Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Ok road warriors
I am curious about my health issues and any suggestions on pushing back against aging.
I am sneaking up on big 70 and I am slowing down too much for my satisfaction. I mentioned to my doctor that in the last year I give out early, lack of stamina, etc. I fight bad back issues, loss of motion in neck and turning head, type II diabetes. Doc did blood work and said ok but very low testosterone level was all that he saw. My problem is I get up full of energy and by 3:00 in the afternoon I am done. That now includes driving the motorhome 9-3. I take breaks driving every 2 hours driving, but where I used to drive until 5 or 6 oclock, now it is more like drive 9-11, break, drive 11-1 then lunch break, drive 2-3 or 3:30 and I am exhausted. Is this just the aging process? What does everyone do to combat this? I enjoy a nap at home, but I don't always have that luxury on the road.
How's your fatigue and stamina doing? I hope things have improved for you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm 40 and driving 9am to 6pm wears me out!

I think you should give yourself some credit I would also highly recommend that you just evaluate the way you take care of yourself each day, and especially the foods you eat.

I would dare you to try something different, and cut your diet of processed foods, wheat, rice, potatoes, flour, beer (unless a gluten free variety - and trust me.. i love beer), and cut any beans (except green beans)

I know it sounds stupid, but the way foods are made today can seriously put your body in a slump.

That leaves you eating chicken (not fried), pork, beef (pastured only), turkey, fish + plus a variety of vegetables. And if you hate those things, well.. you'll eat less, which in turn will actually make you feel better anyway

You never did quite address your weight and diet. But this I know, whenever you are now, there's always room for improvement.

And I discovered i LOVE turkey burgers, no bread, just the meat, cooked in a skillet like a burger patty, with some avocado on the side ... or ground turkey cooked like taco meat and wrapped in lettuce instead of a tortilla - pretty darn good, and good for you!
"If it tastes good - spit it out".

Moderation in all things is likely the best thing to do. Reducing the amount of highly processed food may be the way to go but many times the additions are vitamins and minerals.

There are so many theories going around that it seems we will be able to try a new diet every few months for a long time. Veggan, protien, etc. There seems to be no reasonable middle ground and we tend to deprive ourselves until we slip off of the wagon and then binge.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey, it sure beats the alternative!!!! Keep on Truckin!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
then there is the 3-3-3 rule of thumb... 300 miles, 3 days and I forgot the other one...
Don't drive more than 300 miles, stay for 3 days and???? a lot of full timers do that as well as other folks.....makes the journey easier and the time more enjoyable if you don't absolutely just have to be somewhere... you get to explore the little areas around too!
When DH is with me... we don't do it that way, he's a get there and sleep person... i prefer to enjoy the journey, and do when I'm driving, although I do drive faster than he does
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
then there is the 3-3-3 rule of thumb... 300 miles, 3 days and I forgot the other one...
Don't drive more than 300 miles, stay for 3 days and???? a lot of full timers do that as well as other folks.....makes the journey easier and the time more enjoyable if you don't absolutely just have to be somewhere... you get to explore the little areas around too!
When DH is with me... we don't do it that way, he's a get there and sleep person... i prefer to enjoy the journey, and do when I'm driving, although I do drive faster than he does
The other 3... (or 2...) arrive by... you can then be set up, showered and ready for happy hour.... whatever that means to you.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #34
IC2

I guess after reading this I'm far from alone in my stamina loss. Yep, I'm over 70 (howinhel did I get THAT ancient??) and was doing fine up to last December with my work and drive days. I had a blood pressure 'event' that spiked it over 200/160. Made my first abulance ride and first ever night in a hospital. The staff and doctors did all the required testing and found no problems - just a spike for some reason. They put me on a BP med that in my estimation along with internet research show to be a beta blocker with nasty side effects - atenenol. This med will cause effects that are loss of stamina, chest pain, joint aches along with the 3:00 slump. I've been fighting with the doctor to try something else. His choice was cold turkey - quit taking it. You can't do that! Next week we are going face to face about that pill and what it is trying to do to my life - and if he hasn't done his homework, he will be 'replaced'.

As far as what I eat - usually only good stuff. No artificial colors or flavors, as low a salt content as practical, no sweeteners or other chemicals I can't pronounce or recognize and a single beer per evening just because I can. My exercise - that could be better, but my weight is well within my size , but I could lose 10 pounds

Truck driving time hauling the 5er - we try to start by 9:00-10:00AM and finish by 3-4:00PM including set up which is 3-350 miles, but sometimes less or occasionally a bit more and we do stop for rests. The car on a trip - that gets a bit longer and further
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #35

At 67, I've been taking 3 Ibuprofen every morning every day; helps shake out the creaks in the body. Was at the driving range and talking with a new guy, and he asked if I drank coffee and alcohol...after which he suggested two things to me.
1. don't take Ibuprofen (or other pain killers)in the morning; your activities will loosen you up. Take it at night, so as your mind rests, your body is getting help repairing itself.
2. take Magnesium for shaky nerves and joint pain. It's cheap, and worth a try.

Gotta tell ya, it works. I cut down two trees yesterday, and feeling no aches and pains at all this morning.

So far, haven't hit any wall at the end of the day. Still in bed by 9 and up at daybreak. We don't care to drive at night, so stopped by 4 or 5 in summer, 3 in winter.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two things I will comment on.

First: Per assorted sources (mostly ads) Low T (Testosterone) will cause you to run out of steam early. Mine last tested normal.. I still run out of steam, So what do I know about that (Actually nothing)

Next time you go to take a shower,, Sit a bit.. On your lower leg, about half way between knee and ankle, using your thumb or finger, press, fairly hard.. Hold 1 second and release.. Does a "Dent" remain or does it quickly go back to normal?

IF a dent remains, go tell your doctor.. In you can move closer to the ankle like 1" above it, if the dent remains, tell your doctor.

Since I'm not a doctor I can not tell you more than the above.

IN my case the dent remained dang near all the way to the hip.. Doctor fixed it. The lower the dent, the higher the energy level.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You did mention "bad back pain" and osteoarthritis.....Pain can cause depression and fatigue. Ask your doctor about a trial RX of a mild anti-depressant. Might help pain and boost energy level.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

IF a dent remains, go tell your doctor.. In you can move closer to the ankle like 1" above it, if the dent remains, tell your doctor.

I need to pass that tip along and see how it works with our friends. I'd say that my energy level is good, and I don't see much dent until about 4" north of the ankle, that goes away in 5 seconds. 1" and the depression stays for over 30 seconds. Not deep, but I can see the divot.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two things I will comment on.

First: Per assorted sources (mostly ads) Low T (Testosterone) will cause you to run out of steam early. Mine last tested normal.. I still run out of steam, So what do I know about that (Actually nothing)

Next time you go to take a shower,, Sit a bit.. On your lower leg, about half way between knee and ankle, using your thumb or finger, press, fairly hard.. Hold 1 second and release.. Does a "Dent" remain or does it quickly go back to normal?

IN my case the dent remained dang near all the way to the hip.. Doctor fixed it. The lower the dent, the higher the energy level.
Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. When you say a dent you really mean a dent, like a dent in the muscle that stays there? I tried it and couldn't get a dent anywhere, I guess that's a good thing.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #40

One reason for low stamina could be dehydration. Not only drink lots of water but spray it all over your exposed skin with a small spray bottle you can keep handy. Check this website for similar questions.
Could the dent formed in legs due to crossing be a matter of concern? - Doctor's insight on HealthcareMagic
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
At 67, I've been taking 3 Ibuprofen every morning every day; helps shake out the creaks in the body. Was at the driving range and talking with a new guy, and he asked if I drank coffee and alcohol...after which he suggested two things to me.
1. don't take Ibuprofen (or other pain killers)in the morning; your activities will loosen you up. Take it at night, so as your mind rests, your body is getting help repairing itself.
2. take Magnesium for shaky nerves and joint pain. It's cheap, and worth a try.

Gotta tell ya, it works. I cut down two trees yesterday, and feeling no aches and pains at all this morning.

So far, haven't hit any wall at the end of the day. Still in bed by 9 and up at daybreak. We don't care to drive at night, so stopped by 4 or 5 in summer, 3 in winter.
As to Magnesium, I x3 that. We take a quick powder called "Natural Calm" super easy to mix in some water, tastes fine, and helps you poop too. Was that TMI?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...natural%20calm
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
As to Magnesium, I x3 that. We take a quick powder called "Natural Calm" super easy to mix in some water, tastes fine, and helps you poop too. Was that TMI?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...natural%20calm
As recommended by my heart doc at the Heart Place. So yes... makes a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412969964013.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	76233   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412969988830.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	76234  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote