Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who handles the checkbook / bills?
Hubby 28 38.89%
Wifey 25 34.72%
Joint effort 17 23.61%
none of the above 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #15

I worked in accounts payable & took care of employee expense reports... if the receipts aren't there, you're not getting paid. Guess it stuck cause it bugs the crap out of me to only find out about charges when I check the account online... ugh! I hate to put another thing on him as he does so much, but I just can't get him to give me receipts consistantly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #16

Who handles the finances.

When we got married 28 yrs ago I told DH to figure out how much of the check is left over after paying the bills. He set up an envelope system and when the car ins. comes due the $ is there. I write upa check when a bill comes in the mail. No trying to put this off. Say day bill arives in the mail I immediately sit down and write a check. Never had to pay a late fee.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I manage three departments at a hospital so I am happy to entrust the family finances to the DW. She does great and I never worry or question her. It always balances out to the penny.

I do manage the long term investments but day to day is the hard part. We compliment each other.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm single so guess who handles the finances? There's not much to it. I don't owe anyone anything. The only check I write anymore is for the combined rent/utility bill. the cable internet and auto insurance is paid by autowithdrawal. My pension and SS is autodeposit. All I really have to do is write the one check and look at the accounts from time to time to make sure nothing is wonky.

When I was married, my ex and I would switch off, generally right after an argument (Ok, you do it if you think you can do better!).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #19

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The wife is better at operational expenses and I am better at long term investments.
Exactly how we do it. I handle day to day bills and the checkbook, he handles investments and long term finances. And car insurance. Can't stand car insurance.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
DW is an accountant and handles all the day to day expenses. We just fell into the routine and it works.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #21
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I do everything financial for us. DW keeps the "house" in order and well stocked but I'm the one who watches over where we are and where we're going financially. We've found that doing it this way plays to both of our strengths.

Rick
Same arrangement for us.

I made the decision to do it this way when my wife came home with a placard that said....

"How to motivate your husband?.....Spend more than he makes"!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Have seen to many cases Mrs can't handle money if husband always did it. So she does it all. But I do keep an eye on things as she dosn't always see problems. Still takes two to tango
Ditto
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do, because I "run things" in my household. I run the lawnmower, the vacuum cleaner, clothes washer, etc. I also make all the big decisions that affect our household. You know, whether we will invade Russia or Iran, etc. The DW handles all the other decisions. Seriously though, up to a few years ago, when I retired, the DW took care of all the bills, even though we both brought home a paycheck. Then her arthritic hands hurt too much, writing checks, so I took over. When we bought our MH, I totally changed to a computerized banking/bill/paying system and have "streamlined" the system. Now, we seldom write checks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #24

Obama is watching!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
DW handles ours. If I did it, I wouldn't be retiring in a month.
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #26

Can't stand autopay. I pay mine through the bank website, except for the mortgage which I write a check for because it takes my bank 5 days to send it a couple hundred miles away.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #27

What few bill we have are managed jointly by the wife, the computer and me. We have used the Bank of America Bill Pay feature for years and prior to that a computer program called Check Free. We also incorporate the direct billing feature our Sears Mastercard. We try to pay as many bills as possible with the credit card because we earn points with it. We pay the card off in full every month when it is due via the online banking feature.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't care as long as the bills get paid. My wife does the billing/documentation for loaded grain ships headed overseas. Now if she'd just remember to pay our bills on time!
Seems like she can't remember to pay the Civic payment on time. Guess we need to write a check and pay it off, got too much money in the two checking accounts anyway.
Now that's a problem I'd like to have Mr_D!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote