Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The closest I ever got to owning a Beemer was a 72 Datsun 510. It was a two door with rusty fenders , but for a 4 banger it was fast.
Last August pick up a 97 GMC Z71 truck for my daily driver.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BMW= Big Money Waste
I'll stick to my Subaru, thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #17

Beemers are expensive and you should have known that before buying the car. You are buying parts for a car that cost around $75,000 (?) new, and the part price does not go down even if it's for a used car. I don't think you can apply a Consumers Digest financial analysis to your situation. The only consolation is that you have a 7 series BMW, but will only have the used car price and maintenance costs.

My affliction if Alfa Romeos, but they don't cost as much to maintain or upgrade (well, a set of new Hoosier race tires cost $1200, and I buy a set every year, but that's another topic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielw824 View Post
Anyone have a finicky older car they keep .... even though it takes a lot of money to keep it going? We have an older BMW ... a '98 750iL. Bought it 18 months ago. We've put in a new: Battery, Radiator, brakes, center console/arm rest. Had transmission flushed with new filter (husband insisted).

Hubby wants to do the plugs AND wires himself. Just ordered all that and CO2 sensors for $1200+ ... just for parts.

Went to BMW dealer/service for oil change. According to them ... need approx. $5K of repairs. That's IN ADDITION to the $1200+ mentioned. Apparently EVERYTHING is leaking. Radiator, oil, power steering hoses. We ARE going elsewhere for 2nd qoute. ONLY paid for oil change. NONE of the repairs are engine related. There's replace radiator (most expensive),front main seal,Quibo (flex coupler), thrust rod bushings, rear ball joints, etc.

IF you have a finicky car .... how do you justify the money? We keep saying ... OK we'll do this and we're done. But .... it's never done!

p.s. Our older truck is doing same to us. Sucking dollars out of our pockets every year. From July 2010 to December, 2012 we sunk $8,000+ into our truck. SOME of it elective upgrades .... power mirrors, injectors, etc... But MOST of it repairs (again, nothing engine related though).
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 1976 Mercedes 240D that I have owned and maintained myself for 35 years. Nothing finicky about it. While being far from a "modern car", it is really simplicity in motion. No computers or electronics of any kind, its all mechanical. Its not my daily driver, but used to be---till I got old and started wanting all the marvels of the modern driving machine. I now have a Honda CRV as the daily driver, and have relegated the old Benz to Sunday morning breakfast runs when the weather is cool out. (no air conditioning).
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #19

That 750 iL is probably ready for the scrap pile. I have owned a bunch of BMW's and even the newer ones can get expensive when they only need regular service or minor repairs. The 750's are well known money pits when they get older. Not sure what your budget is, but clean it up and cut your loss. If you are sold on the Beemers then you can buy a lot of three series models for under 20k and they will perform better and operate less expensively. This would be 6-8 year old models of course. I have known of some new 750's that got to expensive for BMW to service under warranty so BMW bought them back, but that is another story.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Old(er) cars can be a money pit - but, they can be a lot of fun. Over the years, I've owned everything from a '57 Chevy to a Triumph Spitfire, Mercedes Benz, a couple BMWs, and several Porsches. Most of the money went to a '55 Porsche Speedster Carrera, which, I later found out, was the one-and-only '55 Porsche Speedster Carrera built.

The money I put into it pales by comparison to what the second-to-last owner spent to restore it to it's original glory. The final owner is Dr Porsche, and it now resides in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany. Dr Porsche spent an amazing amount of money to acquire "my" Speedster and bring it home to Germany...unfortunately, he didn't give the money to me.

Read more at:

WDM - Pagosa Springs, CO - More Cars I've Loved

Sometimes putting money into an old(er) car is the right thing to do. And sometimes it takes rather deep pockets...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a '73 Triumph Spitfire. Talk about finicky! We have a saying in the LBC (Little British Car) world: "You take it out, you fix it."
Right now it's sitting in the garage leaking differential oil all over because the driveshaft seal decided to mysteriously self-destruct. I haven't had the time to fix it.
The good news is parts are readily available and fairly inexpensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MagentaSpit.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	821.3 KB
ID:	33889  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #22

Amen to the price of parts compared to price of new car. I have a 1932 Chevrolet Confederate BA. Just finding new parts is a pain in the neck. For instance, I needed a new radiator cap, $140+ S&H. Dad accidentally leaned against the passenger-side rear-seat window, >$400+ S&H. Those are not connected to the restoration costs. OH, new price of the car, $600 in 1932.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I have a '73 Triumph Spitfire. Talk about finicky! We have a saying in the LBC (Little British Car) world: "You take it out, you fix it."
Right now it's sitting in the garage leaking differential oil all over because the driveshaft seal decided to mysteriously self-destruct. I haven't had the time to fix it.
The good news is parts are readily available and fairly inexpensive.
At one time I had a Brit car with the electronics designed by the prince of darkness. If it rained on the other side of the county that frigging car wouldn't start. I hated everything Lucas at that point in my life.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 1973 Mustang Convertible with the 351 Cleveland 2V engine with automatic trans. Purchased it new in Anchorage, Alaska. I still have the original window sticker, sales contract and title.

Top on it was cut 3 times by vandals so now it stays in the garage.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Love our two Honda's!

Not much character but cheap to run and keep running!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I have a '79 Spitfire that was once my daily driver, but is now in need of an overhaul. I have to choose whether the money goes in Spit of the RV. That's why the Spit is parked behind the RV so I can't see it.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #27

1972 mercury comet 351w 4 speed with sliders 538 gears nos runs 10.80 all day long a money pit but fun
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #28

Among my 'hobby' cars, I had a few BMWs, the last being a 1985 M6. A ball to drive but it needed regular attention. I was able to fix everything myself but it finally outsmarted me one day and erupted in flames. The tears weren't enough to douse it.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote