Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
No brownies, but try to have a glass of wine every day between 5 and 6! Enjoy touring and tasting on our travels. VA has really established some great winery s lately. May not enjoy all the wines offered, but usually find a couple at each stop. Really relaxing after a long day of driving.
I never enjoy all the wines offered either - just the reds...

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
This is quite a thread! I think there's a lot of great advice here, except the suggestion of trying out prescription drugs. If possible, do anything to avoid prescription drugs and their side effects. If your life depends in taking them then by all means continue. But to go to the doctor looking for a "magic pill"? Bad idea.

And as to cutting back to 300, or 150 days of driving?!? Did you mean the RV; or all driving; or is it that you just don't like to stay in one place?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
This is quite a thread! I think there's a lot of great advice here, except the suggestion of trying out prescription drugs. If possible, do anything to avoid prescription drugs and their side effects. If your life depends in taking them then by all means continue. But to go to the doctor looking for a "magic pill"? Bad idea.

And as to cutting back to 300, or 150 days of driving?!? Did you mean the RV; or all driving; or is it that you just don't like to stay in one place?
Hey #47 - how goes!

I think that was miles per day, not days per year. Lol.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hey #47 - how goes!

I think that was miles per day, not days per year. Lol.
Hey #2! Haha! No idea where I got that. Must be old age!!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post

I've cut back to 200-250 mi/day. We take a nice lunch break around noon and stop at rest stops along the way. I try not to drive continuously for more than one hour at a time. We put in at a campsite by 3-4 PM and then sit back and relax for the evening. We put in 2-3 days on the road and then stay at the next campsite for at least a couple of days. When we hit our destination area then we'll stay for a minimum of 5 days and can range up to a month or more. We take a lot of day trips to cover the whole area within about a 100 mile radius. Nice, easy way to enjoy the USA!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've read about 50% of this thread. It's interesting but this is my candid response!!

I'm 70 and closing in on 71. Have been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years. I have NO complications as a result of my diabetes. My circulation, eyes, feet, etc,etc are all working just fine. I was on pills for the first year then shots. I switched to an insulin pump about 20+ years ago.

I currently weigh 164 lbs. My exercise routine is/was: I run up hills in our out-in-the-country sub-division. I played full-field (120 yard fields) soccer until I was almost 60. I still run, swim, ride a bike, lift weights, walk the stairs, kayak. I'm up at 6-AM, in the garage working on something. Usually finish about 3-4 PM. Not every day but most days.

Over the course of my life I've heard these comments and many, many more.

"You're getting older you deserve a riding lawnmower. Hire somebody to fix this or that. You deserve it. Sure I rent a golf cart. I can afford it now so I deserve it. Why should I wash and wax my MH??? I can afford it so I'll pay somebody to do it. I always park close so I don't have to walk to the mall. I never take the stairs when an elevator is always handy. Sure I wear these Wing-Tip shoes. They are the best dress shoes and I have to dress the part if I'm going to succeed. (Mean while you ruin your feet) Of course I always wear high heels. It's the latest style.

These any many more are all excuses to ruin your body not be as active as we go through life. Then when many get into their 60's they are overweight, out of shape, can't walk very far, have heart problems, have to use a C-PAP machine, can't bend over, can't get up and down and many are type 2 diabetics. If you don't want to be a type 2 diabetic all most have to do is exercise, loose the weight. But because of the extra pounds most can't exercise because of their bad joints. But even still today of the millions of diabetics 90% are type 2. I don't think there is any good reason or excuse.

Life is about choices. You can choose to be active or not. You can choose to eat correctly or not. You can choose to smoke or not. You can choose to exercise or not. But remember there is no miracle pill to fix stupid. When we make bad choices there are bad results sooner or later.

When I was 62 I was blind-sided by a heart issue. I had a 95% blockage in the "widow maker" artery. I'm alive today because of my previous life style. Since then I have had two additional stents. When I attended my heart-re-hab program about 18 months ago we had a class one day and I told the class this.

"We all had a heart issue and are here in re-hab for two reasons:
1. Hereditary facts and 2. life style. We can't change the hereditary facts and if we don't change our life style why would you expects different results? If you don't change number 2 you will be back.

I firmly believe that statement. I also am alive today because I took care of myself when I was younger. Oh by the way. I test my blood sugar 6-8 times a day, every day without fail. I can't control my diabetes unless I know my BS.

Got to finish my daily glass of wine then go for a run.

Take care and I hope I didn't offend anybody. That was not my intent. But I am very direct in what i believe. I am also alive because of what I believe. Yes I know God is in that equation as well.

TeJay
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So said the coyote
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Mrfoto;2128465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I was like that till I checked into hospital,, then suddeenly I did 800 miles in 48 hours.

So what was the diagnosis from hospital? Not quite sure what you meant on the 800 miles in 48 hours?

Congestive heart failure and Arterial Flutter (A low rent relative of A-Fib) Heart working at 20 percent when I walked in 49 when I walked out (50 and up is normal). In short they fixed me.

800 miles in 48 hours (rounded)

Left Taylor Moose around 2:30PM on Thanksgiving Eve (Wed before Thanksgiving)

Drove to Ohio spent the night (There was some pausing and re-fueling in here) drove to Viola TN for the next night Found a Wal-Mart around 7:30 AM on Black Friday and did my BF shopping (one item one very useful item) then hit Murphy's USA and filled up ye old motor home again (Well emptied my Gift card).

Pulled into South Cove (Oconee County Park) in Seneca about 2:30 on Black Friday .. almost exactly 48 hours later.

Only person driving.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
"I'm 40 and driving 9am to 6pm wears me out!"

You are a hazard on the road. You are driving longer than commercial drivers are allowed to. Please stay away from me.
I call bullcrap, that is only 9 hours! Commercial driver's can drive 11 hours a day, after a cont. 10 hours off duty. That gives them 3 hours for showers , meals etc. It used to be drive 10 hours a day after 8 hours off duty. and not more that 14 hours total on duty and driving in a 24 hour period! Sorry, but get it right? Rail!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #66

We drove from IA. to CA. twice nonstop 38 hrs. 1965 miles.
Course was in our younger days . No need any more.
Now we try to adhere to the 3-3-3. Philosophy.
Drive under 300 miles!
Stop before 3 PM.
Stay at least three days.!
Doesn't work all the time, but that is what we shoot for.
Am 68+ With a pacemaker and titanium heart valve.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
The one thing I can still do about as well as when I was younger is drive, it doesn't seem to tire me out.

Just bought some property and starting to use a chainsaw to start clearing. 4 hours of cutting pretty much does me in. Cut a path/road into the property and had to spread some gravel on a slope for traction so I bought ~50 lb bags & struggled to lift/carry. When I was right out of college and thrown into a mine supervisor position I could carry 2-94lb bags of concrete all day long, carry 14 ft cross ties, and lit/carry rail.

Life goes on & it's better then the alternative.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The one thing I can still do about as well as when I was younger is drive, it doesn't seem to tire me out.

Just bought some property and starting to use a chainsaw to start clearing. 4 hours of cutting pretty much does me in. Cut a path/road into the property and had to spread some gravel on a slope for traction so I bought ~50 lb bags & struggled to lift/carry. When I was right out of college and thrown into a mine supervisor position I could carry 2-94lb bags of concrete all day long, carry 14 ft cross ties, and lit/carry rail.

Life goes on & it's better then the alternative.
Make sure you know the quickest way to the nearest hospital and always have another person around when acting like right out of college.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have gotten alot of good advice here on this thread, I would suggest you look into 2 things. 1. Contact you doctor about doing the Boston Heart Institute blood test, the most comprehensive blood test available anywhere. 2. There have been alot of suggestions about getting rid of processed foods and high carb foods, look at the Paleo diet or at least a modified Paleo that eliminates processed foods and teaches you how to eat whole, real foods. At 60, I can work a 13 hr night shift, get off in the morning, load up the MH and drive to our site, set up then take a nap. I need to also say I race MTB but only started racing bikes 5 yrs ago.

RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote