Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey folks, let's not let this get personal and start picking at each other. I think I will move this from Humor to Just Conversation as it is better suited to that area.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #16

I don't work for Walmart, never have, and hopefully never will. Not a memeber of any union, and never owned a store they shut down. But I have friends who owned stores they shut down.

I'll agree that all Walmarts are not created equal. The Walmart in Huntsville Texas is very nice, the people are friendly and we will shop there. But our Walmart in Bryan is just plain nasty and is not what thier advertising reflects. That is a fact. Maybe they got thier people for Paul Harvey commericials all out of Huntsville.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #17

I just came back from buying two K&N air filters from Wallmart for the same price I could order them in a cat. or on line. There are three Wallmart stores within 10 miles of me and other than parking I have yet to have a problem with any aspect of the stores! The people are helpfull and I have never even been questioned about a return. I live in massachusettes and we aren't known for being the freindliest folks in the country. So I have to wonder what the heck is going on where you all are. As a note I have stopped at Wallmarts all over the country and have yet to be disapointed. target on the other hand has lost my $$$. my .02 Scotty. (I work in the steel industry and don't own any wally stock)
Old 01-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I am somewhat amused and slightly incredulous at the posts about Wal-mart. It stirs folks up so. To the point of name calling and verbal abuse. I haven't seen many topics that generate this amount of responses.
WalMart in town here is the only store that we can get a decent price on life's needs. Sure there are Smith's Food King and Albertsons. But for one stop shopping it can't be beat. I just use the store to get what I want.
Chet
Old 01-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">never owned a store they shut down. But I have friends who owned stores they shut down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't believe that Wal-Mart ever shut down another store. Your friends and neighbors who chose to shop at Wal-Mart instead of the local store (for whatever reasons) "shut down" the other stores.

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdrcos:
I don't believe that Wal-Mart ever shut down another store. Your friends and neighbors who chose to shop at Wal-Mart instead of the local store (for whatever reasons) "shut down" the other stores. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...if the other store has a higher price than Wal-Mart, then Wal-Mart will have my business. My bottom note is, I LOVE WAL-MART here, there and everywhere.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...If other businesses go out of business because they can't beat Wal*Mart prices, then they need to take another look at what they are charging. When you can by a HP computer for hundreds less than others are charging, it says something. It says that maybe the others are charging too much...trying to get rich off one customer... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you will look at the back of the appliances you find at Wal-Mart, you may find a label that says "Made for Wal-Mart". This is one of the ways that Wal-Mart gets the lower prices. Most of Wal-Marts competitors make the mistake of trying to compete with them on price. They need to compete on Quality.

Not WaL-Mart but similar.... A few years back I bought a "John Deere" gas weed trimmer (the kind that you can use various attachments with). I bought it at Home Depot as we were there buying other things and our old Tanaka trimmer had recently died of old age and abuse. Few years later, I had problems with the trimmer (I stripped out the cable that turns the stuff... Hey, those carbide tipped saw blades I use get stuck in the little trees & stumps I was cutting down) so I nipped into the friendly (and they were) John Deere dealer where they started looking up my parts (even brought the thing in for them). Then they asked if I had bought it at Home Depot. Seems John Deere had the Home Depot version manufactured specifically for Home Depot. Guy said it wasn't quite the same quality but more like an "entry level" item. I know different now, I would definately buy a John Deere trimmer again, but at the John Deere dealer, mostly because we use and abuse our trimmer (used to use old Tanaka to keep a 1/4 mile long driveway in check) and we cleared a 60 x 200 ft strip of woods behind our house of almost any tree less than the diameter of my wrist. I don't think they ware supposed to be used like that but those old carbide tipped circular blades that I get from David just slices thru so nicely. Only bad thing is they "throw" the carbide tips (ouch).

We were looking to replace the lawn mower that died (Lowe's) and decided to do a little pricing. Ended up buying a Husqevarna from a dealer for LESS (last years floor model) than Home Depot & Lowes. And the mower was bigger (actually a lawn tractor). Same story... Husqevarna makes 2 lines, one for dealers (real ones) and a lesser quality for places like Lowe's & Home Depot.

