Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who handles the checkbook / bills?
Hubby 28 38.89%
Wifey 25 34.72%
Joint effort 17 23.61%
none of the above 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Can't stand autopay. I pay mine through the bank website, except for the mortgage which I write a check for because it takes my bank 5 days to send it a couple hundred miles away.
Granted, your way is better but I have ADD. If I had to take care of more than one check a month, it most likely wouldn't happen (until I started using autopay, I was always late with payments). As it is, I have two checking/debit accounts. One is for everyday use (I use the debit card for everything and let the credit union maintain my "checkbook"). The other is strictly for bills, all of which are autopay except for one monthly bill that I have to write a check for (rent/utilities; and if I don't pay it the minute I get it, it will get forgotten), my annual homeowner's insurance, and my truck tags (the latter two I pay online as soon as I get the bill). I go online a few times a week to make sure nothing goes pear shaped (I normally have little activity so it only takes a quick look). Going to my credit union's website every month to pay my bills would be more than I could handle.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #30

When we first got married, I was the financial boss. It didn't work out, so after 3 months she became the boss. On major decisions I am in charge and on minor decisions, she is in charge. In 46 years, we still haven't had any major decisions yet, but when one comes in, I am ready.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #31

[QUOTEOn major decisions I am in charge and on minor decisions, she is in charge][/QUOTE]

Ditto. Major decisions like whether man made global warming is real, whether there are truly aliens in outer space, and how the US can get our deficit under control are my decisions. Minor ones like where our winter home will be, what kind of motorhome we will drive, whether we need a new towd or not, and where the kids went to school were DWs choices. Left to my own devices, I might buy a fire truck on my way home from work (I really did that).

Seriously, I handle the day to day bookkeeping (balancing accounts, pay bills, etc). Financial decisions (how much savings, major expenses, etc) are joint decisions. Each of us has our own funds we take care of but our family financial decisions are shared.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #32

We've decided that DH doesn't need another task to do, his job (at times) has him pulling his hair out already. Plus it just wasn't sitting well (had me sick to my stomach) to be completely out of the loop when it came to bill paying, balancing the checkbook & budgeting.

Hoping that once I start working again (end of this month) having fun money won't be such an issue and then that money can go into accounts that don't require balancing / receipts.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love the " major decisions" thing. We all know who is better at what, but we always have to keep asking, who is really better suited, and who really wants to take cre of day to day finances. I think the best relationships come from complete trust in each other.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I said joint effort, but the way we jointly handle the finances is...
I make the money and it is direct deposited to my account...

Then she spends it.

So I guess that is a joint effort.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I said joint effort, but the way we jointly handle the finances is...
I make the money and it is direct deposited to my account...

Then she spends it.

So I guess that is a joint effort.

Ken
Works for us.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #36

Would love to help out... with the spending part that is!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #37

We each have our own account and each has designated bills that are paid from account. We have a joint traveling / emergency account that we both put money into used exclusively for MH and emergencies. Has worked so far.
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #38

I handle the finances. My wife would have made us rich, but I need my toys!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I handle everything.

And every time she does something i don't like, she puts that one more thing on my plate....

She'd much rather blame me than take action and responsibility.
That really explains my children.

I almost left last week, but i couldn't find my wallet.
When i slunk back home and started unpacking, i found the wallet, in my underwear drawer in the motorhome.... :(
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #40
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
he pays the bills online, I balance the checkbook.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I handle everything.

And every time she does something i don't like, she puts that one more thing on my plate....

She'd much rather blame me than take action and responsibility.
That really explains my children.

I almost left last week, but i couldn't find my wallet.
When i slunk back home and started unpacking, i found the wallet, in my underwear drawer in the motorhome.... :(
You're joking, right?
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #42

Ours is a joint effort, DW pays the bills but I plan everything out. Mine is a rolling plan that spans two years and is split up weekly. It lists all income and expenses, and keeps a running total. It makes it easy to see how deviating will impact things done the road. It may seem anal, but it sure lets you know how making a major purchase will effect your lifestyle.
dataylor is offline   Reply With Quote