Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #1

Just wonder how many are still needed, I see them headed south on I-65 every day. It has to be a pain for those still waiting after this much time has passed since Katrina.

Hate to think of people still displaced at this time of year, I know the trailers are not a home but are better than a motel room.

Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #2

Just wonder how many are still needed, I see them headed south on I-65 every day. It has to be a pain for those still waiting after this much time has passed since Katrina.

Hate to think of people still displaced at this time of year, I know the trailers are not a home but are better than a motel room.

Terry

Old 12-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #3

I know many people that are still displaced. Some members of our church from Venice are some of them.

You see, some areas are so totally devastated, that there is no place to even put the FEMA trailers. The area where we are from, does not even have electricity yet. EVERY building down there must be bulldozed and burned. They must then redo the infrastructure. Only then can anyone begin to rebuild. The FEMA trailers can't even be placed until they are able to be hooked up. We are lucky that we were on our way into the army anyway and have a home here at Ft. Bragg now. These people are standing by waiting for the OK to return.

For info on my home area, here is a link...

http://www.plaqueminesparish.com/

As you can see, they have barely begun to recover. There are links to pictures and stories there as well. The parish (county to you guys) was totally devastated. I went back in October to see if we could recover anything from our home. It was unfathomable. I recovered a bushel basket full of misc stuff among the debris, and found 2-3 bins of christmas items as our attic had been untouched. I have pictures of our visit posted here.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mamaloya5/album?.dir=4f8a...oo.com/ph//my_photos

I have not thought about it much since then. Looking at our Parish's website brought tears to my eyes again. Those people did not have much to begin with. I cannot imagaine moving back there.

So yes, there is still a great need for FEMA trailers.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #4

Sandra
Your family went from the "frying pan to the fire" so to speak, going from a Hurricane devistated area to serving our troops as a Military Chaplains family, both are challenges most are not up to.

After 24 years on the Military I know what an important job you husband has, especially at this time of war and I also know he could not face it without your full support.

I just want to thank your whole family for your unselfish service to this country, especially the troops and their families at a time when your personal life was turned upside down by nature.

Merry Christmas.

Terry
Old 12-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #5

Terry,
I am a volunteer down in Bay St Louis, Mississippi. This is the place the eye of the hurricane came ashore. The devastation here is so hard to describe. We are tearing out houses daily. We put every thing out on the edge of the street to be hauled away. Once we can help the folks get there yard in shape to handle a FEMA trailer they can get one. The big hold up is that the Bectal corparation which is overseeing this is being paid by the month and not per trailer. So it is to their advantage to take as long as they can in delivering a trailer.So many are ready but the Bectal folks are slowing things down. You should see the trailers setting along I-10 near Gulf Port which are waiting to be used.The ones you see going to Mississippi are stacking up.
I have been there for months and will keep on as long as my wife allows me to stay.
If any one out there who is retired and have the time, get in your RV and come on down. We will find a place for you to boondock and give you a shower and most of your meals. You will have a reward which will stay with you for a life time. It is far better than setting in front of a computer or TV and putting on weight this winter.This work will be on going for some time.
My few days in Tennessee for the holidays as been so exciting. But the excitement of helping these folks who have lost so much is so great.
Please come.
TC

WRV of Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #6

Will it help to write congress about Bectal and demand they break up the log jam,, The government awarded the contract, they can put pressure to make things happen if enough people complain, do you agree?? I'm willing to spread the word, let me know what you think.

Terry