Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who handles the checkbook / bills?
Hubby 28 38.89%
Wifey 25 34.72%
Joint effort 17 23.61%
none of the above 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #57

Save 50% of your income! Wow, a job paying that well would sure keep money arguements at bay. But DH being home early sure has its plus side for me. Now to find a way to get my cake & eat it too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand
Save 50% of your income! Wow, a job paying that well would sure keep money arguements at bay. But DH being home early sure has its plus side for me. Now to find a way to get my cake & eat it too.
Well I've saved 50% since my very first job as a cleaning lady at the age of 17 when I left home...it's not how much you earn, but how you choose to use it. Of course we never had kids (other than the furry kind) so that does free up some $$.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #59

who: My CFO (the wife)
why: I don't think she wants me to know how much we have in the bank since I would more then likely upgrade our TT, and TV, but it works and both are happy campers!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #60

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt

Well I've saved 50% since my very first job as a cleaning lady at the age of 17 when I left home...it's not how much you earn, but how you choose to use it. Of course we never had kids (other than the furry kind) so that does free up some $$.
Good for you Nina wish I would have done that, But I got to say only having fur kids saves a Lot of $$$ not just some.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, have 4 children, and saving will be a luxury. But after college saving is possible. Once you've raised and schooled them, don't let them ruin your retirement!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #62

Fifty percent is great. One of our daughters has chosen that route. While I don't know the percentage, I do know that both earn six figures and yet, the first time we visited their new house, Mom and I went out and purchased a bed frame to get the mattresses of the floor! They plan to retire in their mid forties, I believe, and unless the economy goes into total collapse, I think they will be able to.

They have no kids, so there's a half a mil right there!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #63

Also, just because you are retired and on a fixed income, does not mean that you have to stop saving. We pay to our savings first and if we have any money left over from the month, that also goes into savings. We start each month with the money we receive from our respective retirements and only have that to spend unless we encounter an emergency.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk
Fifty percent is great. One of our daughters has chosen that route. While I don't know the percentage, I do know that both earn six figures and yet, the first time we visited their new house, Mom and I went out and purchased a bed frame to get the mattresses of the floor! They plan to retire in their mid forties, I believe, and unless the economy goes into total collapse, I think they will be able to.

They have no kids, so there's a half a mil right there!
Awesome! Tell her that was exactly our goal and that's exactly what we achieved and why we're currently able to fulltime RV in our early 40's. It's not everyone's choice and I totally respect that, but for those that want it and make the life choices (and sacrifices) to pursue it, it's a totally doable goal.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Yes, have 4 children, and saving will be a luxury. But after college saving is possible. Once you've raised and schooled them, don't let them ruin your retirement!
Why not let them pay their own college tuition/expenses? Both DH's daughters got jobs and paid their own way, as did my son. Just curious as to why some people feel they owe their children college educations.
Educating children can really put a dent in the parent's savings, future and lifestyle.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #66

We are probably lower middle class (I don't know the qualifications) and there is pretty much no way we will be paying for college educations. My parents weren't able to pay for mine but I started working full time at the age of 17 and became a productive citizen. I've suggested that my daughter go into the military so that she will receive training that can be used after the military & she can also go to college.

We are pretty much a 1 income family with 2 children (a teenager & a 5 y/o). We have made a lot of sacrafices for me to be able to stay home with the kids, but this is what works for us, this is the way we were raised. Both of our moms were SAHM's and we know the value of that.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #67

We put our three through college and none came home afterwards and all could now support us if it was necessary, which it isn't. Still, they all had jobs during school for spending money. But they all finished in the 90s and still tuition was expensive.

I went to a Jesuit university in the 60s, actually had professors rather than TAs in most classes and tuition was, well, about the cost of what we paid for books for our children. Something's wrong today, as costs have increased hugely the last decade. I'm guessing if we forbade student loans, profs would go back into the classrooms and competition would force costs to a reasonable level.

Sorry to get so far off the subject.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #68

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ex controlled both his salary and mine. Once I was out of that controlling environment, swore it would not happen again. We both pay a percentage of the expenses based on our income. For example, when my salary increased by 12%, after I increased the savings, I took on that amount of the bills. We have complete access to each others accounts and it is easy to transfer monies online, if needed. It all comes down to complete trust for US. It works for us also because our income is almost identical.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Many of the posts in this thread have confirmed a perception I've held for a long time... that many couples keep his and hers money separate.

This has not been something I've ever done and I'm curious.

Does this ever present a problem when doing things or making plans as a couple? What if "he" wants to go to a nice place for dinner and "she" can't afford it... or go on a nice vacation, etc? How about retirement? Are each on their own and expected to pay their own way once retired too?

A couple we know quite well works under the his and hers money arrangement. He is about to retire but she is nowhere close to being able to. He says he'll just be spending a lot of time at their cabin fishing. Just struck me as odd since retirement is such a wonderful thing to share as a couple.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #70

I wondered the same thing Rick. Also, what if one is a spender and the other isn't. Does one ever have to bail out the other when they don't have their money for bills? How do you decide who pays for mutually used things?