identifies most of the scams and marks them for deletion. I can change that if it's a real email.
It lets you see all of the headers along with where the spoofed links would actually send you if you clicked on them. Not perfect but handy anyway.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
I've used FF and TBird for many years. I also employ a little program called 'spam assassin', which screens every single bogus email - so far. If I don't know the sender, or if it asks for personal or account info, that email is toast.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
I know not everyone will like Firefox; but it is more secure, and faster, and has more DNS securities built in than IE9 and Google Chrome combined. It also utilizes Thunderbird Email Client, which completely outclasses Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail and all the rest of them in security tools. Just for the record, Gmail comes closer with security tools for the consumer than the rest.

The only downside to T-bird is no built in calendar

Bing is probably an 8 on a 10 scale; the biggest thing it has going for it is the "warm and fuzzy" feel and look.
I don't trust Chrome since Google has a reputation for "being nosey." I found firefox to be awkward and had enough problems with incompatable websites requiring me to revert to IE (since I'm still on XP, I'm stuck with IE8; don't preach to me about XP being outdated unless you plan on paying for replacing my laserjet, both computers, possibly one of my scanners, and several hundred dollars of upgrades for my commercial software that aren't compatable with Win7, which is what I'll upgrade to by April of 2014 since Vista and Win8 stink).

Bing is a joke. Google works much better (I block all of Google's cookies so there is a limit to how much data they can collect on me) although its performance has degraded a bit recently. I always start with Google's Advanced Search (it's bookmarked) and almost always find what I want. I might occasionally use another search engine if Google doesn't find what I want, Bing being my last choice.

When I tried Gmail, I found it to be awkward and clunky (not to mention Google is nosey). I won't use Hotmail because they require all cookies to be enabled. It's my darned computer; I'll determine what cookies get put on it, thank you very much.

I'm still using Yahoo for my email since I prefer a web based email so I won't have to change emails whenever I change my ISP (which I've done three times since I started using it, including a few months when I didn't have an ISP at home). However, Yahoo has been having problems lately. It's become slow and clunky and has been subject to frequent hackings. My email account was hacked into about a year ago (I literally caught that in the first hour; 'twas dumb luck). I change my password frequently now to be on the safe side. Friends of mine using Yahoo email have also experienced hack ins. Since I have had a significant recent uptick in spam (after seven years of minimal spam), I'm about ready to look for another email provider if the spam doesn't start to slow down soon. Suggestions anyone? Preferably someone with a good track history who will be around for several years (forget Hotmail, Gmail, and A.O.H**l).

Since I use a web based email services, Outlaw (aka Outlook) and Outlaw Express are clunky to use, overkill (especially Outlaw) and usually involve an annual fee to use with web based email (not much but a pain to deal with).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I've been getting email scam from what looks like (but obviously is not) Amazon. It says on the header "Cancellation of your Amazon Order #...........) The first one it contained a link, which I did not click on. I have since been deleting them...........

I have no idea what it is, and not gonna go find out........

Watch out for that one too!
Comes from 'Amazones.com'
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Gator, you need some EDUMACATON

I use a calendar on my laptop PC integrated into Thunderbird.

I agree that FF is so much more secure - and better - but then that is just a personal opinion that many seem to have.

IE is so intrusive!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
The date was correct. If you are in a country other than the one we're in, or in the military, the date is written day, month, year. So May 4, 2012 would be written 4-5-2012.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Hey Gator, you need some EDUMACATON

I use a calendar on my laptop PC integrated into Thunderbird.

I agree that FF is so much more secure - and better - but then that is just a personal opinion that many seem to have.

IE is so intrusive!
Yes, there is calendar that you can manually integrate into T-bird; but the program as it is written does NOT include a calendar; it is a separate program written as a patch.
Education goes both ways my friend..................... Your link goes back to the ADD-ONS EXTENSIONS page for Firefox; sorry friend, T-Bird does not include a calendar, you must add it yourself.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
The date was correct. If you are in a country other than the one we're in, or in the military, the date is written day, month, year. So May 4, 2012 would be written 4-5-2012.
The date was not correct as the ISP tracked back to North Carolina; they haven't moved NC out of the states have they???? Another issue with the date is consistency; people "normally" do not change formats within the confines of a single article or paragraph. It is not an accepted literary practice.

Please!!!!! try to post something to help everybody, and some folks always want to point out so called "mistakes" You would think that they had better things to do
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
EVERYBODY...PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!! THIS KIND OF STUFF TICKS ME OFF; The whole purpose for my original post was to warn others and "teach" them to look for the inconsistencies in scam emails; and they are ALWAYS there.

I mean really, T-bird DOES NOT have a built in calendar, and if this is ALL you got out of the posts on this topic, then you completely missed the boat.

And the comment about the "me" being wrong about the date format; I am ex-Navy, and I KNOW dates are formatted differently in other parts of the world; but, I took the time to track the ISP back to North Carolina, not unknown parts of the world.

I honestly believe that some on these forums think it is their duty to be the "forum police", and point out so called errors simply because they did not read a post thoroughly and comprehend it for its intent and purpose.

I stopped visiting this forum for over a year, because I simply got tired of those who would rather criticize than contribute; it is immature and disgusting. I recently came back and really enjoy the forums, I guess I have said enough...........
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Whoa, Easy their big fella. Many of us haven't lost sight of the main point. People will do what people do. That is just part of any forum. Someone will always pick at things even though it may not be germane to the main point. But lets get back to that and flesh out for users who may not be so tech savvy as to what they can do to help themselves.

First off, I have yet to see ANY financial entity be it Paypal, the Bank or Credit Union use email to contact you about a problem. So there are some simple rules for all to follow.

1. Be suspicious of any email from an entity like a bank or other financial institution purporting to be trying to alert you to a problem with your account. The same goes with companies supposedly trying to apprise you a situation with orders or cancellations. If you get them, don't open them. If there is a chance that there may be some relevance, contact the entity by other means using information you have collected independently. Anything in an email should be considered suspect.

2. (If you have opened them) Do not confirm ever, anything like usernames, passwords or anything that these kinds of messages might requested. Links in these emails should not be clicked and you should exit any such email as soon as you realize that it may be a scam.

3. Always keep your computer protected with antivirus software. And for you smug Mac types, understand that times have changed. The Mac's popularity has begun to attract Microsoft like attention from virus writers. Gone are the days where Mac users can say "I have an Apple, there are no virus's for Apple". Keeping your computer protected can help you avoid unpleasantness.

4. Use an online based email service like Google Mail or even your own ISP's web based service. This means that emails aren't physically downloaded to your computer and thus reduces the risks of virus's and adware getting into your machine.

Try to remember folks that in many cases it is the user who is the scammer's best friend. In the matter of banking and monetary issues, it is always better to use the phone and talk to a real person.

And don't be afraid to ask! Sometimes people will fear appearing gullible or foolish and keep mum about a potential problem. Don't! People get caught by things like this all the time. You aren't alone and the last thing you want to do is help the bad guys by keeping your experience hushed up. Meanwhile you are afraid to use a tool meant to help you keep in touch, learn new things, entertain. Don't let the bad guys deprive you of those pleasures. We experience, learn and grow. You may be the person helping the next one possibly avoid the same problem.

Good Computing and a pox on the bad guys!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #28

Is this about e-mail scams? ha ha he he