RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

Favorite surprise restaurant, diner find .

I have a few I can mention. In 2014 we were driving thru Gallup New Mexico and got off 40 , was looking for a place to eat with decent parking came across a restaurant named Don Deigos. Now understand , we southerners don't get the best mexican food around here so some of this might have been a bit of excitement but on that day , that was one of the best mexican meals I can remember Large portions . Back in 2000, we were leaving Carlsbad NM heading over to Alamogordo, went thru Artesia, stopped at a restaurant named LA Fonda, they had a great buffet, went back a few tears later was a bit disappointed because that day was no buffet but that first trip was great. I look at reviews from time to time and see both of these generally rate 3.5 to 4.1 but I enjoyed them on the day I visited. One thing I will mention , down here in the south at our version of mexican , If you order a sopaipilla you get a hard crispy thing sorta like an elephant ear, out west I noticed all theirs were soft and puffed up . Other places I will mention nearer home are The Chicken Lickin in Hardeeville SC, one of the best BBQ ribs ever. This place sit right next to I-95 , also I will mention Shulers in Latta SC, This is a restaurant featured on the tv show , the Profit, really good southern cooking , good BBQ ( if you like vinegar base) good fried chicken. Used to be a place near Charleston SC going toward Folly Beach, called the Anchor , seafood right off the boat, hush puppies, slaw, all in this ole cinder block building with cement floors. In Mt Pleasant SC across the bridge from Charleston is a place called Pages Okra grill, everything I have ever had was great, they do shrimp n grits and serve with these fired grit cakes . I have tons more around the south, a few out west and I bet everyone has a place that surprised them or was a hole in the wall sorta place with good food.

Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Betty’s Pies, Two Harbors, Minnesota.
https://bettyspies.com

LC’s Hamburgers, Kansas City, Missouri.

MuddBones, Bonham, Texas.
https://www.muddbonestx.com

Big Jud’s Hamburgers, Ashton, Idaho.

Chuy's Red Snapper, Nuevo Progreso, Mexico

.... to name a few ....

Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post

.... to name a few ....
I lived in the Kansas City area for many years and LC's was a favorite of mine. Just surprised that someone would mention this out of the way hole in the wall place. Good ole juicy hamburger with fried onions.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #4

Champys Chicken in Tuscumbia, AL & also Avocados in Monroe, LA
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #5

Champys , gotta be good.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #6

We were on a road trip (non-RV) a few years ago and we stopped in Torrey, Utah at Capitol Reef National Park and we asked at our motel where to go for dinner. They told us to go to Cafe Diablo on the other side of town.

So off we go to this rather bland yellow building with a gravel parking lot. We walked in and the owner/chef was standing at the register when we came in. He asked us where we were from and when we told him Buffalo, NY, he asked if we had seen the article in a recent Times edition about the restaurant. I joked that it might have been in the "Torrey Times" so we missed it. He explained that it was in the NY Times and it was a full page spread.

The food, the presentation, and even the atmosphere was more upper scale than what we would have expected from rural Utah. If you get to Torrey and Capitol Reef be sure to visit Cafe Diablo. It was only open from April to October and I'm hoping it is still there.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

Favorite surprise restaurant, diner find .

Colorado;

Quincy's - Leadville - Quincy's Steakhouse - - Steak at a great price $

K's Dairy Delight - Buena Vista - https://www.yelp.com/biz/ks-dairy-delite-buena-vista - Lunch - One of those local attractions - Location $

OK there's a problem here! We both Cook and I have a list that would take a Week just to write down, From Coast to Coast and actually Around the World.

I started this with a Couple spots in mind but then the List exploded ----- seems as if we actually have eaten out a Lot .

From Biker bars (Green Chili) to Former White House Chiefs restaurants (Shrimp and Grits) - HH Harbor - Think the problem is we do eat out and we do Ask the Locals - Now we have been directed to some pretty Bad (Fried - Buffets) but we have also had some great Meals

So............think this needs to be much more specific as to location and Type of Menu. .

Great topic - think I'll Bookmark it for later.

Keep them Coming,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post

.... to name a few ....

I am very familiar with Betties Pies. Been going there since the late 1950’s. Stopped going after Betty sold out and the operation was moved to the large new building. When Betty made them on site in the original small double wide near the hwy they were great. Since they are not made on site anymore we stopped going. Still good, just not as good as before.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Found a dive place near the Orlando Airport in a la Quinta inn parking lot.

We had the best Ahi Seared Tuna i have ever eaten. Had to actually go back again this week when we were in the area (1 hour away). It is the Fish on Fire restaurant Fish On Fire | Orlando seafood and fish fry restaurant
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #10

The Butcher Shop in San Diego followed by a restaurant in Genoa Italy but that’s a long drive in an RV, lol lol lol 😂
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stopped in Gila Bend AZ while traveling. Saw ad for the Space Age Restaurant so had to check it out. Had a very nice and inexpensive breakfast. Space oriented décor was a hoot too...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #12

Yeah that would be a long drive, but when they build that bridge , I'll be the first one on it.