Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #57
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:

I agree that the "deals" aren't&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
I know that I can stop (usually really late at night) and buy whatever it is that I need without having to search all over.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
It's the reason we always eat at Cracker Barrels. We know what to expect.
Why is it that you never hear folks complaining about the McDonalds or Burger Kings coming in and depriving the local greasy spoons of their customers (BTW, I NEVER eat at those two places as I don't like their food). Just an observation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not here to start or re-start a flame if there
were any.
I am new to this site not new to camping
and have not pasted any personal ifo ..yet.

I do not like burger thing, mickeyD's
Huddle house, or waffle-hut.
You can get consistent cardboard at either.
Neither do I like wallly world. Too many times
I went back to get a refill for some
thing-a-ma jig where I had to replace the
do-hickey because they chose to not carry
replacement refills. Since Mr. Sam has gone
finding a cashier to complete my "buying"
has gotten worse....Some brand-new stores
AND brand-rebiulds do not have self-check
registers. Just call me a griper and a jerk
if you want. I jest needed to vent a little
and couldn't resist a comment.

Skweeky, old camper.

(Edited HTML code for quote.)

We are rarely proud when we are alone. Voltaire 1764
Skweeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #58
Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The title sounded interesting so here is my $.02. We overnight in Wal-Marts on each major trip. We usually stay one night on the outgoing trip and one night on the return. I do like the convenience. However a previous comment about dirty bathrooms and parking lots I have found to be true. In my home town I have had to ask the store manager to go into the bathrooms with me so I could show her the dirty sinks. They need to use a scrubber pad when they clean. However last week it was back to the "mechanic's hand wash station" appearance. The worst I have ever seen was Store number 7, North Hot Springs, AK. It really creates a bad image for the store.

Some of the problem is that they have customers who leave dirty diapers in the parking lot. And that is not Wal-Marts fault.

Nancy & Bill, Camden, NC
Retired and having fun
Cardinal 29WB, '14 Ford F250 dsl 4wd
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #59
Well for those of you that don't like Wal-Mart, those of you that feel they are not clean stores, they may not have the cheapest prices, some of their employees are rude, you have a choice. This is the land of the free, home of the brave, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. DON'T SHOP THERE! This ain't rocket science folks.

Ya'll need to grow up.

Paul - WA1IWH

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #60
Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Location: Mercer, PA -- 1000 feet from the O.D. Anderson Interchange (I-79 & I-80)
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
This thread has provided me interesting reading, especially the discussion regarding the quality of products build especially for WM. I am surprised that WM doesn't have some kind of gag order on these suppliers.

What I'm curious about is if there is any difference in Castrol Motor Oil that WM sells vs. what my independent auto parts store sells. Does anyone know?

Years ago, I learned that Goodyear would not honor any warranty on the Goodyear Tracker tires that WM sells. After having 3 Goodyear tire failures, I changed over to Michelin. A Michelin corporate rep assured me that I could take ANY Michelin tire to ANY Michelin franchise (even though I would purchase at WM), and the warranty will be honored.

2009 Palomino Stampede S195 SD (Hybrid TT)
2010 Ford E-350 Super Duty XLT Extended
GOOGLE "GEORGE MIKLAS" for more information of about our worldwide adventures
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #61
I sometimes wonder just how many of the people who Bash all over Walmart are or have stayed for free in those big parking lots usen those bathrooms and neversomuch as said thanks to any of the people incharge at the stores

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:50 AM   #62
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We like and shop at Walmart.

Pat and I spent our first night at a Super Walmart March 2004 in Lantana Florida. We were a little worried at first but Walmart had security all night long.

The next morning I said to Pat that her and I were officially Gypsy's.

Since then we have stayed a dozen nights in route on our travels at Walmarts in Tennessee, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.
Bob&Pat Blue Water Isles, MI
2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M-F53 HHR toad
Bob&Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:16 AM   #63
Jayco Owners Club
I like Walmart.