David was needing to buy a framing nailer. He found a Bostch that he was going to get at Home Depot and also at a dealer (small lumber yard). Well the dealer was much higher but on the same day David was at the little lumber yard, the Bostch rep was there. David asked the rep about the difference. The rep told him the same thing as what the other dealers had told us, but he got into a little more detail. Seems tool companies expect the homeowner/weekend-handyman to not need the quality or power that pro's need. So they have someone manufacture a cheaper version to their spec's. If you will notice that many of the tool companies use different colours for their tools (one for their stuff thay sell to professionals & one for the tools they sell to the Home Depots & Lowe's type places).

Watch what you buy. It's it something for short term use - go with price. If it's something you need heavy use and/or long term use... go with quality.

I've been setting up a grocery shopping list program with prices (I use WM for Wal-Mart, ING for Ingles, BL for Bi-Lo, PBLX for Publix, $GEN for Dollar General, etc before the description IE: WM GV diced tomato or $GEN Stkl diced tomato) I am finding that yes, some of Wal-mart foods are cheaper, by like a penny, when I compare store brands to store brands. Others are the same price, like the GV tomatoes compared to the Stokley tomatoes at $General.
But I am finding some brands available only in certain sizes between stores. And it's surprising who is cheaper than whom in the various stuff.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
If you will look at the back of the appliances you find at Wal-Mart, you may find a label that says "Made for Wal-Mart". This is one of the ways that Wal-Mart gets the lower prices. Most of Wal-Marts competitors make the mistake of trying to compete with them on price. They need to compete on Quality.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will not get into a Wal-Mart bashing here ...but I would like to make one comment. I can hardly believe a manufacture would sacrifice quality to make a cheaper product for Wal-Mart ...have heard in the past that Sears was doing the same thing. Those big name manufactures would have too much at stake, not only with customers but to their loyal dealers elsewhere. Personally, I just don't believe this is happening, however, to satisfy my own mind, I plan to search out the truth.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

Rich,I am not sure about Walmart,but what Lorna says about Home Depot and Lowes and power tools is RIGHT ON the money....We have a division of Stihl,Inc. here in Virginia Beach and there was a documentary recently in the local fishwrapper about their manafacturing plant here and it's sales practices.....Stihl WILL NOT sell anything to Lowes or Home Depot,choosing instead to use local dealers for their products. Stihl even participated financially with the construction cost of the local dealer's new showroom and repair building.
The representative from Stihl confirmed what Lorna says.....that all these manafacturers that sell to Lowes and Home Depot cheapen their product to meet the residential market...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If I were comparison-shopping, I would compare model numbers of the product at the big-box and local retailers. I highly doubt that a manufacturer would produce two versions of the same product that carry the same model number - that would border on a deceptive trade practice or fraud. Part of caveat emptor (buyer beware) is ensuring that I'm comparing apples and apples when I compare price, right?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

You're right Rusty....from what I've seen when I checked H/D and Lowes and then the local lawn and garden folks,the model numbers were in fact different.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdrcos:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">never owned a store they shut down. But I have friends who owned stores they shut down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't believe that Wal-Mart ever shut down another store. Your friends and neighbors who chose to shop at Wal-Mart instead of the local store (for whatever reasons) "shut down" the other stores. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WM's business practices, which allow them to have their "Everyday Low Prices" are what shut down the other stores.

It's too bad people don't take the time to understand how WM is able to attain their low prices. I bet some would change their minds on WM.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes WM does create problems for the smaller shops due to their buying power. The small owner has to offer a service or customer care beyond what WM can not offer no matter the higher price, or do what is refered to as value added.

Now how WM gets some of the pricing and products is a practice that I do not care for. Last place I worked thought they wanted to get in on the WM band wagon with all of the new stores being built. WM mamagement makes a decision on what they "think" they want based on some brother-in-law relations and misguidance come on like an 800# gorilla. They tell the vendors that they will supply this product to this spec and terms. Either you do it or let someone else. The case I saw was obviously based on poor engineering or no engineering judgment. We built one set of the equipment and politely told them no way on the next one.

Ken
Old 01-31-2006, 04:02 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Sometimes legal and ethical are not the same thing. I believe that some of the practices that have been exposed by the media are totally legal (some are not) but I don't think they are ethical. Here's an article that speaks to that issue.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
I believe in healthy competition is good for the economy. But as in any race, when you take ethics out of the picture, it gets ugly. And I will say again, part of the problem is the American consumer who has this addiction to buy, buy, buy. You can flame me if you want but I'm just bringing forward information I have seen. I am a shopper, I admit it and I do occassionaly go to Walmart although not often. I really liked Ames and now they are gone.