Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #1

Email scam warning !!

For those who know me,scgator, I work on computers for retirement income; today I got an email supposedly from PAYPAL...........let's look at the warning signs:

help@notefy.payipal.com NOTICE THE MISSPELLING IN THE EMAIL ADDRESS............this is the FIRST warning sign. Legitimate companies employee people who know how to spell.

Warning number TWO..... the head info for the email is "Paypal: Your Account is Locked {04-05-2012-scanned}............notice the date is 04-05-2012 AND THE CURRENT DATE IS 05-04-2012

warning number THREE............I cannot get the attachment to properly upload, so I will tell you what it includes; it is real "official looking" as if to appear to be from Paypal; however it asks for ALL of your critical info...EVERYTHING!

warning number FOUR......a disclaimer at the bottom of the email tells you that you cannot reply back to the email source.

Fellow RV'ers please be very careful when responding to emails and their attachments. Have a good day............scgator

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

Thanks for the reminder scgator. Try to be careful but all of us slip up. If it don't
look right DON'T.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I have gotten two suspicious e-mails from PayPal this week. I have gone to the PayPal support page, on my own (not following any links in the suspicious email), blocked and copied the original email, as well as a 'reply all' (as if to respond to the suspicious email) which captured all of the headers and included that to PayPal too.

As yet no reply from PayPal, but as with phone transactions, never give your personal, security information over the phone, or in an email to anyone -- unless you initiated the call or transaction.

JoAnn
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

I have been able trace the ISP back, and it is certainly not PAYPAL
Attached Files
File Type: txt lookup.txt (3.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Rule of thumb:

Email is NOT a secure medium. No thing in an email can ever be believed. No link in any email should ever be clicked. No legitimate company will ever send you an email asking for your password, ssn, account details, etc. never, ever.

Anyone can send an email to anyone else that appears to come FROM anyone they want using nothing but the tools included in every version of every operating system released sine 1995.

Anyone can make a link in an email (or forum) go some place else:

http://www.google.com <-- looks like it'll take you to google eh? Click and see!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Ramblin..........let me give you ; you are so right; anyone with reasonable computer skills can create bogus info and redirect you to where they want. Most of it is sales pitch diversion (hoping their site will interest you enough to buy), but, not all of it is. With today's online banking techniques, someone with your info can drain your accounts within minutes of gathering your info. Even if your banking institution locks your account for suspicious activity, the intruders will have already gotten some from you......AND added your name and info to a very lucrative list that they will soon sell to the highest bidder.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Amazon email scam "order cancellation"

I've been getting email scam from what looks like (but obviously is not) Amazon. It says on the header "Cancellation of your Amazon Order #...........) The first one it contained a link, which I did not click on. I have since been deleting them...........

I have no idea what it is, and not gonna go find out........

Watch out for that one too!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Rule of thumb:

Email is NOT a secure medium. No thing in an email can ever be believed. No link in any email should ever be clicked. No legitimate company will ever send you an email asking for your password, ssn, account details, etc. never, ever.

Anyone can send an email to anyone else that appears to come FROM anyone they want using nothing but the tools included in every version of every operating system released sine 1995.

Anyone can make a link in an email (or forum) go some place else:

http://www.google.com <-- looks like it'll take you to google eh? Click and see!
AMEN!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #9

If you are suspicious of an email, you can select "view" from your email menu and then select "message source" and the entire email format and sender info will display in a new window for you. If you are not sure where to find that, (I use Mozilla Thunderbird email), then hit the "ctrl U" should do it for you

{select the email with your mouse pointer, but do not open it; then hit ctrl U and the email info will open in a new window for you. Save it if needed as a "txt" file.}

This will tell you everything about the email and also if you save it as a "txt" file you will have documented proof that you can forward to the proper authorities as the case may be.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
A while back I had to verify with Pay Pal a Pay Pal look-a-like web page that wasn't in any way connected or associated with Pay Pal. I furnished no information to them. Now I am afraid to use my Pay Pal account.
I am getting a request every day now from who knows who requesting I add them to face book so we can chat.
There are a lot of folks out there just desiring to hurt and cause trouble for any who may be susceptible to their gamic.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Never click on anything in an email. Just clicking on a link or attachment could release malware into your computer. Go directly to the actual site to vette what the email claims.

I've gotten three of the fake Amazon emails (I never ordered what they claim was cancelled), a slew from You Tube Service claiming my video was accepted, rejected, is number 3, is number 1, etc. (I do not have a You Tube account nor have I uploaded any videos), and I have hundreds of new friends on social media I never heard of. All of those go into the hopper unopened.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #12

My wife on her e-mail and me on my e-mail have both received the same Amazon e-mail the previous poster referred to. We recognized it as a scam since neither of us has ordered anything from Amazon. I also never click on a link supplied in a e-mail.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ramblin'
I didn't have to click on the "google" link to find out it was a link to disney.com. My bottom status bar pops up when I hover over the link and tells me where it is going.

Others should be able to do the same thing with their browser. I'm using FF.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

EVERYBODY...... ..should use FIREFOX !!!