If you don't like Walmart, don't go there. If you work there and don't like the benefits, work somewhere else.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 AM   #64
We've been to many Walmarts in our travels only one stands out as being messy, we do not overnight there prefer a campground or state park, also prefer hook-ups.Saw our first upscale WW on an Is.community very, very nice didn't even look like a WW, and now we got one in our community just opened last week they say the biggest in the country, it is Huge! and Gorgeous!!!! Classy!! do all our shopping there (groceries) also while traveling only dissapointment here is no Murphy's for fuel.And I wanna tell you the GV/SAMS products beat out any store brands we've ever had from major Food chains, most are better then name brands products.......they must really strive for a better product, have great quality control.And best of all no games and crap like Winn Dixie, which is all a scam, after being a shopper for 45 yrs. I know all their tricks, and WW got none of that...I'll stay with WW...Thank You very much!
2SAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #65
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
I like Walmart.

If you don't like Walmart, don't go there. If you work there and don't like the benefits, work somewhere else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. It isn't rocket science.

I like WalMart, so I go there.
gasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #66
Yes indeed I am a BIG fan of Wal-Mart and we do 95% of our shopping at them They receive a bum rap when they decide to go into a new town ,but it seems to me that most buisness that close after WM opens were probably about out of buisness anyway Our city has done just the opposet and has grown and thrived thanks wal-mart

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #67
I work at a living history museum in Massachusetts. I recieve minimum wage and we get no benefits. Our state only requires that they give us a 1/2 hour unpaid lunch, no brakes. And believe me, we rarely get breaks. At least at WalMart I would have more benefits and better treatment then where I am. I choose to work where I do as I feel it is a great place for families to go and I want to support it for that reason, besides I am retired and do not need the money. I know people who work for WalMart and other independant places. We are all treated about the same. At least at WalMart there is a chance for advancement. Hubby and I have stopped/stayed at WalMarts all accross the country. We have found that when you see a dirty/unsafe etc. one, the whole town usually reflects the same appearance. Being cautious, we will usually go on to another town. It's a free country, let's all shop where our hearts desire.

Marcy & Wally
2006 37 ft Newmar Mountain Aire
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #68
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like Wal-Mart.

The people that keep bashing them are working for a competative store and complain about losing bussiness. If you track prices in the grocery area, you will find items that are a $1 or more less, for the same Brand, size as in other stores.
Wal-Mart uses volume buy to bring the lowest price to the customer.

Many of the complainers, carry a Sam's or Costco card in their wallet for this reason.
We shop all around and and go to WM for certain things .
04 SeaBreese LX 8341 / Workhorse W-22 / GM 8.1 / Allison 5 Speed / Brazel's ULTRAPOWER Upgrade/Taylor Extreme Service PlusCables/DIYCAI
06 Honda CRV4/SE/all wheel drive with Falcon II / Roadmaster 9000 Braking System
rogueii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #69
Hello all. Long time listener first time caller.

My wife, son, and I live in Bentonville Arkansas. That's Wal-Mart headquarters. In our little town-square the old Walton's 5 & 10 has been turned into the Wal-Mart museum.

You see, down here Wal-Mart is not some "cause de'jour" for the unions. Its a part of our everyday life, and is woven into the fabric of our town.

We're proud of our neighbor Wal-Mart. We're proud of what they did to help out during the Hurricanes last year. We're proud of the charitable work they do throughout the country.

As for shopping there, we're fortunate to have a number of their prototype stores nearby. They are cleaner, brighter, and more well-organized than any you have ever seen.

To me, Wal-Mart is my personal negotiator. They negotiate prices of the goods that my family needs each month with their suppliers. They obviously work hard to get me the lowest price possible, and as a result we are able to save money.

The money we save shopping at Wal-Mart is used to save for my boy's college education. To put food on the table. And, hopefully this year, to buy an RV so I can show my son this country.

I was a union airline pilot for many, many years. The unions pocketed dues money but never did anything to improve my job security. Instead they raped the company at every opportunity and weakened it to the point that, after 09/11, I was laid off.

And now they tell me to boycot Wal-Mart? Sorry folks, I just don't buy it. Wal-Mart didn't start globalization and their demise won't end it. American companies will have to learn to compete. Become more productive, more efficient.

Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.

Or, as has been suggested here, if you dont like it - don't shop there. If you work there and are unhappy, find employment elsewhere.

Thanks for allowing me to participate in the forum.

-Mike & Terri in the beautiful Ozarks of Northwest Arkansas
Mike, Terri, Benji, & "Furlough" (the Golden Retriever)

LearjetDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #70
I shop there also and have no problem with Walmart. I have never parked there overnight but would in a pinch if the permited it. However they owe me nothing.

02 F250 PSD
03 Carriage Cameo F27RKS
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote