Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

Fear of cell phone contracts?

Why is there a fear of having a cell phone contract? Commercials are rife with "no contract" by-lines, and this forum has a lot of threads about "no contracts".

I have always had a contract and never had a problem.

I upgrade my phones and renew my contract every 1.5 to 3 years, depending on the gains in technology during the period.

Sup?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
On tracfone I pay for the minutes I use. Where with VW I had to buy 1200 minutes and pay for it and use very little of them and was stuck with it.
Of course that just me saving money, way I look at it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I can get the same service for $12 a month per phone rather than $60 per phone and I can upgrade or downgrade service minutes with no penalty. If I don't like the service I can quit with no penalty. Makes it a win win for us low minute users.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Low minute user here too. I had a "pay as you go" cheapo phone for several years - just had no use for a 'smartphone'. But I had minutes stacked up out the wazzoo, due to very little cell phone use. Hated having to buy more minutes each month jsut to keep service going!
I didn't even begin my very limited texting till last hunting season, to one buddy. Didn't want to spook Bambi by talking when we were in our respective stands.
I finally took the plunge and got onboard Verizon with my nifty new smartphone. I use it a lot more - online, checking e-mail whail away from home, paying some bills, hitting a few of my favorite forum sites (yes, IRV2 is one!), etc. I still use only a quarter or less of my 1Gig of data. I do not do video downlowds or music.
I also use it for the calendar function, to keep track of both mine and my Mother's medical appointments. I have also amazed her by instantly googling or wiki checking some factoid or subject she expresses an interest in, while at her home (she has no PC). Used the GPS on a couple occasions. The camera comes in handy too, though I was shocked to find that Google+ was putting all my pics online! Oh crap! Had to delete them and turn that unwanted 'feature' off!
All in all, I wish I'd done this years ago! Service coverage is a lot better too. In too many cases I found the little cheapo phone had no service on the road! I carried it for road emergencies - hate to need it and find it useless!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

I'm with the OP. I spread the cost of the phone over the length of the contract. We don't use many talk minutes but do use a lot of data and the ability to increase or decrease our data monthly works for us. Our current contract is up soon and will be able to upgrade our phones with no increase in monthly charges and very little initial cost.
Every one's wants and needs are a little different and what works great for is not necessarily great for another.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, I can get the same service for $12 a month per phone rather than $60 per phone and I can upgrade or downgrade service minutes with no penalty. If I don't like the service I can quit with no penalty. Makes it a win win for us low minute users.
May I inquire what phone and service you have?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
May I inquire what phone and service you have?
Thanks
Sure: PagePlus through Kitty Wireless. Runs on the Verizon network but costs way less. Here in the Pacific NW Verizon has much better coverage and strength. With AT&T I couldn't get a signal at my desk and had to stand by a window or go outside. With Verizon I can get service even in the basement or elevator shaft.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sure: PagePlus through Kitty Wireless. Runs on the Verizon network but costs way less. Here in the Pacific NW Verizon has much better coverage and strength. With AT&T I couldn't get a signal at my desk and had to stand by a window or go outside. With Verizon I can get service even in the basement or elevator shaft.
Thanks a bunch, sadly it seems to be a US plan, however mine is only 10.00+tax and I don't text, but calling is all over North America, probably overseas too, but the minutes would be gone in a flash...

Good to know however I do have friends in the US who could benefit from this plan... never heard of it, Thanks for the info, I shall pass it on!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #9

Possible reasons for not liking contracts

Needs change, may need to add/drop line. Is children share 1 phone, not 1 each.

Friends are on another network , plan allows unlimited only to ppl on same network

You move and new house is in a dead spot for you (telus has a weak signal in my subdivision for example.

New much better deal comes from competing network

Unsure of finances may need to cancel

I prefer it if we adopted a no term contract with phones purchased at cost. I use an unlocked Google phone, can tether without extra charge, switch sim card when abroad and have done so.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
even verizon now has some deals out there with no contracts.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

The cell phone company I use here for our non work phones has open ended " no contract" unlimited province wide calling, unlimited text, full speed data to 5gb throttled "fair use" after exceeded add unlimited Canada USA for a set price, add more full speed data for a set price, under 30 a month, billed automatically monthly, no cancel fee, stay with them for x months and the phone costs x dollars, stay with them a couple of years phone is free. Simple and hassle free