Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #15

We are going to go to our bank and ask about a debit card and using it in Canada. Seems like an ATM might be the best approach assuming the fee aren't killer.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #16

I would be careful using a debit card, just my opinion.
If you use US cash anywhere, you are at mercy of the merchant--lots of them do 1:1 exchange, a ripoff to you. If you are going to use cash, get Canadian dollars. Another quirk--no pennies in Canada, everything is rounded to nearest nickel.
Still think best bet is a credit card with no conversion fee.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #17

You could also just use US cash. Most places and people will accept it at par with no exchange fees.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #18

On our two trips through Canada to Alaska (and a third trip way up north east) changing US currency was not a problem. Went to a Costco or Walmart on the Canada side and exchanged monies. As mentioned above many (maybe all) of the businesses along the major route accept US currency. That said I'd still change $100 or so to Canada currency just to have it in case of emergency.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I would be careful using a debit card, just my opinion.
If you use US cash anywhere, you are at mercy of the merchant--lots of them do 1:1 exchange, a ripoff to you. If you are going to use cash, get Canadian dollars. Another quirk--no pennies in Canada, everything is rounded to nearest nickel.
Still think best bet is a credit card with no conversion fee.
Joe
Why is it a ripoff? I would never consider asking to use Canadian dollars in the US.
Best bet is to use an ATM for the currency of the country you are in. Credit card is also good choice if you do not need cash in hand.

By the way debit cards in most countries is the best way to, the US is way behind on this technology.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post
You could also just use US cash. Most places and people will accept it at par with no exchange fees.
I'm sure most places or people will (unfortunately), as they will be making an extra 30% (give or take) over the price of the item or service they are selling to you.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #21

Exchanging US Currency to Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post

By the way debit cards in most countries is the best way to, the US is way behind on this technology.

True that. The US debit cards are just fine! Some folks don't know how well they improved security and versatility. Debit all the way for us, on the entire continent.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post
Why is it a ripoff? I would never consider asking to use Canadian dollars in the US.

Best bet is to use an ATM for the currency of the country you are in. Credit card is also good choice if you do not need cash in hand.

One Canadian dollar in the US is worth about 70 to 75 cents, so it is unlikely that many US merchants would be willing to take that cut in whatever they are selling. On the other hand, one US dollar is worth $1.25 to $1.30 when offered in Canada, so any business that is only accepting it "at par", is taking advantage of the customer, in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
One Canadian dollar in the US is worth about 70 to 75 cents, so it is unlikely that many US merchants would be willing to take that cut in whatever they are selling. On the other hand, one US dollar is worth $1.25 to $1.30 when offered in Canada, so any business that is only accepting it "at par", is taking advantage of the customer, in my opinion.

Technically, yes. We will be up there in August, using debit for most purchases, and US$ for blueberries and such. A trip to exchange is not worth it for chump change. My friends to the North like the benefit, and we gladly give it.
Just my view from the saddle

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #24

We did not have an issue using US dollars at at even exchange when we were in Canada. We crossed the border on a Sunday and could not find a place to exchange money. We stopped for the night in Granum, Alberta and there was only an old fashioned fuel station with no pay at the pump. They only took cash or debit card. We went to use our debit card and it would not work even though we called our bank before heading north. The station would take an even exchange of US dollars (no one in the US would ever take foreign currency). They even allowed us to leave and return with the cash later. We were thankful that we could do this and did not worry about the difference in exchange rates. We also used US dollars at provincial parks when we did not have the exact change in Canadian currency.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #25

Each person can do with the currency what they are comfortable with. I don't like giving up 20-30% on any transaction just for convenience. 4 years ago, using US dollars worked well, as the exchange rate was almost even. I do wonder if the USD was 30% less than the CaD, would they also do the even exchange on purchases?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #26

Thought I would update. Just spoke to AAA and they told me that they can get cash for me at the current exchange rate and don't charge fees for the service (members only). That may be the route I take, but you need 3-5 business days to obtain the funds.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #27

Exchanging US Currency to Canadian

We use our CU Visa CC. No charge on exchange rate. Beyond that, a few US bucks for blueberries is no big deal. Just have fun

Old 07-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
A few years back, the Cdn dollar was more than the US dollar, I cannot think of 1 US merchant accepting Cdn dollars back then so your initial point is not valid.

Secondly, you are still using a foreign currency and it is up to the merchant to provide the exchange they want. If you do not like it, go to your bank and exchange foreign currency. Do not expect people in other countries to do your work for you.