Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Emission inspections to increase?

Just read where the government has passed tougher SMOG requirements that are expected to double the number of cities and counties out of compliance. More than like this will also increase the number of places that require vehicle emission tests. Here in FL it is only required in a few places (like around Tampa) but this will surely expand the areas.

Government to announce new smog restrictions | Fox News

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

I thought Florida stopped emissions testing in 2000, for the whole state.

Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I thought Florida stopped emissions testing in 2000, for the whole state.
I guess I stand corrected. I retired from MacDill AFB (Tampa) in 1998 and it was required in the county there back then. I am in Naples now and they never required it. But as the article stated, more places may start it.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

I wouldn't get too worried yet as the states have 20 years to comply and there will certainly be changes...
Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thank goodness governments are looking out for us.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

It's hard to tell what a politically driven EPA is going to do. Maybe another administration will scale them back. They're just a regulation machine that's not even needed.

The City of Memphis has been under mandatory emissions testing for many, many years. They're leaving the program, and future testing is not going to be required. I guess those left to live in the city may not can afford an automobile anyway.

But emission testing is alive and well in most large U.S. cities.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here were I live in AZ testing is mandatory for most vehicles 5 years old, and they get tested every 2 years, MH and diesels get tested every year, and motorcycles are no longer tested. If you live outside the Phoenix or Tucson area they you may be exempt for now but rumor has it is that the testing area will be growing here in the future.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #8

Only the tip of the iceberg at this point.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you go back and study the original emissions laws. They were such that they increased and increased and increased over time becoming more and more restrictive over time.

A president or so ago they got a major setback (he changed the time line) but,,, He did not eliminate it, just set it back about a decade.

Thus, the emissions laws will continue to increase over time, At least they will until someone decides to stop it. (And does so).

As to my political position on this issue... (And this is as political as I will get on this topic).... Not sure,,, Too much conflicting information and out of my primary field so I can not properly filter it. Thus no position.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #10

Always, just follow the money. In PA we pay for an "emissions" inspection every year. There is no tailpipe sample taken, all they do is plug into the cars computer and charge about $30. If the engine was performing so poorly that the emissions were too high, the check engine light would be on. Imagine, $30 to tell me that my light ain't on. Some argue that there may be codes stored in the computer that only the reader will find, but again, the codes that pertain to high emissions will turn on the light.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Always, just follow the money. In PA we pay for an "emissions" inspection every year. There is no tailpipe sample taken, all they do is plug into the cars computer and charge about $30. If the engine was performing so poorly that the emissions were too high, the check engine light would be on. Imagine, $30 to tell me that my light ain't on. Some argue that there may be codes stored in the computer that only the reader will find, but again, the codes that pertain to high emissions will turn on the light.
Had the very same thing here in BC. They are supposed to discontinue it next year. Just another cash cow that does not help control emissions!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jersey has a smoke test, they hook computer to the engine a sensor in the tail pipe, they rev the engine 4 or five times. Was $80 last year $90 this year.