Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 AM   #71
Administrator Emeritus

Mike and Terri,WELCOME to iRV2!!

My daughter and SIL live in Mena,AR and it sure is pretty out there...

Glad to have you come on board!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 AM   #72

People single out Walmart on this but a good number of retailers now follow the Walmart business model. We could substitute just about any large retailers name here if they follow this model.

The problem that most people overlook with the Walmart business model is - Once they have forced all their suppliers to fire their U.S. workforce, buy only offshore materials and move their operations to contries with a depressed workforce there will not be many people left here with income from manufacturing. Yes there will still be the non-manufacturing industries but these jobs are not enough to go around. Their business practice is one that may be providing a short term benifit for the current generation of consumers but at the expense of the future. This is not really sustainable and has many economists extremely worried.

Are the prices low and some of the stores very nice? Of course they are but at what cost. We have to divorce ourselves from the emotional aspect, of what is good for me for the moment and look at this in a broader and more practical sence then just how much I might save today. What are those following the Walmart business model setting up for our tomorrows?

An old timer once told me that business is like farming. If you don't maintain the productivity of the community just like a farmer maintains his land by nurturing it, then eventually it will fail.

When and how bad will this failure be is a real concern.

We can try to offset this slightly by modifying where we shop however the solution has to start with an adjustment to the current mentality of business in general to lean toward the over use of offshore assets and not fully consider the human toll. This toll can become more costly than any "natural" disaster and make any humanitarian efforts these companies engage in seem like a hollow gesture.

This may all be moot as personally I feel that when God finally steps in this will get sorted out and the best solution for all our problems will then be made crystal clear. His way would follow the progression of his attributes, 1 - Love, 2 - Justice, 3 - Wisdom, 4 - Power.

The model would then be to use Power to pursue the Wisdom to do what is Just in a Loving way. If we could all impliment this in our daily lives and business practices now, wouldn't it be sweet.

Best regards,

Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 AM   #73

To all of you Wal-Mart haters:

Be sure NOT to take advantage of the $4 generic drug prescriptions they are now going to sell at some (or all, eventually) locations. Keep going to the regular drugstores.

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:21 AM   #74

If people find problems with their generics them they won't continue to go to WM.

In their rush to save money,Americans have brought this on themselves, [in a way]. But now it's too big to stop.

Cars built in Mexico can be built for a FRACTION of what it cost's in the US, but the selling price is the same as one's built here.

After traveling the North East from Phila to Maine we have seen the old factories that used to make shoes and clothes.

Beautiful brick structures that lay idle because all the business went to other countries.

The same thing happened all over America. Americans out of work, but WE didn't care because WE were going to pay less for clothes and toys now.

A baseball cap with complete emblems cost about $1 for a store to buy and they can sell it for $14 and up.

$200 NiKi sneekers can be made for less than $20 or there abouts. Foreing workers are making alot of money that our own people should be making.

We, the American PUBLIC can only blame ourselves for much of this. We were told to BUY UNION PRODUCTS from American manufacturers,to keep Americans working, but we saw foreign made STUFF much cheaper.

Business saw this trend and expanded on it.

Now we owe foreigners for everything we buy.
If they say the price is going up then we have no choices left as to where to buy from.

Americans have OUTSOURCED THEIR LIVES

Americans have OUTSOURCED their lives to other countries.

No son, don't be a plumber, mechanic or electrician. Go to college.

Well, where are the plumbers,comming from in the future?
MEXICO and LATIN AMERICA, that's where.

Project this picture into the future and what do you see America as?
It is a very ugly picture, but we did save money on the TV sets,didn't we?

This is my view. I could be wrong. Show me.

Aren't older folks a pain?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #75

Actually I do, very respectfully, disagree.

It is a simple fact that with higher education comes higher earning potential. And with higher earning potential an individual will most likely become a more afluent consumer.

The consumer will purchase goods and services. Regardless of where those goods are manufactured, there will be a requirement for infrastructure and jobs within the United States to support their distribution.

Air-freight, for example, requires highly trained (and federally regulated) pilots, mechanics, dispatchers, air-traffic controllers, etc. Along with lower-skilled (but still fairly compensated) cargo haulers.

Once freight has been delivered to the country there is a requirement for trucking and/or rail transport both of which require specialized diesel mechanics. As that infrastructure ages transportation engineers are required to design newer, more modern roadways, railroads, engines, etc.

When those new technologies are ready to be implemented training must occur. Highly skilled subject matter experts will be required to train the people who will operate the machinery.

Each of these people will also be compensated according to the market demand for their skill-set. And they too will become consumers... so to stick with the transportation theme, those consumers will purchase, for example, vacations. (airline jobs, government jobs, airport service jobs).

Upon their arrival at their destination they require additional services (hotel employees, rental-car employees, buss drivers, taxicabs, restaurant workers, theme-park employees)

Consumers drive the economy and although we are moving more towards a service economy vs. a manufacturing economy there are still jobs with excellent compensation for Americans to pursue.

The catch is that those jobs will require the commitment to higher education. It will become more and more challenging and competitive to seek out those positions. No longer can an assemblyline worker punch a timeclock for 30 years and retire with a pension -- his wages were artificially manipulated by the unions.

Our youth of today will have to work harder and smarter to get ahead. It won't be easy, but there is opportunity there for those who seek it.

And when they earn the almighty dollar, they too will choose how and where to spend (or save) it.

If they choose Wal-Mart they will be supporting not only the 1.8 million Wal-Mart employees, but also the 3 million employees of Wal-Mart's 61,000 US suppliers.

According to author Ryan Sager, "Our views of markets are a funny thing. When Wal-Mart's aggressive tactics put the squeeze on toy or underwear makers or "mom and pop" stores, we're told the company is destroying the middle class and the American way of life. Yet when it's making meds affordable to the poor and uninsured (re: new prescription drug program), the company's seen as doing a selfless public service.

In truth, Wal-Mart isn't doing a public service in either case - it's acting as any capitalist corporation should, trying to maximize its profits. And in both cases, it's offering a benefit to the public in terms of low prices. That's what the free market is. That's what the free market does."

LearjetDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:50 AM   #76

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LEARJETDADDY::

Excellent reply. People need to look at all the facts that are involved in any business, Farming, Manufacturing, Shipping, Processing & Packaging. Everything helps produce jobs and keep the $$ flowing. If we did not have the Products to sell, we would not need the workers in the various positions that are needed to keep things flowing. Every job that is done in the world has an inpact on something else.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #77

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rogueii:
LEARJETDADDY::

Excellent reply. People need to look at all the facts that are involved in any business, Farming, Manufacturing, Shipping, Processing & Packaging. Everything helps produce jobs and keep the $$ flowing. If we did not have the Products to sell, we would not need the workers in the various positions that are needed to keep things flowing. Every job that is done in the world has an inpact on something else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let look at it with some contrived numbers. Lets say there are one million people working in this country making coffee pots and the sellers put the squeese on the manufacturers to let those one million workers go and move operations overseas to make the coffee pots, that there already is a market and distrubution chain set up for. You have got one million people now unemployed but realistically you will only have a few hundred new shipping jobs created at the ports because national and local distribution channels etc already exist.

This only works if the change creates an equal amount of new jobs to offset those that were lost. From what I am seeing the equalization unfortunately is not really happening.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #78

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lynnvt:
I know there have been news articles regarding the employment conditions at Walmart. I googled Walmart and employment and found some articles.
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._walmart.shtml
http://www.union-network.org/unisite/sectors/commerce/M...paign_index_page.htm
They have had discrimination suits filled against them. Now I believe in free enterprise and I also believe Americans in particular (including myself) buy too much stuff. Walmart caters to that and consumers buy into it. I just think they should treat their employees well. Walmart and the Walton family does just fine for themselves. In my opinion, they can take care of their workers so that we the taxpayers don't have to pick up their slack. True for any other company that tries to squeeze their profits from their employees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand, could you please explain to me how if "WalMart doesn't take care of its workers, then us taxpayers HAVE to pick up the slack??"
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #79

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LearjetDaddy:
Actually I do, very respectfully, disagree.

It is a simple fact that with higher education comes higher earning potential. And with higher earning potential an individual will most likely become a more afluent consumer.

The consumer will purchase goods and services. Regardless of where those goods are manufactured, there will be a requirement for infrastructure and jobs within the United States to support their distribution.

Air-freight, for example, requires highly trained (and federally regulated) pilots, mechanics, dispatchers, air-traffic controllers, etc. Along with lower-skilled (but still fairly compensated) cargo haulers.

Once freight has been delivered to the country there is a requirement for trucking and/or rail transport both of which require specialized diesel mechanics. As that infrastructure ages transportation engineers are required to design newer, more modern roadways, railroads, engines, etc.

When those new technologies are ready to be implemented training must occur. Highly skilled subject matter experts will be required to train the people who will operate the machinery.

Each of these people will also be compensated according to the market demand for their skill-set. And they too will become consumers... so to stick with the transportation theme, those consumers will purchase, for example, vacations. (airline jobs, government jobs, airport service jobs).

Upon their arrival at their destination they require additional services (hotel employees, rental-car employees, buss drivers, taxicabs, restaurant workers, theme-park employees)

Consumers drive the economy and although we are moving more towards a service economy vs. a manufacturing economy there are still jobs with excellent compensation for Americans to pursue.

The catch is that those jobs will require the commitment to higher education. It will become more and more challenging and competitive to seek out those positions. No longer can an assemblyline worker punch a timeclock for 30 years and retire with a pension -- his wages were artificially manipulated by the unions.

Our youth of today will have to work harder and smarter to get ahead. It won't be easy, but there is opportunity there for those who seek it.

And when they earn the almighty dollar, they too will choose how and where to spend (or save) it.

If they choose Wal-Mart they will be supporting not only the 1.8 million Wal-Mart employees, but also the 3 million employees of Wal-Mart's 61,000 US suppliers.

According to author Ryan Sager, "Our views of markets are a funny thing. When Wal-Mart's aggressive tactics put the squeeze on toy or underwear makers or "mom and pop" stores, we're told the company is destroying the middle class and the American way of life. Yet when it's making meds affordable to the poor and uninsured (re: new prescription drug program), the company's seen as doing a selfless public service.

In truth, Wal-Mart isn't doing a public service in either case - it's acting as any capitalist corporation should, trying to maximize its profits. And in both cases, it's offering a benefit to the public in terms of low prices. That's what the free market is. That's what the free market does."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well said and true!
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #80

For some years now the U.S trucking and bus industries have been hard pressed to find "Qualified" diesel and truck mechanics.

Not nearly enough young people want to start at the bottom, be apprentices and progress up to Journeyman.

The bus industry is what I am familiar with and for 32 years I saw the quality of drivers and mechanics going down hill.

It was a feather in your cap if you were chosen by Greyhound to train for up to 3 months and still you were at the bottom of the seniority list.

Now in a few short weeks [or less] you can be a certified bus driver.

In 1972 my class of drivers was chosen from 5000 applicants. 80 were picked and 35 made it to the training in NYC.

In the last 27 years I watched as a Bus Driver went from a respected PROFESSION to a "Oh, you drive a bus for a living". Too sad.

In the last 5 years of driving I was amking less then I did in 1976.

The word among many bus companies now is "Drivers are a dime a dozen".

I worked in a shop for the last 5 years and I saw the "Professional mechaincs come and go when the employers paid the the wage of a novice.

Your lives and the lives of your childrens safety depends on save commercial vehicles. Their are many, many braking systems on the road today that were worked on by people who didn't give a dam about safety.

I have been a witness to some terrrfing conditions of brake systems and other thing in recent years.

If we are to be mainly a Service Oriented Industry we better shape up.

So in saying that America will be a Service Oriented Industry then we better find better SERVERS.

The majority of kids are NOT going to college or other higher education,
so how are you going to train people to be experts in their trade and take great pride in what they do?

There is a great shortage of skilled workers in this country. Talk to companies and see who they are having to hire to get the work done.

College grads don't spend 4+ years and a hundred thousand dollars to be a plumber, air conditioning tech or electrician.

Si, ablo englas. They are working had to get better at what they do and have a GOAL. too many Americans have no goal. They only need enough for a car, drugs and video games.

Some one needs to wake up in America!!

Walmart stock and Oil stock is what helps us live the American Dream on the road.

Shop WM, i need the money for RV Parks.