Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fatigue and stamina

Ok road warriors
I am curious about my health issues and any suggestions on pushing back against aging.
I am sneaking up on big 70 and I am slowing down too much for my satisfaction. I mentioned to my doctor that in the last year I give out early, lack of stamina, etc. I fight bad back issues, loss of motion in neck and turning head, type II diabetes. Doc did blood work and said ok but very low testosterone level was all that he saw. My problem is I get up full of energy and by 3:00 in the afternoon I am done. That now includes driving the motorhome 9-3. I take breaks driving every 2 hours driving, but where I used to drive until 5 or 6 oclock, now it is more like drive 9-11, break, drive 11-1 then lunch break, drive 2-3 or 3:30 and I am exhausted. Is this just the aging process? What does everyone do to combat this? I enjoy a nap at home, but I don't always have that luxury on the road.

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's all part of getting older. I'm older than you and experience all of those problems of fatigue. Just adjust your routine and learn to enjoy it. I do take a little nap after lunch most days. Feels good.

You can fight it, but you won't win. Sit back, do what you can and then take a break. I used to feel guilty when I didn't get done what I had planned to do. I don't anymore. I have an excuse.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

I have reduced my driving days to a max of 300 miles to combat fatigue. Even that is sometimes a long day. I still enjoy driving the rig but the crowed highways make it work.
There are people who drive less and people who drive more hours per day. You just have to suite your schedule.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have reduced my driving per day to 150 miles. I have, in the past, been so exhausted after driving300 miles, I could not even un-hook the camper.

Now, if we want to travel more than 150 miles in a day, my wife takes over driving, while I take a nap.

By the way, you are doing good. I am 8 years younger than you!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was like that till I checked into hospital,, then suddeenly I did 800 miles in 48 hours.

Recommendation is to have a FULL physical, on a regular basis. LOT T may be a factor.. though mine tested normal when last tested.

Type 2 diabetes.. Watch your diet and blood glucose, In fact test often. (I test twice a day minimum) as high blood sugar will put you to sleep.

LOW makes you act drunk

BOTH can kill you
Old 07-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=wa8yxm;2128431]I was like that till I checked into hospital,, then suddeenly I did 800 miles in 48 hours.

So what was the diagnosis from hospital? Not quite sure what you meant on the 800 miles in 48 hours?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

If you are pushing 70 (as I am) my question is what's your hurry? Most folks I have heard from stop pushing the super days and slow down to see the scenery and enjoy the drive. Two to three hundred miles is a long day and avoid the super slabs. One see's more, feels better, and gets better milage at 55 than 75. ;-)
Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Well you did not mention "diet" or vitimin suppliments you take, if you do. Exercise as well as proper and good rest is a necessary routine. The heart needs to pump to insure that all internal organs are getting the correct nourishment to function properly.
Check out a good nutrishionist and exercise therapist.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Ok road warriors
I am curious about my health issues and any suggestions on pushing back against aging.
I am sneaking up on big 70 and I am slowing down too much for my satisfaction. I mentioned to my doctor that in the last year I give out early, lack of stamina, etc. I fight bad back issues, loss of motion in neck and turning head, type II diabetes. Doc did blood work and said ok but very low testosterone level was all that he saw. My problem is I get up full of energy and by 3:00 in the afternoon I am done. That now includes driving the motorhome 9-3. I take breaks driving every 2 hours driving, but where I used to drive until 5 or 6 oclock, now it is more like drive 9-11, break, drive 11-1 then lunch break, drive 2-3 or 3:30 and I am exhausted. Is this just the aging process? What does everyone do to combat this? I enjoy a nap at home, but I don't always have that luxury on the road.
Mrfoto
My doctor orderd a sleep study, which found sleep apnea.
I've been using a CPAP all night night every night for 3+ years.
No more falling asleep at the wheel, (or naps every afternoon).
Medicare paid for a CPAP machine that runs on both 120VAC and/or 12VDC.
This getting old is getting old!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm 40 and driving 9am to 6pm wears me out!

I think you should give yourself some credit I would also highly recommend that you just evaluate the way you take care of yourself each day, and especially the foods you eat.

I would dare you to try something different, and cut your diet of processed foods, wheat, rice, potatoes, flour, beer (unless a gluten free variety - and trust me.. i love beer), and cut any beans (except green beans)

I know it sounds stupid, but the way foods are made today can seriously put your body in a slump.

That leaves you eating chicken (not fried), pork, beef (pastured only), turkey, fish + plus a variety of vegetables. And if you hate those things, well.. you'll eat less, which in turn will actually make you feel better anyway

You never did quite address your weight and diet. But this I know, whenever you are now, there's always room for improvement.

And I discovered i LOVE turkey burgers, no bread, just the meat, cooked in a skillet like a burger patty, with some avocado on the side ... or ground turkey cooked like taco meat and wrapped in lettuce instead of a tortilla - pretty darn good, and good for you!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
OH and ya know what? That cpap suggetion might be a good one! I sleep with one, and I hated it at first, now I can't sleep without it!!!! But it's horrible at the first haha, but then you get used to it.

And by processed food, I mean just about anything that comes out of a box (or a bag). Just think about it everytime you eat, and peek at what you have going on in there.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #12

To many years of driving 12 hours a day........So you stop a 3pm......you deserve it. If your health is OK then enjoy a short day. I do.......58 years old! I always get a good space and I'm having dinner while others are just rolling in. Its not so bad.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
A sincere "Thanks" to all the comments, because at our age doctors blow us off and blame the age issue. Yes I have had the sleep study 7 years ago and found out I had severe sleep apnea and was put on cpap machine. I still fight the machine sometimes but I am still alive.
I have been type II diabetes for 5 years and had to change my carb heavy diet tremendously. Also had to cut back on red meats, pastas, etc. Started walking more, eating controlled portions and went from 229 lbs to 185. Currently 194, but have not been able to walk and exercise as much due to osteoarthritis acting up. I am looking at changing my medicare supplemental insurance to one that offers the Silver Sneakers Program.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
"I'm 40 and driving 9am to 6pm wears me out!"

You are a hazard on the road. You are driving longer than commercial drivers are allowed to. Please stay away from me.