Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who handles the checkbook / bills?
Hubby 28 38.89%
Wifey 25 34.72%
Joint effort 17 23.61%
none of the above 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk

You're joking, right?
Sadly... No.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I said joint effort, but the way we jointly handle the finances is...
I make the money and it is direct deposited to my account...

Then she spends it.

So I guess that is a joint effort.

Ken
Now, Ken. I seem to remember some Ham radios in your trunk. I suspect that she isn't the only one that spends

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Can't stand autopay. I pay mine through the bank website, except for the mortgage which I write a check for because it takes my bank 5 days to send it a couple hundred miles away.
Ditto. I don't want someone in control of debiting me. I allowed the newspaper to debit my credit card and the next thing that I knew, they had racked up several unauthorized charges. It won't happen again.

Bank of America has been flawless with bill pay. I've had them since they were Nation's Bank in 1996 and have never had a single problem. They've even dived in when a couple of the merchants that I paid through them had problems and straightened the merchant out.

I drive the BOA payments with Quicken. Since I have such a long history with Quicken, I barely type more than a few letters and the payment is pre-filled and ready to go. I handle everything the day that it arrives and setup up future dates. No muss, no fuss. I've also got all of the bill statements that can going to BOA where I read them online. The rest come to my e-mail. We could be on the road for months and I could handle all bill payment remotely. Quicken reporting and budgeting have gotten a lot better over the years.

Since all of this stuff happens with the computer and my DW isn't fond of using it, I get to do it. I backup the Quicken file to her computer so she can see everything, too.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I said joint effort, but the way we jointly handle the finances is...
I make the money and it is direct deposited to my account...

Then she spends it.

So I guess that is a joint effort.

Ken
We're pretty much the same. We split everything 50/50. She tells me what to do, and I do it!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #47

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Ditto. I don't want someone in control of debiting me. I allowed the newspaper to debit my credit card and the next thing that I knew, they had racked up several unauthorized charges. It won't happen again...
I've used auto-deduction for years and have never had a problem. Of course, I'm cautious about who I let do that; even if the mobile home court I live in offered it, I wouldn't trust them any further than I could spit upwind in a stiff breeze!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I've used auto-deduction for years and have never had a problem.
Ditto here.

Quicken is a wonderful thing and monthly updates quickly reveal if anything is amiss. I have pretty much everything possible on auto pay. It relieves me of a responsibility I really dislike and helps keep my credit score from taking a hit because I'm a forgetful, procrastinating idiot sometimes.

The only "problem" I've had is with auto renewals of subscriptions, etc. If I want to cancel I have to catch it as soon as they send the reminder out or I end up renewing something that I wanted to cancel.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #49

Spouse and I keep our finance separate. We do not even have any joint accounts. He pays his bills and I am responsible for mine. We also have an agreement on who pays certain expenses. I pay for campgrounds and he pays for diesel. I pay for groceries and he pays for dining out. We have common savings goals and once all our obligations are met we each have our own money to spend as we please. We have never had an argument concerning money.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ditto here.

Quicken is a wonderful thing and monthly updates quickly reveal if anything is amiss. I have pretty much everything possible on auto pay. It relieves me of a responsibility I really dislike and helps keep my credit score from taking a hit because I'm a forgetful, procrastinating idiot sometimes.

The only "problem" I've had is with auto renewals of subscriptions, etc. If I want to cancel I have to catch it as soon as they send the reminder out or I end up renewing something that I wanted to cancel.

Rick
Yep and there are those organizations who get the billing wrong - and you have to fight them to get your money back because of auto-pay. I realize that there are a lot of bills sent correctly so the risk is pretty low. Still, I like to see what I'm paying. There isn't a chance for me to forget as long as I pay the bill the day that it arrives. Plus, it keeps the paperwork floating around to a minimum.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
I pay the bills the day they come in. At least I tell the Bank to send a check to cover them. My wife does the household shopping and balances the checking account and does the taxes. We put almost everything on one Credit Card and pay it off every month. I keep the running balance on a post-it note on the computer monitor so we both can see how were doing for the month. Since we don't have any bills other than routine monthly stuff like food, electric, gas (both kinds) this works out pretty well. No Coach payments, no mortgage, haven't borrowed in over ten years, if we need a new car we save till we can buy it.
The deal works, we have some cross check and are always mindful of what were spending. So far we both have been able to make good decisions when we want to buy something. I buy more toys and she buys more girly stuff, works for us.

It wasn't always like this. It took a lot of years of carefull management to get us to retirement. But we found out things are a lot less expensive when you wait till you have the money to buy something. by the time we had the cash we were really sure we wanted or needed the item. Also paying off the house in fourteen years instead of thirty put a lot of money in our pockets that would have gone down the drain.
Monitoring from either of us isn't required, It keeps peace in the house
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #52

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ditto here.

Rick
Subscription renewals are one thing I will never use auto pay for.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #53

House paid off in 14 years! wow, congrats! I wish we could but we've prioritzed differently, but who knows what the future may bring.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
We're pretty much the same. We split everything 50/50. She tells me what to do, and I do it!

Thats the same way about driving. She tells me every turn to make and all I have to do is turn the steering wheel and push on the brake peddle.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #55

I use Quicken for all my finances and it sure makes things easy. Most everything is paid online and we write only one or two actual checks per month. When time for taxes, I just print out some reports and everything is all categorized and ready to go.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Hubby and I share it out pretty evenly. We're both very like-minded in our financial approach -> always saved at least 50% of our income when we had stix jobs and been frugal in our spending lifelong. Now we actively manage our investments and still aim to save each year. I do monthly budget and keep the books. Hubby does investing (and blogs on it too). We do everything online and discuss all major financial decisions.

Honestly getting a man that shares my financial outlook was a major decision in my choice of partner. Don't think I could have married a guy who didn't think like me in this aspect. Money don't buy happiness, but money disagreements can sure ruin any relationship.