Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #1

Big Box Mart...................
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #2

Big Box Mart...................
Old 01-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #3

???????????????????????????????????
Old 01-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Exactly why i do not support Wal-Mart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Since your choice of trucks did'nt work out, why should your choice of stores?????

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #5

I don't support Walmart because they are awful. Sure, the first few years in a town when they have a bit of competition they are ok, but as soon as everything else is run out of business, they are bad neighbors. Dirty stores, rude employees, junk products. And if you take the time to do a little research, you'll find those great deals aren't really that great.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Walmart doesn't treat their employees very well and that might explain their rude behavior. This is not true of all big box stores. Costco treats their employees well and they are almost always cheerful and helpful.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi all,
I have nothing to gain nor do I want to be flamed for my response! However I can only judge Wal-Mart by my own shopping experences. I have been in many of them in many different states, and have never had any trouble or bad experences. Also any time I seeked the help of a employee I got it with no trouble, and they were cheerful about doing it. I can also say that I never heard any of them complaining about being mistreated.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...And if you take the time to do a little research, you'll find those great deals aren't really that great... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I have been in many of them in many different states... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the "deals" aren't really deals. But the great thing about them is the same as with any other large chain. I like the Super Wal-Marts because no matter what town & state we are in (or passing thru), I know that I can stop (usually really late at night) and buy whatever it is that I need without having to search all over a strange town trying to find the stores I need (usually after they have all closed) and the prices are generally pretty close to what I am used to paying. Ditto for K-Mart. It's the reason we always eat at Cracker Barrels. We know what to expect.

When we got down here (Panama City Beach) we stopped in at the Wal-Mart down the road to pick up the stuff I forgot to pack (I always forget to pack several things) along with a few groceries (we're staying in a friend's beach house). A few days later we had found the various grocery stores (imagine my surprise to find 2 Winn Dixie stores here... Our WD was one of the ones they closed).

Why is it that you never hear folks complaining about the McDonalds or Burger Kings coming in and depriving the local greasy spoons of their customers (BTW, I NEVER eat at those two places as I don't like their food). Just an observation.

To be frank (which I'd rather be Lorna, less confusing ), I really don't care if some folks don't like Wal-Marts, etc. It's their choice to spend their money where ever they want. Same reason we choose to stay in Public Parks as opposed to staying in Private Campgrounds. There are lots of choices out there for lots of folks.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I know there have been news articles regarding the employment conditions at Walmart. I googled Walmart and employment and found some articles.
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._walmart.shtml
http://www.union-network.org/unisite/sectors/commerce/M...paign_index_page.htm
They have had discrimination suits filled against them. Now I believe in free enterprise and I also believe Americans in particular (including myself) buy too much stuff. Walmart caters to that and consumers buy into it. I just think they should treat their employees well. Walmart and the Walton family does just fine for themselves. In my opinion, they can take care of their workers so that we the taxpayers don't have to pick up their slack. True for any other company that tries to squeeze their profits from their employees.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Wal-Mart is OK. I am old enough to remember when Sears was the retailer that would never be beaten. Same for K-Mart. Market forces will prevail in this great country and Wal-Mart will do it's thing, adapt to changing conditions, or go into history like the other big chains. For now we do like some of Wal-Marts benefits to us as customers.

If anyone choses not to shop Wal-Mart, it's OK. In the long run it will work out.

REMEMBER that you do not have to purchase items made outside the US at Wal-Mart. They are marked and there are lots of things for sale that support American workers.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #11

Couch and Al,

I invite you to spend some time in our WalMart. On Briarcrest Drive in Bryan, Texas. It's so bad we won't go back. The comercials about the star employee helping someone deliver a swing set in the rain without pay aint working here. We have about 48 registers and rarely will there ever be more than 3 in use, and the 3 people working them have got to be the slowest people on the planet. And the lady that has to come when the trouble light is on is even slower. If that ever happens in front of you, you'd be better off walking away from your basket in line and starting your shopping over at a diffrent store.

The restroom floors are stained in front of all the fixtures from lack of cleaning. The products are all dusty and alot of them out of stock, except for the more expensive items.

It used to be a good store, like what the adds and comercial said, untill they ran everyone else out of business and they don't have to be good anymore. That's why they are prospering and that is thier business plan.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #12

Don't forget Sams is the same company. Our Sams ins't too bad although they used to have a bug zapper in the deli area. Advice: never eat there. Sometimes if you look at the right angle, I think it's still there, just not in plain sight.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What happen to not getting personal on this forum. Everyone is intittled to their opinions, but not attacks.

Let's chill-------
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #14

My Gawd! I am not against Wal*Mart. My wife is, but we still shop at Wal*Mart because of the pricing and selection. My wife is against their importing from China. Granted, a lot of is is trash, but they also have brand names from the U.S. as well and they are less expensive than other places. This is a free enterprise country and I support that...I spent 20 years in the Navy in support of this concept. If other businesses go out of business because they can't beat Wal*Mart prices, then they need to take another look at what they are charging. When you can by a HP computer for hundreds less than others are charging, it says something. It says that maybe the others are charging too much...trying to get rich off one customer. You can bet Wal*Mart isn't taking a loss. They know that if they sell more at a lower price, in the long run they make more money and have a steady customer.

Compare prices of the same things you buy at Camping World with the same identical products at Wal*Mart. Are you going to buy at Camping World and spend more $$$ because you don't like Wal*Mart? It's your choice.

I agree that all Wal*Marts are not equal, also. They have different managers and that affects how a store looks. I've been in a lot of K-Marts, Sears, and even chain grocery stores and believe me, they are not equal. If you have a store in your area that's not up-to-par, complain to headquarters...I'm sure things will change then.

As for Wal*Mart employees, nobody breaks their arms to sign up to be an employee. It's their choice. If they don't like it, leave and go elsewhere. I'm sure Wal*Mart pays a bit less than others...they have to in order to keep prices low. This is America where you have a choice.

If you don't like Wal*Mart that's fine, but you don't have to get upset at those who prefer to shop at Wal*Mart.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote